It's a Ruddslide!

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Just watching the election results on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation website. (That's where the headline comes from, BTW)

Bush-buddy John Howard was tossed out in a landslide. Labor leader Phillip Rudd will be the next Prime Minister.

Further, there is a possibility that Howard may even have lost his own parliamentary seat, Bennelong, on Sydney's posh Lower North Shore. The moneyed classes, it seems, have shifted their allegiance to the progressives.

I heard Howard deliver his concession speech. He kept his dignity on stage with his family, and sounded almost human and likeable. (Until one remembers how he shafted wage earners, tried to smear Justice Michael Kirby, lied about immigrants, and pushed once-free university education out of the grasp of working kids.)

More important, his concession speech was followed by an interview with Julia Gillard, the new Deputy Prime Minister. She appeared to say that one of the first acts of the new government would be to ratify the Kyoto treaty (though at this stage, it would be largely symbolic). Does anyone know if this is, in fact, Labor policy.

It will be a brighter Christmas in Oz.

smudgey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
"Labour leader Phillip Rudd" ahaha I think you've mixed Phillip Ruddock and Kevin Rudd (actual labour leader) but yeah good on him for winning :)

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
"Labour leader Phillip Rudd" ahaha I think you've mixed Phillip Ruddock and Kevin Rudd (actual labour leader) but yeah good on him for winning :)
You are absolutely right. Kev, Trev, Phil and Peter...there are so many of these grey names in Oz politics.

By the way...does anyone know if Tony Abbott was turfed out, too? That would make my day.

Elmer Gantry

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That was a massive swing against him in his own seat, a 10% swing to the ALP on a two party preferred.

Yes, it has been a major policy of the ALP to ratify Kyoto.

And to pull Australian troops out of Iraq.

And to place tighter restrictions on uranium sales.