Isn't it ironic?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I fail to see the irony. I agree that it is somewhat unfortunate, but ironic?

irony

Definition:

The use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning; a statement or situation where the meaning is contradicted by the appearance or presentation of the idea. Three kinds of irony are commonly recognized:

1. Verbal irony is a trope in which the intended meaning of a statement differs from the meaning that the words appear to express.
2. Irony of situation involves an incongruity between what is expected or intended and what actually occurs.
3. Dramatic irony is an effect produced by a narrative in which the audience knows more about present or future circumstances than a character in the story.

http://grammar.about.com/od/il/g/ironyterm.htm

I guess you could be using the 2nd meaning there - but really, when you are on an international site like this with so many members it kind of stands to reason that far more of the people you are going have a sexual spark with are going to from outside your accessible area than from inside it - just by virtue of the fact that so many more people on the board are from outside your accessible area. So is it really fair to say the expectation of wanting to hook up with people local to you is a reasonable one? You may argue intention but I think taking everything that doesn't go the way we intended and calling the outcome ironic is just stretching things too far.

I blame Alanis Morissette myself :rolleyes:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's one of the great joys of the internet age.

Now we have the chance to strike out with people we've never even met and who live on another continent, instead of just people down the road.

Yay for technology.

:dot:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Food for thought...
Sometimes we want them to be a couple of hours away for various reasons.
I have had some experience with this and you can make it work if you want it to work, but that's the paradox...If it does not work out they are a couple of hours away.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Tell me about it. Before I met my hoosband every guy I was both intellectually and physically attracted to lived a good plane ride away from me.

Of course, it's entirely possible that because of the distance I was able to project my ideal partner on those people much more easily, and that in fact they weren't so great.