Israel/Palestine: What's your view?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by snottybooger, Sep 1, 2008.

1. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

I myself, as both an Arab (through my father) and Jew (from my mother) have a very strong interest in Palestine and the occupation of the land by Israel.

I am just wondering if anyone has any views, even if its a small line/comment.

2. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hi Cam...

I have many friends who are Arab (both Muslim, Christian, and
    Orthodox Christian). I also have friends that are Jewish, Hindu,
    Sikhs, Buddhists, Baha'i, and others. We celebrate each others
    ethnic and religious heritages and have learned a lot of wonderful
    things about each other. We love to visit restaurants or have
    each over to our homes to try and enjoy the different cuisines.
    And, on occasion, we have accompanied each other to our varioous
    houses of worship. We are a little UN without their problems...:biggrin:

It is not that we do not sometimes have disagreements, but we
    ALL love each other and we get along beautifully
    together.

I am sure that they feel the same as I, since we have discussed it
    many times. that someday soon everyone will forget their differences
    and historical pasts.....and live together in TOTAL PEACE.

I Love all my friends,except them as they are, and know that my life
    would be empty and very sad without them!

3. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

So it seems you believe that people should celebrate similarities and not differences? Removing labels and not being afraid of 'the other'?

Do you think this is the way forward in Palestine and Israel Proper?

When will the hurt, pain, suffering and anguish end? Won't be all kill ourselves before this realization?

4. kingkhan

kingkhan New Member

To me as long as people view the place as truly "holy" there will always be a minority of religious fanatics to spoil peace. Humanity as a whole should be moving away from looking at the world and our place in the universe from a faith perspective. The two solutions to the problem would be a two state solution, the two states being based on ethnic and religious differences, and find a way to divide or share Jerusalem or to have one secular government allowing everyone participation in the government and the freedom of religion. I know the Israeli government is secular and democratic but, it does not give the people in occupied territories a democratic voice and some politicians use a religious world view to determine policies such as allowing the creation of settlements which do nothing to create peace. That is why there should be a move a way from viewing the land as "holy" and viewing it as a piece of land where people live and has it's history just as any other piece of land on earth.

5. snottybooger

snottybooger New Member

But this is truely impossible no? Given the fact the State of Israel was created to give the Jews a homeland? And... afterall, Jews believe Palestine is their land of milk and honey.

6. kingkhan

kingkhan New Member

It does seem impossible but, we can hope.

7. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

I think the best hope for the moment is for the negotiations that have been going on between Abbas and Olmert to set up a Palestinian state in the West Bank succeed. They have been closer to success than most people in North America can believe ... and I hope that Olmert's imminent loss of the prime ministership does not torpedo the discussions.

The Palestinians of the West Bank are really quite secular, much as most of the Jews of Israel are secular. They want peace, economic development, security.

If a Palestinian state is established on the West Bank, then the Palestinians of Gaza, currently under the boot of Hamas, may see the merits of a more realistic approach to Israel, which is not going anywhere. If they don't, they will sink even further into poverty and marginalization.

As for Jerusalem, it's not as vexed a question, some believe, as we've been given to believe. The Arabs and the Israelis are still living in quite discrete sections, although there are some very small points of Jewish development in East Jerusalem. Many observers think that a division of the city is quite achievable.

The problem is that the discussions on setting up a Palestinian state seem to have been based largely on the good rapport that Abbas and Olmert have established with each other. Olmert is due to step down once his governing party, Kadima, elects a new leader in September. Whether another leader can continue on Olmert's course is the great question.

8. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have to believe that somehow, someday, peace will come to pass
    and that all will live together as brothers. Otherwise, distrust and
    hatred will continue to fester and divide us, and eventually, there will
    be no hope for mankind to have a peaceful and prosperous future.

A true and equitable peace must be obtained for ALL.

MAY PEACE AND LOVE REIGN!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted