It's About That Time: Skiing and Snowboarding!!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Fiona_Farvel, Nov 22, 2011.

1. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Who else is looking forward to the 2011-12 ski/snowboard season?

How long have you been riding? and How long did it take before you were no longer abusing the snow with your butt? :biggrin1:

I ask because over the summer I made a vow to learn how to snowboard this winter, and will be dragging everyone I can to the Poconos (cabin w/ hot tub *need I say more*), Sugar Bowl, or Mountain High/Big Bear to watch me fall on my ass over and over again until I *at minimum* own the bunny slope. :fingersx: But would actually love to be somewhat proficient by March-ish.

Still looking at boards, but the guy at my local REI suggested a few for tall ladies that will be on sale next week - so I'm pulling it together and trying to calm my major stokedness until I can hit the slopes.

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Have fun... I used to go up to Big Bear often when I lived in LA. I've been skiing since I was five. I used to teach skiing and the best advice I can give you is to become proficient at each level before moving on to a more advanced run. It's better to be an excellent novice on an easier run than a horrible skier on an advanced mountain (you are also less likely to injure yourself or others)

I'm a big believer in ski school... The best schools offer a class in the morning and give you a chance to practice what you learned after lunch. I'm an advanced skier yet I still take an instructor or guide with me on an unfamiliar mountain the first time. If you ski regularly during the season there is no reason that you should not be an intermediate skier by the end of March and able to move on to more advanced runs the year after that.

Just remember to always ski safe and that drinking and skiing don't mix. And remember looking good off and on the slopes is very important to your overall image....

Attached Files:

#2 nudeyorker, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  3. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    Aw that sounds like so much fun! I'd love to go this year! Like Nudeyorker, I've been skiing since I was a kid. TheBoyfriend did a half day snowboarding class a few years ago and he enjoyed it. It's hard for me to give up on the winter sport I'm good at in order to learn one where I'd be falling down all the time, but I'll probably try it myself someday.

I bet hitting the slopes with you would be SO MUCH FUN!

4. D_Fiona_Farvel

Ay, intermediate seem like an impossible goal! I was on the fence over lessons, but being a clutzy chick, you're right, beginning with an instructor would be the best foundation - thank you! Big Bear is lovely! But after asking around, I hear Mt. High is better for snowboarding and beginners. Same for the Poconos, most recommended Killington over local NYC spots like the Poconos. *confused*

As far attire, I have a thing about orange and pink, so I plan to look very... uh, colorful. :09: I'm holding out on comments for your pic hoping you'll attach one with a Susie Chapstick/Alberto Tomba onesie outfit, hehe. But, as always, you look cute and relaxed NY.

5. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

I used to ski Crested Butte every winter. I greatly miss it. Damned crackhead ran into the back of my vehicle, and ended my skiing days.

6. D_Fiona_Farvel

I'm from a tropical people (Southern and West Indian) who do not actually even like cold weather much less snow, so I feel at a disadvantage with the whole need for my two feet to feel the ground at all times. :08:

Definitely going with lessons, particularly because the board I've been recommended is an intermediate. But, what do you wear on the slopes? Full jumper or something less formal like ski pants and jacket? Any padding, like a helmet?

I agree, would be very fun! Looks like not many winter sport people on LPSG, which is too bad because I would def. meet up for a snow day. :dance: :dance:

#6 D_Fiona_Farvel, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Once you become more proficient you will find you start planning your vacations around ski slopes. Here are some of my favorite....

Hunter Mountain NY (not great skiing but it's an easy day trip from NYC)
    Killington VT
    Vail CO
    Snowmass CO
    Winter Park CO (In a pinch)
    Sun Valley ID
    Bear Mountain CA
    Mammoth Mountain CA

St. Christophe Austria
    ZÜRS Austria
    Gstaad Switzerland
    Como Italy
    Cortina Italy
    Queenstown New Zealand
    El Colorado Chile

But my absolute favorite is
    Hôtel Mont Blanc in Megève, France

You will know you are hooked when you own more ski equipment and clothing than fits comfortably in your house and closets.

#7 nudeyorker, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  8. Pandora77

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Nudie, you look good in EVERY outfit you wear. I mean if even Miss Wintour herself compliments you..... :biggrin1:
    I wish I would have learned how to ski when I was a kid. But my mom has problems with her hip and couldn't take me, and my dad has had a very serious skiing accident 2 years before I was born (I guess him being home for over a year afterwards has to do with me even being born), so he wasn't allowed to ski anymore himself. What a shame though, since my dad used to be a semi- professional skier in his Twenties. Even worse that we spent every winter holiday in Austria (my dad's Austrian), surrounded by some of the best ski resorts in Europe.
    Oh well, maybe I'll just go ahead, book a trip and a ski class one of these days.
    Nudie, as an "expert" would you still recommend skiing for someone with a bad knee?

9. curious_angel

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm definitely looking forward to the ski season.

FLAG do you ski already or will this be your first time on the slopes?

In my experience boarding means copious amounts of time spent on one's bum; falling onto your bum; pushing yourself back up to standing. The base of your spine and butt cheeks will be getting a major work out! Wrist fractures are the most common injury. A bruised arse and neck whiplash injuries, close runners up.

