Issue with PA

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Darkriff, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've had my PA for about 5 weeks now. I noticed a few days ago the there was discomfort when the ring would slide out of the urethra. Only when sliding in the one direction, not the other way. I was looking at it to see what the problem may be, and the site around the PA is very dry. I would say to the point of a soft callous. I'm pretty sure the dryness is due to cleaning it with the Liquid Dial Antibacterial hand soap twice a day. Not sure if the Sea Salt Soak caused it either. I was advised by my piercer to not use many different things when it came to cleaning and care, but I can't specifically remember him saying anything about some sort of water based moisturizing lotion to soften the skin. What could I do to correct this problem and combat the dryness? I've already cut back on cleaning with the soap to once and day and cut out the Sea Salt Soak just in case that was the problem. Any advice?

P.S. I'm looking for help with this issue, not to be flamed by anyone that doesn't understand genital piercings or thinks that they're "disgusting" or I'm "stupid" for doing so. Thank you.

2. joeweekend

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    My cockhead skin does get dried out very easily. And I think the salt would also dry out your skin.

Moisturize, dude!

Last thing you want is a callous in your cock.

3. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    rofl, I was thinking the same thing. I guess the concerns with using alcohol and lotions was that it would inhibit the healing, but I guess now that I think about it, if it's already healed, then it wouldn't really hurt it. Ty

4. Kall00

Kall00 New Member

Umm since it's still healing you only want to use sea salt soaks twice per day. Most of those antribacterial soaps are hell on your skin which is probably why you're seeing dryness. Also DO NOT use a moisturizer. The last thing the piercing needs is MORE things irritating it.

You should also be drinking more water so you urinate more frequently. This will help with the dryness and help keep the piercing clean while it is healing.

Edit: Also 5 weeks is not enough time for it to be healed. It may look healed but it probably isn't.

5. airmale

airmale New Member

Albums:
    I have had my PA for 10+ years now. I notice that once in a while the ring needs to be taken out and cleaned really good. Sometimes you get a build up of precum and other assorted juices and it catches and causes it to pull slightly. Kind of uncomfortable and after I reinsert everything is back to normal.

Don't go too crazy with soaps and crap, your urine is nature's best antiseptic.

6. Opalite

Gold Member

As a professional modification artist (bodypiercer), I'd like to start of by saying it's best to get it checked out by your artist. Or maybe post a clear picture of the irritated area - just to rule out the possibility of an allergic reaction.

Also, you're over-cleaning. Dial soap is really WAY to harsh to be used on such tender skin, so do not use it. Sea salt soaks are okay (1/4 of a teaspoon of seasalt on a cup of boiled water, let it cool off a bit and let your piercing soak in it for atleast 3 minutes), but don't forget to RINSE afterwards! The the small crumbs of salt will otherwise irritate the fresh wound seeing they can be quite sharp. Do not do this more than once a day.

Urine is NOT sterile, nor does it clean your piercing. In fact, resedue can cause it to irritate. Peeing is okay, but make sure you dry off.

Also, do not moisturize! Any oils and creams will close of the wound, making it harder to heal.

Appart from overcleaning, the dial soap and the possibility of wrong use of saline soaks, it could very well be that you're skin is more sensitive than usual andnthat you're reacting to the salt. An option would be to use a mild, soapless cleanser specially made for females, like lactacyd.

But still, it's hard to tell if i havent seen it.

7. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I followed the advice of my piercer. 1tsp of Sea Salt Non-Iodized in 6-8oz. warm water once daily. And Liquid Dial Antibacterial Soap twice daily. I have yet to take it out cause I'm terrified that I won't be able to get it back in. The site itsn't red or swollen, just dry and somewhat hard to the touch. What would be your advice on taking it out to clean it?

8. airmale

airmale New Member

Albums:
    well I remember when mine was new, I was a little freaked out about not being able to get it back in. Take a good look at your ring and if you see anything stuck to it try and wipe it off with a clean soft cloth. I wear a 2 GA U shaped with screw-on balls at both ends and I have to take them off now and then and clean around the balls and the ends.

I am assuming you have an 8 or a 10 GA with captive ball. Those are hard to get out due to the ball being so tight on against the ring. Just be patient and don't worry too much. If you have concerns follow Katt's advise and go see your piercer. I really think though that you are over-cleaning with antiseptic. Mine became irritated with the iodine solution. After I stopped using it, the irritation stopped. Now I just have to keep the ring clean and smooth and it is very comfortable. I have a lot of precum and it builds up over time.

9. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Perhaps it's getting caught because of the discharge from the healing. There's a slight yellowish/brownish film/crust on the horseshoe when I wake up in the morning. And I cleaned it last night.

10. Opalite

Gold Member

Well, never mind me, then. Lol, good luck.

11. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thank you all for your help ^^. I'll just do my best to keep it clean with a soft rag until it's healed enough to stop discharging.

12. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Have you ever had a scrape on your arm? After a few days when it starts to scab up a yellowish discharge that becomes hard and crystalizes? That's what I realized it is. I've been using a q-tip with water to gently clean off the piercings and lightly rub away the crusties. It's still sore, anyone have any ideas on what I could do to make it more comfortable if it were to slide? Water based lube every now and then or what?

Also this one is more directed at Katt. At what point can I start bathing again? Everything I was told by my piercer is this:

Liquid Dial Anti-Bacterial soap twice daily.
    1tsp Non-Iodized Sea Salt Soak with 5oz. warm water once daily for 3-5 minutes.
    No using towels to dry off. Use paper towels or toilet paper.
    No bathing or swimming. Only showers.

