Issues on sex with

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Ah, diabetes. Okay, that's proof that you're half Indian. LOL Seriously, the best advice I have is the Atkins diet; basically, the risk of diabetes is lessened by reducing your carbohydrate (also known as corn starch, corn syrup, sucrose, fructose, lactose, etc.) intake. Eat wild game, and get plenty of exercise.

Ultimately, one reason diabetes can't be cured is because it's not caused by any particular parasite; it's caused by "thrifty genes" which help during famine, but once you can get food at any time but not much exercise . . . The Israeli sand rat's always used as the exemplar of thrifty gene theory. So it's cured by, surprisingly, exercise and proper diet.

BRMSTN69: Jonb, sorry but your wrong there the Atkins diet is one of the worst things a diabetic (or anyone else) can do. A healthy well balanced reduced-fat (lay-off the fried foods) with some carbo and the natural sugars in fruits are necessary to maintain proper balance in blood sugar levels.

BTW my mother is a dietation and a type 2 diabetic and I'm hypogylcemic (guess its that Blackfoot thing)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Actually, the Atkins diet says to reduce carbohydrates. Really, the trick is to also cut out the fat. I call it A'. (That's supposed to be Atkins Prime.) Basically, it's a less-extreme version: A little more veggies, a lot more exercise. Also a preference for wild game over farm-grown game.

Avoid Britney Spears' Malibu diet, of course. LOL

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One of my brothers is diabetic, and his dietician told him to avoid the Atkins diet. His meal plan is this:
Breakfast: 5 carbs, 1 protein, 1 fat
Lunch: 5 carbs, 2 protein, 1-2 vegetables, 1 fat
Dinner: 5 carbs, 2 protein, 2 vegetables, 2 fat
Night-time snack: 2 carbs, 1 protein, 1 fat

He eats more carbs now than he did before he was diagnosed: 17 servings a day. The dietician said that recent research has shown that type 2 diabetics that fit a certain profile actually benefit from more carbs. What characteristics define that profile, I couldn't say. The dietician also told him to limit his vegetable intake because, though low in carbohydrates, in large amounts they can affect the blood glucose level.

BobLeeSwagger

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper@Jul 17 2004, 06:10 AM

He eats more carbs now than he did before he was diagnosed: 17 servings a day. The dietician said that recent research has shown that type 2 diabetics that fit a certain profile actually benefit from more carbs. What characteristics define that profile, I couldn't say. The dietician also told him to limit his vegetable intake because, though low in carbohydrates, in large amounts they can affect the blood glucose level.
For about the last 20 years, nutritionists have been refining an idea called the glycemic index, which measures how fast foods are metabolized by the body. Some carbs, especially simple sugars, are especially bad for diabetics. But others work well for them. Some foods, even low-carb ones, rush glucose into the bloodstream faster, making them dangerous for some diabetics. It varies drastically and it's not always intuitive.

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Basically the rule seems to be to minimize single chemical bonds like C-H, and C-OH. Fat and sugar are bad for this. (One of the mistakes Atkins made was completely ignoring the element of fat, which is why I suggest wild game over farm animals.)

Basically, it's a simple matter: Did people in the 19th century eat nothing but pizza and Doritos? No, and they didn't have diabetes either. LOL