Islam !

ByAFountain

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The most ignorant thread on this site by far. To ban a religion for the violent actions of those who practice it/believe in it would mean banning all religions whom members commit crimes.

No one blamed Lutheranism for the Columbine High School Massacre.
No one blamed Catholics for the Oklahoma City Bombing.

This is what happens when religion & politics (vice versa) mix. But that a whole other topic.

The sad thing about this is that ccc888 isn't the only one with this ideology; and that's scary.

ubered

Experimental Member
Media
I speak Arabic and lived in the Middle East for many years. I feel I have to weigh in here.

A few admittedly well-researched and intelligent people in this thread have spent an awfully long time digging away to find evidence from 7th century Arabia to medieval Spain that supports their premise that Islam has treated other religions unfairly, condoned forced conversions, advocated violence.

Surely these people must know that just as they can find "intolerant" suras in the Qur'an, there are also loving and tolerant ones. I know, because I've read it. The Qur'an the major text of a major religion and like other comparable texts it has to have justifications for all kinds of things, otherwise it wouldn't have so much appeal. To be successful, a religious text must be able to be all things to all people. Anyone can find support for anything they want in a religious text; that's why Muslims don't agree on so many issues.

Saying that medieval Muslim rulers didn't treat Jews and Christians equally is obvious. Of course they didn't!! You can't compare medieval interfaith relationships using the yardstick of 20th century ideals of equality that didn't exist then. That's just poor thinking. In most cases, non-Muslims got a fairer deal under Muslim rule than under Byzantine rule. This is one of the reasons why the Arab conquests were so fast, people were done with the old order and Byzantium's persecution of "heretics". Of course there was conflict, of course there was violence at times - it was the Early Middle Ages!! Saying that some events from this era characterise Islam is just silly.

In fact, saying that Islam IS anything is silly. Think about it. There are around 1.5 billion Muslims in the world spread throughout many countries with radically different cultural traditions. Islam is not one thing, and cannot ever be one thing. It will always be multiplicitous and varied and will always adapt and change to new circumstances and contexts.

Terrorism. If we think the London bombings were bad, Muslims have been on the receiving end of the vast majority of extremist violence. So Europeans and North Americans shouldn't whinge too much about terrorism; try living in Algeria in the mid-1990s.

Radical Islam, from what I have seen recently around the Arab world has been on the decline since the late-1990s. I really think it's a spent force. Political Islam is not however, and most nationally based radical movements have either run out of steam or become conservative political parties that have accepted the rules of the democratic game (its just the regimes that don't play by them). The only thing to be afraid of is Arab regimes themselves, who are not Islamist at all.

Over and out...

Reactions: dreamer20

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm sure there are more than a few women out of the millions of Muslim women who wear veils who do so because they believe it is the right thing to do

More than a few??? Why else would they veil otherwise???

Ubered, you've provided a long post two above with a lot of sense in it, including the view that different moslems believe different things, and that all sorts of things can be found in the Koran. All this is good stuff. Then this one-liner about women wearing veils.

I'm sure there are some women who wear them because they want to. I'm also sure that there are some women who don't want to wear them but are forced into wearing them. In some countries they are a legal requirement. In others there are strong social requirements which may be enforced by family members. At least some of the women who wear veils wear them because they are coerced into wearing them. In some cases there certainly is repression of women which is manifested in forced veil wearing.

D_Myer_Dogasflees

Experimental Member
Media
i've got exams tomorrow so my time is tight, but in what ive scene and researched, islam is the deadliest of them all, beats others by a long stretch. so please excuse the rushed response, but i would like to see the result

it's not nazim, it's people?

ignorance is always the cut that causes the infection.

some infections are worse than others, but we all know what causes the infection, ignorance.

and yes, and not to say that anyone should seek predujice, in the long term it could develop a perment effect on the people too. ie http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?pi=1&ps=20&sf=added&sa=0&sq=&dm=2&s=_vDXy0vIbhQ&as=1#

the world needs reason. we need to make it our creed, reason and truth, veritas,

this is sparta!!!

Jason

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My two cents is that Islam's not the problem, and neither is religion. It's people.

You know the saying, "gun's don't kill people, people do". Same feelings towards religious extremism.

I would like to think that this were true. At least we could then see a realistic way forward for many of the world's problems. But I don't think it is true.

I don't think people who practice Islam are the problem. I think the problem is within the core religious doctrines of Islam, particularly Sharia law. Now of course many Moslems live in countries which don't follow Sharia law, but Sharia is nonetheless the law required by Islam and which all Moslems should seek to implement. From a Western standpoint there are enormous problems with Sharia's treatment of women and non-Moslems, its extreme punishments and very many other facets, for example its acceptance of slavery. You can't have Islam without Sharia, and seemingly there is no mechanism to reform Sharia. This is a very major problem without any obvious way forward. The problem is not people but the religion.

D_Clem Clodhopper

Just Browsing
Media
I would like to think that this were true. At least we could then see a realistic way forward for many of the world's problems. But I don't think it is true.

I don't think people who practice Islam are the problem. I think the problem is within the core religious doctrines of Islam, particularly Sharia law. Now of course many Moslems live in countries which don't follow Sharia law, but Sharia is nonetheless the law required by Islam and which all Moslems should seek to implement. From a Western standpoint there are enormous problems with Sharia's treatment of women and non-Moslems, its extreme punishments and very many other facets, for example its acceptance of slavery. You can't have Islam without Sharia, and seemingly there is no mechanism to reform Sharia. This is a very major problem without any obvious way forward. The problem is not people but the religion.
I don't think so. Early Christianity is also incompatible with Western society. But it reformed. That's what Islam needs. Will take a long time and won't happen in our lifetime but it has to happen.

