It Gets Better - A Message for Young People

D

deleted3782

Fort Worth, Texas, City Councilman Joel Burns gives a powerful message to young people, both gay and different. Watch it here.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Again, I ask, where does this viciousness come from in these kids?

I went to high school in the Midwest and saw very little of this type of behavior.

Exwhyzee, thanks for sharing this with the community.

Last edited:

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Petite had a thread a few days back about this project.
http://www.lpsg.org/204032-dan-savages-it-gets-better.html

I am glad it is still going strong. A community in my state just had a public meeting about this-- four suicides this month! They resolved to do something to save the young people, somehow, from feelings of isolation. The town is Stoughton, Wisconsin.

SeeDickRun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I hate to say this, but the bullies do it because they can get away with it.
It's as simple as that. Hatred comes from within, it's learned, and it's taught. Hatred is just beneath the skin in a lot of the world, and if it itches, finds focus, it just erupts.
Really sad. I don't think some things will ever change.
I might be wrong. Hope so.

joyboytoy79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Again, I ask, where does this viciousness come from in these kids?

I went to high school in the Midwest and saw very little of this type of behavior.

Exwhyzee, thanks for sharing this with the community.

When/where did you go to high school in the Midwest? When I was in high school in rural Wisconsin in the mid/late 90s there was a lot of gay-bashing going on. It was "gay" when a teacher assigned homework due the day after a football game. The rival school was affectionately called the "fagots." And then there was the day one of my classmates stopped me (at a football game) to ask me "Hey faggot, are you the kind of queer that likes a hard fat cock up your ass?" (I'm pretty sure this was NOT a come-on). Not to mention the death-threats and damaged property.

Anyway, I'm glad Joel Burns made this statement. It took courage, and is an example for all of us.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Petite had a thread a few days back about this project.
http://www.lpsg.org/204032-dan-savages-it-gets-better.html

I am glad it is still going strong. A community in my state just had a public meeting about this-- four suicides this month! They resolved to do something to save the young people, somehow, from feelings of isolation. The town is Stoughton, Wisconsin.

it's not to see savage doing something decent for a change instead of lambasting his readers when they ask a question his holiness deems dumb

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my friends son was telling me, he believes he is living one of those "turning points in history", what with the "It Gets Better" to marriage equality, the over turning of DADT one day. etc. .......... for a 15 year old he's one smart cookie and makes me feel sooooooooooo old , I could cry

D

deleted3782

my friends son was telling me, he believes he is living one of those "turning points in history", what with the "It Gets Better" to marriage equality, the over turning of DADT one day. etc. .......... for a 15 year old he's one smart cookie and makes me feel sooooooooooo old , I could cry

Its great to hear a young person say that. Very good.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This made me tear up. I don't like to watch stuff like this. I guess I haven't been exposed to it enough.

One of my bestfriends in highschool (aka fellow band geek) was out and he had a boyfriend that went to our school (another fellow band geek.) I know there was aleast one set of girls experimenting. I never saw or heard anyone make any remarks to my friends.

I think it's horrible that some parents teach hate to their kids and that the schools allow kids to be treated like this. I guess some things cannot always be seen on the surface, but that still doesn't make it right.