Italians! Get in here!

SouthernGirl

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im watching this show called "jersey shore" & am shocked at....well, not sure of what im shocked at. I know nothing about Italians-amerians... other than the men are hot and the women are bossy. But from what im reading about online a lot of italians don't like the stereotypes displayed How do my italian lpsg'ers feel about this show?

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've heard the men are eye candy. But from what I hear the stereotypes you mention are all over the show.

I'm not Italian-American but many of my friends are. I'm English-American.

It's 50/50 Southerngirl. Fifty percent of my friends thought The Sopranos was something to be proud of as a depiction. The other fifty percent were up in arms.

I'm in the latter camp.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Birmingham, AL used to have quite a large Italian population, from what I've heard. Not sure where you're looking, but we are out there.

As to Jersey Shore, it's wrong on a lot of counts. Basically, it's trash, the people on it are trash, and MTV should be shut down for airing shows like that. Any network that shows reality TV that shows domestic violence should be heavly fined or shut down completely.

I don't know that the stereotypes are of Italians in general, or more about a specific type of Italian-American from the northeast.

nicenycdick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am Italian-American. From Brooklyn. I think the show is a disgrace. I think people who admire the mafia (i.e., the Sopranos) have no idea how bad those people are. I know. As is usual in ghetto populations, it was the Italians who suffered most from the power the Mafia held in their communities. The "honor" that everyone seems to praise was really just a means to control members of the "family"...rules are important even in an illegal organization. What started out in Sicily to be a way to oppose foreign aggression became a justification for the selfish accumulation of money and power. And it is just that attitude that is copied by the "guidos" of Brooklyn, South Jersey and other Italian ghettos. I know these guys. Their view of the world is very small, rigid and self-concerned. There is nothing to admire.

That being said, SouthernGirl, there is so much more that is worth admiring in the Italian and Italian-American cultures...the food, the generosity, the creativity...and there is nothing better than an older Italian-American guy in bed. And I don't only say this only because I am one...

Last edited:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm from NJ and I'm not Italian, but I love the show.

Only one person on the show is from NJ, Sammi. The others are from NY and one guy is from R.I.

It's about Guidos, not all Italians are Guidos.

One guy is a poonhound
One guy seems nice and his Sicilian mother comes over to cook and clean all day on one show.
One guy is a jerkoff, with a fright wig blowout like the Gotti boys.
One guy is a nice guy who is dating a girl on the show.
One girl is a bitch
One girl is obnoxious and 4'9" tall.
One girl seems nice, but seems like a pain in the ass with a relationship with the other guy.

They do get into a lot of fights.
Only stupid people will think that all people in NJ and all Italians act like this.

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
SouthernGirl,

I have no CLUE what show you are talking about..

But, If you go on VACATIONS..
Make your NEXT trip ROME or somewhere in Italy..
Just STAY away from Naples..unless you just wanta see that part.
But, I lived in Italy for two years and it is TRUE the MEN are HOT!! They like to FLIRT..
But, I NEVER has ANY trouble with the WOMEN, I would have beat their asses if I had :wink:
I was CLOSE to hitting one of those damn GYPSY'S they have over there!!
But, if you want a USA born Italian.. You will NOT get the FULL Italian culture.

Last edited:

Sergeant_Torpedo

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The people in the show may be trash, be amoral, blinded to reality by their social ineptitude, but they are people. Anyone who is proud of gangster culture is sad. But the real bandits here are media producers who are articulate parasites; remember public hangings were popular.

chachtastic

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i actually went to hs with one of the cast members of the show..his whole act on the show is fake, accent included. Being an Italian, the show offended me to the pt I actually emailed an org. that was against it.