Isabel

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: Anyone tracking this storm and as worried as I am?

2. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: Yeah, I am! :(

The suspense is the worst part. I wish we just had more of an idea. I just watched the weather and they were like, "Well, we know it's going to hit somewhere between South Carolina and New Jersey." We just have to watch and wait.

3. Imported

Gold Member

4. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: Yeah Hapi, I'm tracking it too. According to the weather forecasters up here in NYC, we probably will get heavy rains along with 50 to 60 mph winds and that's only if it hit's the lower states. If it hits Virginia where you are or southern NJ it'll be a lot worst then that. I don't even want to think about it.

5. Imported

Gold Member

Longhornjok: My family vacations along the NC coast every summer, so I'm sure my folks are keepin' an eye on it, too. Stay safe, you rightcoasters!

6. Imported

Gold Member

sammygirly: Yes, we're tracking it for Max's sake since He's in Va at the moment...

7. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: I hope everybody will be okay! Let's all just use our mighty LPSG superpowers to push this thing out to sea. :)

I'm not scared of the storm so much. That's just a few hours, and you just ride it out. It's the aftermath that's a pain in the butt. After Hurricane Fran moved through the Triangle in the 90's (I think it was a Stage 2 at that point, and still did massive damage) my power was out for over two weeks. I lost hundreds of dollars in lost work time, etc. etc. :p

8. Imported

Gold Member

prepstudinsc: I heard this morning on the news that the projected path will skirt along the NC/SC coast and head north to make impact along the DelMarVa peninsula. We'll see....
    My area of northern SC, just south of Charlotte, NC, was hit pretty hard by Hurricaine Hugo, so just because I'm 150+ miles inland, doesn't mean I'm safe.

Monstro-I'm using my super LPSG powers to turn it out to sea, also.

9. Imported

Gold Member

throb919: Pretty nervous here. A lot of damage in Raleigh with Fran 8 years ago (as Monstro mentioned) and surely don't want to go through that again. Also--have a place on the coast, at Atlantic Beach, NC. (Hope it's still there this time next week.) While I hope it misses us, I surely don't wish Isabel on anybody else. Let's use these super-powers to veer her out to sea...

10. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: [quote author=AnonyMs link=board=99;num=1063596097;start=0#5 date=09/15/03 at 04:05:11]One of the nice things about hurricanes - you get plenty of warning, unlike tornadoes or earthquakes. [/quote]

Well that depends on whether you count the hurricane that hit the south of England in the late 80's. Michael Fish, a famous BBC weather man at the time stated on TV the night prior to it hitting:

'a lady has rung in to ask if there is going to be a hurricane tonight ...... there is not!"

What followed was the worst storm to hit these shores since 1703. The poor guy gets reminded of this more frequently than perhaps he deserves, though! :)

11. Imported

Gold Member

bblumbee: I am a little tense about the storm. Like several who mentioned it earlier, Fran and Hugo did a lot of damage here. Should Isabel continue her path and keep the intensity of her strength, I think we North and South Carolinians better look out.

My family suffered greatly from both of those storms. After Fran, however, we decided not to keep our vacation home. It was more of an expense than an enjoyment.

Keep you eyes posted... and share what you hear on the radio or TV. And, be safe!

12. Imported

Gold Member

H8Monga: I hated Fran... that was enough for me and by the time it passed through this area it was a tropical storm but it still kept me up all night. I stayed at my aunt's house then which was surrounded on all sides by tall old oak trees. I was so worried about that, but we were lucky nothing happened and it was a miracle we didn't lose power (which was funny because we always lost it on clear calm days there).

13. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Ah but Monstro the suspense I could deal with...tornadoes come from nowhere...

All our E Coast brethren...keep in touch as best you can if the worst happens...although I am not the moderator of this section, so I don't mean to step on AnonyMs's toes, if anyone wants to IM me with phone # or email addresses they can be reached at (although without electricity E-mail seems kinda stupid), please do...I'd like to ensure all are safe and sound...your choice, your trust.

All we have to worry about in this part of the country right now is the impending doom of blizzards...oh, you laugh...we once got 21 inches of snow on Halloween.

Paul

14. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: What's up folks, It's friggin pouring rain already over here but it not form the hurricane. It's from another disturbance coming from the West.

Hey Paul, its time to go to Home Depot huh?

15. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: Yeah, we're getting a lot of rain here too!  Not from Isabel, though.  So you guys pick me up something from Home Depot while you guys are there!

As of right now the local weather dweeb is saying Isabel will probably miss the Triangle.  But with almost a 300 mile margin of error, I'm still not letting my guard down.

16. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: No sense letting it down, that's just it...the old Boy Scout motto - be prepared.

Here, of course, we have to know what to do in the space of about 5-10 minutes:

1. Grab cats.
    2. Grab cell phone
    3. Head to dirty, dingy, filthy, unfinished basement.
    4. Pray that you don't get pulled off to Oz.
    5. Repeat until the wall cloud passes.

:D

Paul
    7x6&C

17. Imported

Gold Member

AnonyMs: Paul, sweetness: I hardly feel as though I am being usurped, expecially if someone is extending concern and kindness.

A storm of this magnitude is frightening indeed when you know you are in its path.

Weather is wreaking havoc around the globe - a typhoon has swept across Korea and Japan, killing 93, wounding 63 at last count and leaving 8900+ people homeless.

India is enduring its sixth week of torrential floods, with over 200 people killed and 100,000 + people evacuated from their homes.

For all our lpsg friends around the world, if you or someone you love is experiencing one of these natural disasters, let us know how we might help.

18. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: And I proffer this link too:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov

It's the National Weather Service - they update on Isabel 4 x a day.

Paul

19. Imported

Gold Member

awellhungboi: I just said this, more or less, to Prepstud in an IM, but I'd like to repeat it here. You guys are great. Prepstud, Paul, Jackinman, Longhornjok and others have shown more concern and sympathy for my safety and well-being than my own family has (although I'm not surprised about that.) So thank you. Believe me, just knowing that someone out there gives a damn is a major source of strength and help.

So I'd also like to say if there's anyone out there who needs anything, or is worried and just wants to talk, send me a message.

20. Imported

Gold Member

throb919: I seem to echo Monstro a lot these days (not a bad thing)--that or I'm becoming a groupie (maybe a bad thing)--so ditto on his thanks to y'all for your concern. It is appreciated.

(Paul--I would hate to see you trapped in that prison show on HBO! Call me if you need any...uh...y'know...pointers about...y'know...) ;-)

Tony

Draft saved Draft deleted