Is your boy obama for real?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
BTW, Skull, on that second issue...dead right.

If your position is that you're skeptical that offshore drilling will have an immediate effect on bringing down prices (in spite of the good face that oil companies are trying to present on once again having had their way with their buddies in the present administration...I mean, a 15 BILLION DOLLAR PROFIT per QUARTER??? Somebody's getting over like a FAT rat. And there are more than a few of those!) then stick to that position.

Saying now you support offshore drilling seems to send too mixed a message.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What Obama actually said about off-shore drilling.........UNFILTERED:
Now, increased domestic oil exploration certainly has its place as we make our economy more fuel-efficient and transition to other, renewable, American-made sources of energy. But it is not the solution. It is a political answer of the sort Washington has given us for three decades.

There are genuine ways in which we can provide some short-term relief from high gas prices – relief to the mother who’s cutting down on groceries because of gas prices, or the man I met in Pennsylvania who lost his job and can’t even afford to drive around and look for a new one. I believe we should immediately give every working family in America a $1,000 energy rebate, and we should pay for it with part of the record profits that the oil companies are making right now.

I also believe that in the short-term, as we transition to renewable energy, we can and should increase our domestic production of oil and natural gas. But we should start by telling the oil companies to drill on the 68 million acres they currently have access to but haven’t touched. And if they don’t, we should require them to give up their leases to someone who will. We should invest in the technology that can help us recover more from existing oil fields, and speed up the process of recovering oil and gas resources in shale formations in Montana and North Dakota; Texas and Arkansas and in parts of the West and Central Gulf of Mexico. We should sell 70 million barrels of oil from our Strategic Petroleum Reserve for less expensive crude, which in the past has lowered gas prices within two weeks. Over the next five years, we should also lease more of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska for oil and gas production. And we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves and work with the Canadian government to finally build the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline, delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^Thanks for the re-translation, without all the anti-Obama filters.

I've pretty much given up. I just don't wanna hear any bitching when McCain gets elected and our economy is down the drain and the price for college is more outrageous than it already is

AMEN. After Mccain fucks this country up I'm gonna slap anyone I hear complaining who voted for the doucheag.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
^Thanks for the unfiltered translation. BTW, "is your boy for real", "fanboy" and "your boy", it's clear the OP was intending to send a certain message. Racist or not, it was a cheap shot at Obama and his supporters but it's the kind we're all used to, discreet and to-the-point.

Offshore drilling won't make a difference, it's the pigs at the top of that pile that need some....readjustment.

D

deleted15807

Everyone does realize that whatever oil is drilled offshore is not American oil and will not necessarily end up in Chevy Tahoe's. Oil is sold on the OPEN MARKET and anyone can buy it. So the idea that it's offshore American oil and it's ours is incorrect. Trying to explain this to the typical voter would be utterly useless so McCain's cheap shots are very effective and very wrong.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/analysis_publications/oil_market_basics/price_transactions.htm

The plutocrats know the public is stupid and don't bother to connect the dots. Offshore drilling will only make the oil companies richer. Congratulations again America for being duped yet again.

Last edited by a moderator:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The plutocrats know the public is stupid and don't bother to connect the dots. Offshore drilling will only make the oil companies richer. Congratulations again America for being duped yet again.

Exactly. No matter what country gets the oil, they're still gonna give it to us up the ass, no lube. What we need more than offshore drilling is more regulation for these guys that are too busy playing golf on their private islands to care that no one can afford to get to work.:frown1:

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The OP clearly did not mean "boy" in a negative way at all. "he's my boy" is used to describe a close friend, be they black or white. If you are a white guy and your best buddy is black, . . .

A couple of people have PM'ed me also to make the point that Skull Mason's use of "boy" wasn't racist. I think Skull Mason's smart enough to know how the word "boy" can be interpreted, and at best he chose his words unwisely.

In any case, your first paragraph is irrelevant: Skull Mason wasn't calling Obama a close friend of his, and he didn't call Obama "my boy", he called him "your boy".

Also, Skull Mason wasn't paying Obama a compliment, he was being critical of "your boy".