If you disagree with that information then what should I do? When can I bath again? I was thinking that maybe soaking it in a warm bath would help soften up the tissue but I was told that bathtubs are a no-no unless showering. It's not uncomfortable just normally, only when it slides.

#12 Darkriff, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  13. Opalite

Gold Member

The yellowish-stuff you're refering to are white boodcells trying to form new skin to heal the wound. Any wound will do this, it's perfectly normal. It becomming a crust isn't - it only proves my statements of over-cleaning. Normally the thin, moist skin in which the PA should be placed should be to wet to actually form a crust from these bloodcells but can only be noticed as a white/yellowish glare over the actual wound. By picking at it and whiping it of you're not only risking serious infection, but also making it almost impossible to heal. NEVER twist and turn your jewelry in ANY unhealed piercing, a penis is no exception. Again, you're risking serious infection by the continous exposion to the bacteria on your hands, and irritating the fresh wound by getting crusties in the fistula (piercing-hole).

ANY piercer telling you to wash your genitals with soap is an idiot and knows nothing about aftercare, PH-contents and has no medical knowledge. In other words, imidiately stop with the antibacterial soap. If anything, you could use lactacyd or any other special soapless product for genitalia. Never use it internally though, in other words dont put it inside your urethra.

Use a mild seasaltsoak, a full teaspoon is WAY too much and will seriously dry the tender skin, making it almost impossible to form new cells and heal. Use no more then 1/4 of the same teaspoon on the same amount of water no more then TWICE a day.

Lets tell it like it is: the aftercare you were given by your 'piercer' was simply idiotic and proof of his incompetence. It will make it harder for anyone to heal a PA, even if all other influences were optimal. The combination of you irritating the allready very irritated wound by poking, turning and picking at it only made it worse.

Normally, you should be okay about now to bathe, BUT YOU ARE NOT AT THIS MOMENT. Your piercing is nowhere near healed and possibly infected. Seeing I haven't seen it, it's impossible for anyone to diagnose it's conditions, I suggest you look up a DECENT bodypiercer or bodmod-artist and have them look at it. They can diagnose and tell you in what timespan you'll be okay to bathe. There's no skin or scartissue to aften at this time, and even if so bathing won't help.

If you value your manly-bits, have a PROFESSIONAL look at it, and use propper aftercare. Don't slide the ring, and absolutely don't do so with lube.

You can do with my advice what you believe is best, but I strongly suggest asking a pro and not a large penis website. Good luck, you're welcome.

14. Darkriff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Ok. Yeah from what you've said it's apparent that he doesn't know what he's talking about. He said the PA would be fully healed in 1 week from me urinating. You said a non-soap? How about a non-harsh soap such as baby body wash? Ok, I'll stop trying to remove the crusties, only from the piercings themselves. I'll also continue with the SSS for now with your recommendations. Thank you for your help ^^.

15. Opalite

Gold Member

No, a non-soap like lactacyd (idk if you've got something simulair in the US? Just ask for female intimate-soaps like Vivag or Femagene), anything other won't have the right PH-contents.

The crusties will be come before you know it, If you start cleaning it right. Apart from the initial blood-crust, there shouldn't have been any in the first place. Just try to let it be as much as you can, clean it as I said and you'll be okay. If things don't get better (or even worse) in a week, make sure you'll get it looked at by a pro!

16. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    I have been of the school of benign neglect with all of my piercings. When I first got them...clean with plain water...just plain water. They seemed to heal without any problems. Check out my gallery. Also make sure the ring is not catching the skin at the meatus, or pee-hole. Sometimes my ring catches and......whoa...a bit of a pain.

17. ffams

ffams New Member

You need to listen to Katt - very good info.

I have had mine for 15 years with no problems. Cleaned it with salt water the first few weeks and as little movement as possible ! If you move the ring in and out of the piercing hole then you run the risk of introducing foreign matter exactly into the are you want to heal. Be patient !

18. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

Very sound advice from Katt here, and as myself being pierced with a PA for around 5 years.

Some printable matter here my piercer in Leicester gave me (The use of female genital cleaning products, like Vagisil, is a good idea)....

PRINCE ALBERT

Vagisil Women's Health Center 1

19. lakecreeker

lakecreeker Member

Albums:
    for the dry skin, and just general purpose to keep the skin there and other places, we use what is called Udder Cream. It is similar to bag balm. This is been around for years, Udder Cream you can get at the Wal-mart in the skin care section of HBA. Bag Balm I have seen in the same area at some stores, you can also find it at some of the Urban Farmer type stores (Tractor Supply and the others) . Udder cream has been suggested to some family members that gone thru the bout of cancer treatments that had created issues with dried out skin. A brother in law told me that he and his brothers used some bag balm years ago when they were masturbated in their rooms, he and his sons use the udder cream at times now. Anything to keep the skin smooth and presentable to the partners as he says. think udder cream has website of udderlysmooth.com. The tattoo and piercing shop where he and his wife has recently gotten some piercings and tattoos done at suggested either of the products.

20. pierced4fun

pierced4fun New Member

You might also try increasing your Vitamin E intake...

When I had mine done my guy told me to take 10,000IU of Vitamin E every day (and if your body can't absorb that much you will just pee it out)

Also, I tried something that I am sure Katt will not like to hear :D..... I talked to a Asian Herbalist and he suggested I soak my piercing in a very weak
    Chrysanthemum Tea....

you can get it from most asian markets (be careful of what you might find at a grocery store as they usually have a bunch of preservatives). I also suggested using this treatment to a friend of mine that had a circumcision late in life and he healed beautifully.

Just my 2 cents worth :D

Draft saved Draft deleted