Italy: Berlusconi vows to leave "this shitty country"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Calboner, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have posted this in "Politics" (rather than "Et Cetera") only because it concerns a political figure. I don't expect the topic to attract much political discussion.

A striking headline appeared in the on-line Guardian:

I can't imagine that appearing in a major newspaper in the US.
    An Italian publication gives the specific words:
    My translation (which may contain errors, but the odd grammatical structures reflect those of the original): "I am absolutely calm. . . . They tell me what aim, it's the only thing they can say of me. . . . Is that clear? While I . . . They set spies on me wherever they want. . . . They monitor my phone calls. . . . I don't give a fuck. . . . I . . . . In a few months I'm leaving for my c--- . . . On the other hand and so I'm leaving this shitty country, which I'm sick of. . . . Period, end of story!"

Well, he certainly got one thing right: they were listening to his phone calls!

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Keating's rear view of the lucky country causes storm: Careless remarks have damaged the PM's nationalist stance, writes Robert Milliken in Sydney - World, News - The Independent

I remember the Aussie PM calling his country the arse end of the world.

I wnder what ever did happen to his career.

Did you hear the Ratners story? It was a low cost jewellry store in the UK. The boss once made a speech in which he siad, "people always ask how come we can sell stuff so cheap. Easy, I say, because it's crap." I think they closed within a month or two.

3. Jason

Gold Member

Berlusconi showed a few weeks back that it is possible to talk down an economy. seems he's having another go. Silly comment, and dangerous. Watch Italian bond yields soar.

4. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

I always use Berlusconi as an example to my pollyanna friends who say there is no way a sociopath can be elected President of the US.

5. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    So he did not have the same sort of luck as Reggie Perrin.

6. monel

Gold Member

Wow! This would be akin to a Governor of some US State who espoused the idea of cessation, maybe even suggesting that he supported it, deciding to run for President of that Country. That wouldn't happen....would it?

7. Jason

Gold Member

There has been weak demand for the latest batch of Italian 10 year bonds. Usually this would mean that the yield would soar - but the ECB stepped in and bought them. This is a de facto bailout of Italy, though no-one in the EuroZone wants to call it a bailout. Probably it would have happened even without Berlusconi's comments, but perhaps not to the same extent, or perhaps next week or next month and not now.

Italy has as its PM a man who acts as the enemy of Italy.

8. umami_tsunami

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    He's a sexist piece of shit. They should show him to the fucking door.

9. B_Marius567

B_Marius567 New Member

Berlusconi owns all the all the tv stations and will put blogers in jail.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    What's a "bloger", and what the fuck do they have to do with TV?

11. bobbyboyle

bobbyboyle New Member

What the fudge has that got to do with this???

Berlusconi has ensured that Italy remains a corrupt, institutionally predjudiced society because that suits him fine. What a great country. The first sign of any kind of accountability and he thinks it's gone down the pan.

Even for a +70 year old his expressed views are that of an outdated dinosaur. Italy is a complicated mess of political-criminal dealings and disposing of those in power now will do little towards improving things, but it would at least be a start. A horrible man.

12. xavilqar

xavilqar New Member

I hope He'll leave soon, but as usual he won't (this is just the last of his incredible claims...) and we are a lazy and silly people who won't do anything to change things. tuesday I'll go to manifest against him and his criminal politics but noone will care about it...we've no political opposition in Italy. I hope people especially young people start to wake up against this horrible man.

13. monel

Gold Member

Of course what you say is true. However the OP was specifically and pointedly directed at his derisive attitude towards the country he leads. I find that it parallels the derogatory comments made by the current Texas Governor about the nation he now seeks to lead. I am surprised that you cannot see how the "fudge" they relate. However I am sure that you don't see that your post has less to do with the original post than does mine. It never ceases to amaze me how obtuse one pole of the American political spectrum can be.

#13 monel, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  14. Jason

Gold Member

Italy needs a political class that finds a way forward for the country. Many Italians identify with their city not with their nation. There were even some who at the 150th anniversary of Italian union (earlier this year) publicly regretted that it had happened. The economic problems now faced by Italy are soon going to exacerbate regional tensions - and if markets feel that Italy is not working to solve the problems there will be a worsening of the debt position as yields go up. And a PM like Berlusconi hardly helps.

15. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Like that hasnt happened before, there or elsewhere?

16. dreamer20

Gold Member

17. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Perhaps he thinks it may get better now so he doesnt have to leave, or was he considering an extended holiday to somewhere without extradition?

18. B_chinagirl4u2

B_chinagirl4u2 New Member

Maybe the Germans will let him run the EZ recovery plan...Just a thought... A nice little consulting job for him, backed by Sachs I guess.

19. cruztbone

Gold Member

arrividerci, PERV !!!

Draft saved Draft deleted