It took them HOW long to do this!?!

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Or, it might be better if Disney were to stop encouraging the fantasy that little girls can be Princesses if only they find the right boy, altogether. There are lots of other plot lines for making fantasy movies and Disney has done it many times. The whole Princess wins Prince and they live happily ever after scenario is one of the less appealing movie lines.

Luckily, my kid own preferred Dumbo and his "pink elfawents" to Cinderella. So I had no worries there. :)

True that!

I actually don't mind the fairy tale movies so much, but I do think there needed to be other plot lines besides just the "meet her Prince and live happily ever after" kind of thing. What I do have a problem with is all the marketing to girls about the whole "princess" thing. That never appealed to me anyway, but then I was a tomboy as a kid so it wouldn't. :biggrin1:

I LOVE Dumbo! Now, it actually has a scene in it that would be considered racist by today's standards, but a lot of movies of that time did things like that, including another one of my favorite (definitely NOT Disney) movies, "She Done Him Wrong". It doesn't mean it's a bad movie, it's more that certain scenes are questionable because of racism. I haven't seen "Song of the South" since I was a kid, so I really can't remember that much of it.

The African Princess (not just "she found her Prince", but she's a leader herself) idea sounds great! I'd love to see a movie like that.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Coming out tomorrow; I figured there's be a thread about this flick. :biggrin1:

It would be romantic and fun and exotic and just all around African in a way we haven't seen since Lion King. And nobody in the US even knows about these places and kingdoms and people!! God it would be amazing!

Wouldn't it be just as stereotypical to set the movie in Africa? And, on top of that, to try to condense half of the continent into just one film? I can imagine the complaints going, "Sure, they have a Black princess now, but why does she have to live in a hut on the Veldt?" Just sayin'...

What I've been hearing is that it's a Disney musical in the vein of Snow White, Cinderella, etc. What New Orleans (or, properly, "N'awlins") has is a rich, yet distinct, musical tradition. That material gives Disney a chance to step away from the banal -- I'd say modular -- compositions in past movies and, for once, play some funk and soul on the big screen.

I'm right with everyone on the racial stereotypes thing. I agree, why can't the prince be black, too? I also can't understand why the prince's relapse (if that's what it is; the shot in the trailer is a half-second long) gives him a big bubble butt.

However, bouncing butts weren't invented for this movie. The characters don't look to be any more radical than any others, likely not even as stereotypical as the crows in Dumbo.

But... is it pandering? As in, was the only purpose for the movie to finally have a black Disney princess? Or did they feel that, maybe, they could do it without totally pissing everyone off? Is it relying on stereotypes, or is it celebrating black culture?