Body-padding / armour is essential!

I was already a half decent skier when I tried boarding. It was too bloody painful and I don't miss it even though I sometimes envy my boarding friends' 'poetic arcs' on virgin piste. I'm sticking to skis.

Come to Europe for the best skiing (and French ski instructors).:tongue: [Plus the friskiest, sexiest sauna clientelle I've ever encountered in a 4* Alpine retreat....but that's a whole different thread.]

10. D_Fiona_Farvel

Wow, the Mont Blanc resort is beautiful!
    Perfect setting for a dream romantic vacation - would I actually touch snow? Not likely. :tongue:

11. D_Fiona_Farvel

Good question! I'm curious as well, NY.

I do not ski, at all. The most I do is pounce on the snow, make a show angel, and maybe, maybe throw a snowball. Which means I will have to make sure the first day is one with soft powder snow - my butt will thank me later. :09:

Thank you, this is really good information! I had not considered wrist, arm, or elbow protection, but that's the first reaction when bracing for a fall. I will look into helmet and wrist/elbow strapping of some king.

No, no, Ms. Angel, I am entirely prepared to take this thread in a new direction. :yup: :biggrin1:

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

As an expert skier who has had knee replacement surgery that is a question you should talk to your doctor or surgeon about. The one thing I have learned with my new knee is not to push it to it's limits. With my old banged up knee I learned to compensate for it's short comings.

13. curious_angel

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Good idea! Lessons will speed your progress and lessen your injuries, as will skiing/boarding with a group of more experienced people. It's all technique and confidence.:smile:

I do my best skiing after lunch. [For lunch, read: food + wine] A drink helps me to loosen up and for the best on-piste technique one needs to relax!

Nudey has such good taste. Megève is great and this is a super hotel (not to mention my previously mentioned sauna is not far away:wink:.)

Do go for the wrist protection as a minimum. Another tip is to go for the best ski wear you can afford. I'd say it's much more important than buying a board. Boards can be rented until you reach a decent standard and you're sure you like the sport. Getting cold and wet while on the slopes is miserable so buy technical gear that breathes and insulates.

Good luck!

14. ServiceableMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've already been out a few days this season. The snow is not great but the feel of the snow under foot is so great. Its been fun learning how the new boots ski.

For those of you starting, take a lesson or two. The first couple days will be the hardest until you learn the form and learn to relax. Pay attention to the drills, they can be done without the instructor.

For boarders wrist guards are a great idea - it seems the most common boarder injury (other than bruises) is the broken wrist. So are helmets. I busted a binding in a bowl at Breckenridge. Even though the snow was soft, I cracked the helmet and saw stars.

15. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I feel bad for you, hootie. At least you survived though! That's something.

I haven't skiied in years and would like to try it again, maybe this winter (although that was what I said last winter). Crested Butte is not too far from me, and the town is great, but from what I can tell the resort has ticked off a lot of the locals. And it is just so expensive to go only once or twice, rent skis and boots, spend the time to either learn or re-learn, etc. Besides, at least in this part of the Rockies, there hasn't been hardly any snow yet - most of what has hit Colorado has landed on the front range and points east. So I'm kind of wavering on it, personally.

After reading this thread I was wondering whether any of the previous posters had gone, and if you had a good time? Is the snow better anywhere else yet?

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm headed back to Honolulu next week... Alas there has not been enough snow in NY state yet but I have new boots waiting for me when I get back.

17. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    This thread makes me wish I lived closer to mountains and snow. I am anxiously awaiting hot weather again for wakeboarding and water skiing.

Y'all have fun on the slopes!!

18. ServiceableMale

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The Taos area, Canadian Rockies, and some of Europe are being hit. CO and UT are pretty sad this year. I may have to take the new to me rock skis out to Winter Park and find out how hard it is to avoid core shots on the open black runs :).

19. D_Fiona_Farvel

Unfortunately, no. This month in NYC was mild and rainy. Which was enjoyable in the walk around the neighb kind of way, but not even a hint of snow. Last year there was a blizzard at this time - I have vid of the snow drifts outside my apt to prove it! :biggrin1:

I am now in California and there's all this damn 80 degree weather chasing away the cold and rain.

Snow fun will be had, though. But it definitely seems like a mild winter. Does anyone know if this an El Niño year?

Yikes! Ok, I'm definitely splashing out on an ultra plush, looks like a pillow strapped to my head, padded ski helmet.

I have a Breckenridge tee. Or, should say I stole the ex-bf's and totally *heart* it. You're obviously extremely experienced, as I understand most, if not all, of Breckenridge is for expert skiers. Would love to see pics of the snow in the Colorado area, if you would like to share?

20. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    FLAG, I thought I heard it was actually a La Nina (sorry, don't know how to add the tilde) year, and at least around Colorado the weather folks are saying we will make up for the lack of snow in the next few months. May have to believe that when I see it, because it's been pretty pitiful in my neck of the woods, snow-wise. Hope you get to go hit the slopes!

Draft saved Draft deleted