It happens daily on Pardon The Interruption on ESPN between a white guy (Tony Kornheiser) and black guy (Fred Wilbon) when one or the other is trying to make a point about a guy the other guy is known to like or defend.

I.E. Wilbon will say to Kornheiser "Dwayne Wade...yer boy...scored 37 points last night...etc."

As you mentioned, Wilbon is black. Also, Wilbon is 23 years older than Wade; old enough to be his father.

Neither of the examples you've cited involve a white man referring to a black man two decades his senior as a "boy".

He clearly wasn't using "boy" in racist terms.

I went back and searched for other posts by Skull Mason that referred to other people as "your boy": He's never done so in a complementary way, but he has (once) called a white guy "your boy" (here).

While I disagree that it was clear, I'm willing to concede reasonable doubt based on his previous usage of "your boy". I still believe it was a poor choice of words.

lucky8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
U.S. oil companies are hardly to blame for high prices, that's just ignorant. We only have around 2% of the worlds oil reserves, explain to me how our companies could possibly have any say on what price oil is traded at. Speculators, OPEC, and higher demand are the real problems

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But we should start by telling the oil companies to drill on the 68 million acres they currently have access to but haven’t touched.

Funny how this 68 million acre figure gets thrown around. Ol Barrah likes to say the "oil companies haven't even touched them".

The Bureau of Land Management, nor the American Petroleum Institute knows how much of that is currently being already drilled on. That is fact. Oil companies are secretive about how/what/where given the competitive market and number of players involved. Additionally, there are a number of operations already occurring on that 68 million that are classified as "non-productive" or as the politicos like to throw out "not being touched". For example exploration that is already occurring on that land is not counted. Additionally, the process for setting up a production well is long and complex. There are thousands of holes currently underway, but not in "production"... thusly are sneaked in as "unused".

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sure, except that oil and business (especially the latter) keep money flowing through the country. The only problem with oil is that it's flowing too much of that money out of the country instead. If we could keep our fuel domestic, it would stimulate the economy.

Agreed... You MUST have balance. Surplus should be sold off to keep our domestic prices low.
Trade literally makes the world go round. If you Cease to have Trade, Your going to collapse the entire market, worldwide.

There's only 2 main candidates, Obama, and McCain.
McCain not really being a choice...so we're forced with Obama.
Here's Yahoo's spin on all of this
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080804/ap_on_el_pr/obama_energy

After reading that...I agree.... He's overstepping his bounds by telling the world - if I get elected, Im cutting Oil exports.
That's basically saying - Ok world, I'm not willing to trade this critical resource.
Suddenly, you become a lone wolf in a market that relies heavily on this good. Trade dwindles. Economies Fail, Families Starve and die.

Last edited:

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Funny how this 68 million acre figure gets thrown around. Ol Barrah likes to say the "oil companies haven't even touched them".

I agree, the media has to put a spin on it to gain interest from their viewers.

If the news was serious about giving people facts, they would say, that within those 68mill odd acres, 500,000 wells are currently underway.
The problem is, it will take about 10 years to get fully functional or to contribute to the market where it would make a change.

I almost think that the US could use it as an advantage towards OPEC. In one hand, we need regulation, but on the other, how much of a monopoly would be allowed?
Right now, I think it's more of a Money scam than true regulation. There's too much power, and it's too easy to strangle a country by raising their prices of oil.
Moreso, the Greed of the resellers.

Last edited:

uncut1234

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you guys are so out of touch, boy and son wernt meant in a racist way, every fuckin thing on here is considered racist you people are out of your minds.... boy or son is a word used buy alot of people, you would call one of your friends " your boy" ... he didnt mean it as boy, slave, black evil man, lets get real, im so fuckin sick of all the racist whinning, its pathetic

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
you would call one of your friends " your boy"

We've already been through this. He wasn't referring to Obama as a friend; in fact, he was being critical of him. There's a difference between "congratulations, my boy" and "tell your boy to get back in line and behave himself."

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
What Obama actually said about off-shore drilling.........UNFILTERED:
Now, increased domestic oil exploration certainly has its place as we make our economy more fuel-efficient and transition to other, renewable, American-made sources of energy. But it is not the solution. It is a political answer of the sort Washington has given us for three decades.

There are genuine ways in which we can provide some short-term relief from high gas prices – relief to the mother who’s cutting down on groceries because of gas prices, or the man I met in Pennsylvania who lost his job and can’t even afford to drive around and look for a new one. I believe we should immediately give every working family in America a $1,000 energy rebate, and we should pay for it with part of the record profits that the oil companies are making right now.

I also believe that in the short-term, as we transition to renewable energy, we can and should increase our domestic production of oil and natural gas. But we should start by telling the oil companies to drill on the 68 million acres they currently have access to but haven’t touched. And if they don’t, we should require them to give up their leases to someone who will. We should invest in the technology that can help us recover more from existing oil fields, and speed up the process of recovering oil and gas resources in shale formations in Montana and North Dakota; Texas and Arkansas and in parts of the West and Central Gulf of Mexico. We should sell 70 million barrels of oil from our Strategic Petroleum Reserve for less expensive crude, which in the past has lowered gas prices within two weeks. Over the next five years, we should also lease more of the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska for oil and gas production. And we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves and work with the Canadian government to finally build the Alaska Natural Gas Pipeline, delivering clean natural gas and creating good jobs in the process.

Thanks for the clarification because even the (usually reliable) NBC Evening News interpreted his statements as a shift in position which, as I said, can be confusing for the average voter, who doesn't want to read between the lines (or even read the lines for that matter).

And I've already noted above those record profits Obama is referring to. I don't care what the cost of oil is to the companies or what they pay per barrel. If you're clearing fifteen BILLION per QUARTER while the consumer pays thru the nose for gas, something's wrong.

Regarding racist comments: I don't believe that was the o.p.'s intent. He was writing in "jive talk" (maybe facetiously, maybe not - I suspect the latter.)

Unnecessary at any rate, "bro". Write in standard English. We'll figure it out. :rolleyes:

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks for the clarification because even the (usually reliable) NBC Evening News interpreted his statements as a shift in position which, as I said, can be confusing for the average voter, who doesn't want to read between the lines (or even read the lines for that matter).

And I've already noted above those record profits Obama is referring to. I don't care what the cost of oil is to the companies or what they pay per barrel. If you're clearing fifteen BILLION per QUARTER while the consumer pays thru the nose for gas, something's wrong.

Regarding racist comments: I don't believe that was the o.p.'s intent. He was writing in "jive talk" (maybe facetiously, maybe not - I suspect the latter.)

Unnecessary at any rate, "bro". Write in standard English. We'll figure it out. :rolleyes:
I find it is always better to listen to what the "candidate" is saying as opposed to how what the Candidate is saying gets interpreted in "cliff notes" for the masses...

D

deleted15807

I find it is always better to listen to what the "candidate" is saying as opposed to how what the Candidate is saying gets interpreted in "cliff notes" for the masses...

Is John McCain Stupid?
July 31, 2008; Page A13

Is John McCain losing it?

On Sunday, he said on national television that to solve Social Security "everything's on the table," which of course means raising payroll taxes. On July 7 in Denver he said: "Senator Obama will raise your taxes. I won't."

This isn't a flip-flop. It's a sex-change operation.

Rcent remarks by John McCain has some Republicans stewing. Wonder Land columnist Dan Henninger of the WSJ Editorial page talks with Kelsey Hubbard about McCain's need for a new strategy to beat Barack Obama. (July 31) He got back to the subject Tuesday in Reno, Nev. Reporters asked about the Sunday tax comments. Mr. McCain replied, "The worst thing you could do is raise people's payroll taxes, my God!" Then he was asked about working with Democrats to fix Social Security, and he repeated, "everything has to be on the table." But how can . . .? Oh never mind.

Yesterday he was in Aurora, Colo., to wit: "On Social Security, he [Sen. Obama] wants to raise Social Security taxes. I am opposed to raising taxes on Social Security. I want to fix the system without raising taxes."

What I'm asking is, does John McCain have the mental focus, the intellectual discipline, to avoid being out-slicked by Barack Obama, if he isn't abandoned by his own voters?

Wonder Land - WSJ.com