Israeli aggression: End of the world?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_henry miller, Jan 4, 2009.

1. B_henry miller

B_henry miller New Member

I've been reading for some years that many people believe that Israel, backed by the US, is going to basically bring the world to an end. Israel backed the US invasion of Iraq. And I've heard it said that any time Israel takes any action it is by proxy the US, because the US is such a close allay to Israel. I think even the Pope said the US invasion of Iraq threatened the survival of humanity. Anyway, I just wonder what the international repercussions of Israel's current actions are going to be. Sadly, it won't be good, obviously.

#1 B_henry miller, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  2. sxjTheFirst

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yeah and we care about what the pope thinks because...?

3. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I don't believe any of this armageddon stuff.

But I do think that if Israel does not accomodate those it displaced, does not acknowledge an end to the Zionist dream or Eretz Yisrael, then at some point in the future as the balance of power changes in the world, it will be pay back time.

4. sxjTheFirst

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not armageddon that's more because of the religious significance of the place than anything. But things could get nasty there. Hope the rest of world has the sense to let it be the regional issue that it is.

5. B_henry miller

Because he represents the second largest religion in the world and therefore carries clout. He's a significant figure.

6. B_henry miller

I'm not talking Biblically either. I'm talking politics. There were retaliations for 911 in New York, and I'm concerned there will be retaliation for what's going on now. Simple cause and effect.

7. tiff86

tiff86 New Member

I dunno about repurcussions or any of that I mean hasn't this stuff happened before? Anyway I admit I dont know that much about it but my bf is jewish and he said something interesting the other day he said (we live in california) if people in oregon were shooting rockets at us id want someone to go find the people and get the rockets. So I dunno it all just seems very sad to me :frown1:.

8. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Henry, have you been looking at nude photos of the pope, and criticizing his out of shape body?

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Nostradamus has supposedly prophesized about a 'third war' unlike the world has ever seen, he implies that Israel will be attacked but that it would ultimately win leaving Damascus obliterated.....so i guess keep your eyes peeled for any involvement by Syria

10. B_henry miller

Not sure what this means. Israel is largely armed by the US. If Hamas is attacking Israel, does that justify slaughtering innocent Muslims?

If people from Oregon were attacking California, should all people in Oregon -- even the ones who weren't involved -- be killed by Californians?

The US is just finally climbing out of being the most hated country in the world. Israel is a close allay to the US, and now Israel is doing this, and so I think there will be retaliations.

Oh, and just because someone is Jewish doesn't mean they support what Israel is doing. Many Jewish people condemn the policies of the state of Israel.

11. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Well, after getting bombed for 8 years during a "cease fire" agreement, I'm glad to see Israel stand up for themselves. Hamas will regret their aggression toward Israel.

12. Notaguru2

Gold Member

Um... sure. Hamas has had no problem killing innocent Jews. Israel didn't just wake up 5 days ago and decide to kick some ass. They were provoked for the last 8 years. They'd had enough.

You can't compare Oregon/California with Israel/Palestine. They are beyond statistical comparison.

Israel has the right to defend themselves. Furthermore, they have the right to dismantle terrorists that have been bombing them for the last 8 years. The US would do the same thing if Canada had been dropping bombs on us for 8 years...

It doesn't matter if you're a Jew, Arab, Chinese or Russian. Every country has a right to defend itself. It's that simple.

#12 Notaguru2, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  13. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    Things have been nasty there for over fifty years. I don't think they could get any nastier.

Imagine your neighborhood destroyed and any semblance of infrastructure obliterated.

For decades.

And you have to live in it.

You're not allowed to leave.

14. Elmer Gantry

Gold Member

Albums:
    But if the Californians had have run bulldozers through entire neighbourhoods in Oregon to make way for their own and killed, tortured and displaced millions of Oregonites (?) and ignored numerous calls from the rest of the world (i.e. UN) to ceae and desist such activities do you not think they would have at least a small reason to fight back.

15. Notaguru2

Gold Member

This how civilized the US is... Get this; we have Jews, Muslims, Catholics, Protestants, Atheists, Satanists, Evangelicals, Mexicans, Native Americans, Japanese, Chinese, Russians, gosh... I could go on - all living together in harmony.

Please stop comparing what Americans would do in a similar situation. We left the other side of the pond to get away from precisely what you describe. lol

16. B_henry miller

Well, you obviously support what Israel is doing. I don't know what the rest of your inventions are here.

Most of the world opposes what Israel is doing. And most of the world realized that the US and Israel are close allies. This is going to fuel further anti-Americanism, which is going to cost us.

Most people agree that the Palestines are an occupied people. Most of the world sympathizes with the Palestinians.

17. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Most of the world does nothing about it.

When most of the world sits on its ass and does nothing, most of the world's opinion doesn't mean shit.

If most of the world cared, most of the world could send in its significantly larger military force to get what it wanted. But they're not doing so.

I wonder why?

Could it be because most of the world only cares about spouting its opinion but doesn't want to actually get involved down there? Could it be because if they did they'd end up with World War III rather than Israel/Palestine Skirmish #349208?

How naive are some of you, exactly?

18. Jason

Gold Member

To answer the question in the heading of this thread - no, I don't think this is the end of the world. There will be a settlement. Probably nothing much will have changed. Possibly Israel will have reduced the number of missiles fired on Israel, possibly Israel will have weakened Hamas and we will pave the way for a non-terrorist government in Gaza. Possibly Israel will feel a bit safer.

Round two is presumably Israel and Iran. If we are very lucky a change of leadership in Iran will deflect Iran from its present course. Failing that we are just months away from Iran getting a nuclear weapon and using it on Tel Aviv. That Israel will attack first is pretty much a certainty. Vert dangerous - still not the end of the world.

Round three is the one our media are busy missing. Something very like the Cold War is back. Georgia is still suffering from Russian occupation and the after effects of Russian aggression. Russia has cut off the gas to Ukraine - people there are cold. There are already supply problems further west. Romania has been hit today. Russia has declared that she will place nuclear weapons in Kaliningrad, a stance which threatens the West and implies controlling the railways of Lithuania. Russia is spoiling for a fight. And Russia is providing nuclear material to Iran.

The blow up is Russia nutcases + Islamic nutcases V the sane world.
    And that might just be the end of the world.

19. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Most of the world who sympathize with Palestine and not with Israel like you; clearly do not know the facts or have a clue of the situation or history of this conflict.

20. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Here is a start Henry...or is is just that you don't like the people of Israel because they do not fit your ideal standard?
    What happened to the Jewish refugees from Middle Eastern countries?

In the years following Israel's independence in May 1948, 600,000 to 800,000 Jews from Arab North Africa and the Middle East (approximately as many as the number of Palestinian refugees who left Israel in 1948) arrived in the new state, as a direct result of official and popular anti-Semitic actions against them. Israel received them as returning countrymen, granted them citizenship and helped them begin new and productive lives. There is currently no visible sign of their being "refugees," since they have long since been absorbed into Israeli society. Nevertheless, they still have substantial claims against those countries which forced them to flee, often penniless, and these must be addressed in any comprehensive resolution of the refugee problem.

Throughout Arab lands, 1948 Jewish populations have been decreased to next to nothing. To where did these Jewish refugees vanish? The majority went to Israel, often living in tent camps for up to 12 years, just as the Palestinian refugees. However, they got citizenship in Israel and did not remain permanent refugees.

Jewish refugees from Arab lands have received no compensation for expropriated property, while Arabs who lost property in Israel are eligible to file for compensation from Israel’s Custodian of Absentee Property.

Draft saved Draft deleted