D_Clem Clodhopper

Just Browsing
Media
i've got exams tomorrow so my time is tight, but in what ive scene and researched, islam is the deadliest of them all, beats others by a long stretch. so please excuse the rushed response, but i would like to see the result

it's not nazim, it's people?

ignorance is always the cut that causes the infection.

some infections are worse than others, but we all know what causes the infection, ignorance.

and yes, and not to say that anyone should seek predujice, in the long term it could develop a perment effect on the people too. ie http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions?pi=1&ps=20&sf=added&sa=0&sq=&dm=2&s=_vDXy0vIbhQ&as=1#

the world needs reason. we need to make it our creed, reason and truth, veritas,

this is sparta!!!
?

That was incoherent.

ubered

Experimental Member
Media
Ubered, you've provided a long post two above with a lot of sense in it, including the view that different moslems believe different things, and that all sorts of things can be found in the Koran. All this is good stuff. Then this one-liner about women wearing veils.

I'm sure there are some women who wear them because they want to. I'm also sure that there are some women who don't want to wear them but are forced into wearing them. In some countries they are a legal requirement. In others there are strong social requirements which may be enforced by family members. At least some of the women who wear veils wear them because they are coerced into wearing them. In some cases there certainly is repression of women which is manifested in forced veil wearing.

Hi Jason - I was just intending to draw attention to the tone of the original comment, that there really are some Muslim women who veil out of personal choice. It's amazing that this surprises people so much! Of course some are forced into it by families and by the laws of their countries (just as some women in Muslim countries are banned from wearing it in certain contexts); but it's funny how everyone has an opinion on how the majority of Muslim women feel, and this needs some thought.

I think that often people generally view women's role in Islam as submissive. Because everyone tends to see their own value system as being universal, many western liberals cannot accept the fact that a woman would choose a role they see as being submissive. The conclusion has to be that they are forced into it, because the other possible conclusion - that women chosing to veil are chosing their own cultural identity over a western liberal one is too much for most to deal with, because it forces us to face up to the fact that our liberal western values are not felt to be universal by everyone; we just say they are. And what's the point of having universal values if not everone accepts them? So, it's easier not to go down that road at all and just say that most women are forced into it. And let's be totally honest, most people say this without really ever having talked to any veiled women.

Interestingly though, telling a Muslim woman she's culturally forced into veiling; while she maintains she is veiling out of choice is tantamount to totally taking her voice away. She can't win, and is not given any right to autonomy or personal choice by western audiences. This speaks volumes about the west's longstanding cultural antipathy towards Muslims and its mysogeny.

Many Muslim women I've met who have decided to wear the veil have utterly shocked their secular parents with their decision. Others have told me they would like to, but don't feel ready yet. This can be about people's spiritual quests, marking their identity, a sign of protest or searching for something to anchor them in a shifting and dizzying world (just like we all are, if we're honest): and Muslim women are doing it in very very different ways than their veiled grandmothers or mothers; in most cases loudly, and defiantly. Women have never done this before in Muslim societies - ever. It's a massive departure and women's position in Islam will never be the same again.

Again, diversity: women veil for many different reasons in many different places. A veil does not have the same meaning in Riyadh as in the suburbs of Paris or Luton, or in Istanbul as in Washington DC.

Last edited:

ubered

Experimental Member
Media
Hi Jason and thanks for your comments. I was just intending to draw attention to the tone of the original comment, that there really are some Muslim women who veil out of personal choice. It's amazing that this surprises people so much! Of course some are forced into it by families and by the laws of their countries (just as some women in Muslim countries are banned from wearing it in certain contexts); but it's funny how everyone has an opinion on how the majority of Muslim women feel, and this needs some thought.

I think that often people generally view women's role in Islam as submissive. Because everyone tends to see their own value system as being universal, many western liberals cannot accept the fact that a woman would choose a role they see as being submissive. The conclusion has to be that they are forced into it, because the other possible conclusion - that women chosing to veil are chosing their own cultural identity over a western liberal one is too much for most to deal with, because it forces us to face up to the fact that our liberal western values are not felt to be universal by everyone; we just say they are. And what's the point of having universal values if not everone accepts them? So, it's easier not to go down that road at all and just say that most women are forced into it. And let's be totally honest, most people say this without really ever having talked to any veiled women.

Interestingly though, telling a Muslim woman she's culturally forced into veiling; while she maintains she is veiling out of choice is tantamount to totally taking her voice away. She can't win, and is not given any right to autonomy or personal choice by western audiences. This speaks volumes about the west's longstanding cultural antipathy towards Muslims and its mysogeny.

Many Muslim women I've met who have decided to wear the veil have utterly shocked their secular parents with their decision. Others have told me they would like to, but don't feel ready yet. This can be about people's spiritual quests, marking their identity, a sign of protest or searching for something to anchor them in a shifting and dizzying world (just like we all are, if we're honest): and Muslim women are doing it in very very different ways than their veiled grandmothers or mothers; in most cases loudly, and defiantly and on the streets in demonstrations. Women have never done this before in Muslim societies - ever. It's a massive departure and women's position in Islam will never be the same again.

Again, diversity: women veil for many different reasons in many different places. A veil does not have the same meaning in Riyadh as in the suburbs of Paris or Luton, or in Istanbul as in Washington DC.