It's your funeral...

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I saw it on a website or TV or something and remembered it. Takes more than a strand though. They're happy to take about a cup of you if you're already ashes.

Now imagine it mounted in a nice platinum Prince Albert or Prince's Wand...

Hmm. Dunno if I could talk the Rouxster into getting a Prince Albert just for that but it's worth a try. I noticed only a few colours are offered. Wonder if that's for the sake of simplicity?

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
How would you like your send off to go?
I liked the idea of horse drawn hearse. Two all black stallions with pink accenting. (ribbons, flowers and such) I want it to happen on my farm (this is suggesting I have one at that time).

What music would you have?
Some selected songs by Marilyn Manson and various other songs in my play list.

If you could have anyone, who would you like as your eulogist? Someone you know? Someone famous? Someone here? :eek:
Seeing as I don't believe in this religion thing, I don't want any of those last rights or anything, no amazing grace, no open casket stuff, no priests and no asking god for forgiveness of my sins.

Pete Wentz... mmm

Any poems? Quotations?

When I look into these eyes
I find things no one else ever catches a glimpse at
I see this fear of judgment
that makes her cower at confrontation
I see this hopelessness for the future
that make her choices her burden alone
I see this desperate need for companionship to make her strong
in the savage world of humans
I see this courage
caged in her thoughts of inferiority
I see these thoughts of abandonment
that make her cling to anything
I see this devotion to her beliefs
that makes her fear death
And I hate that the person I always see is me.
Don't grieve for me I am free.

Anything special / bizarre? (I dunno fire-eaters, kangaroos on stilts, drum and pipe band, whatever.)
I want excerpts from my diary read. Just so people see a glimpse of my real life, unlike anyone knows it. I want my gay friend there... I want him to be aware of what I suffered through.

What do you want done with your remains? Burial / cremation / other (à la Hunter S Thompson rocket setup :biggrin:), are you even bothered?
Not a chance in hell am I to be filled with formaldehyde. Cremate me and spread my ashes where my horses roam.

D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

Experimental Member
Media
My way would be to go out on my own terms when I've found this life has nothing left to offer. I'd go the to beach for a beatiful sunset fire one up, go for a swim and not come back. Let me feed the fish. But if something should prevent me from that (like getting hit by a bus) I guess I would be cremated and tossed on a desert island.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
My funeral would have to be something nice, postive, and ultimately happy. Nothing but my favorite songs, people talking about me which would include the good and the bad and the stupid, because i do alot of asinine things sometimes. (i think that i was born without common sense. lol)

my teacher said something about having a choir sing "you're the best thing that ever happened to me" or a song similar to that title played to his wife at his funeral which i thought was heavily sweet, so i'd like something in the vein of that to be played to whoever i end up with.

and i really don't want anybody to come to my grave as i'm lowered down. that is too sad of an event, and i wouldn't want that to be the last memory of me to my loved ones...

hmm...what else? oh, all i know is that i want it to be beautiful. i don't know how to achieve that as yet, but i want it to happen.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
dust to dust, ashes to ashes ... no pomp, no circumstance, no drinks, no gnashing of teeth ... run me through the chipper/shredder and toss the reamins in the compost heap

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
... run me through the chipper/shredder and toss the reamins in the compost heap

I love your attitude, although I do believe in the value of rites for the dead.

I used to want to be cremated, but a few years ago I decided I liked the idea of being "recycled" a bit better, hence I appreciate your reference to the compost heap. I rather like the idea of "sky burial" where your body is left for vultures and other scavengers to pick clean. I think some Native American tribes used to do that, and I think Tibetan monks still practice it. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain it's not a legal option in the U.S.

Several years ago I went of a date with a mortician. When I told him I wanted sky burial he said, "You want to be bird food? Ewww..." I wasn't offended, but I thought it was odd that a guy who spent most of his day embalming dead bodies would be so closed-minded about other forms of burial.

I do NOT want to be embalmed. It's so unnatural. Just thought I'd say.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I want people to come in fancy dress, cry a lot then get thoroughly drunk and sit around talking about me for hours :) Then I want them to go and live their lives and live them to the full, we don't know when we're going to die but it could be today so don't waste life. I want some big gothic type edifice as my burial place and I'd like the queen to do my eulogy.

Edit - It'd be my favourite poem which also happens to be quite apt for a funeral - The Relic by Donne.

It's modest funerals like these I find the most moving. :biggrin1:

Actually you people do stuff like this better than anyone else. Song For Athene for Diana's funeral was just brilliant. Wholly stunning work that funeral.

I want people to come in fancy dress, cry a lot then get thoroughly drunk and sit around talking about me for hours :) Then I want them to go and live their lives and live them to the full, we don't know when we're going to die but it could be today so don't waste life. I want some big gothic type edifice as my burial place and I'd like the queen to do my eulogy.

MidwestGal

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
OK, so this is clearly inspired by SP's Funeral Threads thread but a few people have posted about their own funeral ideas...

How would you like your send off to go?

What music would you have?

If you could have anyone, who would you like as your eulogist? Someone you know? Someone famous? Someone here? :eek:

Any poems? Quotations?

Anything special / bizarre? (I dunno fire-eaters, kangaroos on stilts, drum and pipe band, whatever.)

What do you want done with your remains? Burial / cremation / other (à la Hunter S Thompson rocket setup :biggrin:), are you even bothered?

Well honestly, I detest funerals and the viewing of the body. I seriously can picture people years later in their coffins when I think about them. Freaks me out!

As for me, I want it simple no visitiation, no viewing with the exception of immediate family if they need that, just a grave side service with family and friends saying a word or two. I would prefer no church, no minister, or no chaplin for that matter.

Pine or wood coffin, simple graveside service, then family and friends go spend time together and have a good time! Clothingwise, I would prefer one of my prairie costumes. It's simple cloth that will break down easily. If I don't have to be embalmed even better. I don't need to be kept!

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for mentioning viewing Thatgal, that's something I'm in two minds about. Years ago my father's sister died of cancer, he wanted to see her body to say a last goodbye but he deeply regretted it, she'd suffered various kinds of cancer and invasive treatments for some years and when she died as well as obvious pain for her loss he also felt some relief that finally she was at rest, however, when he saw her body he said she looked terrified and it haunted him for years. When my dad died I'd never seen a dead body but I wanted to see him and say a last few things to him, but what he'd said about my aunt came back to me, I sought the advice of the undertaker (and some undertakers are fabulous, they're undervalued, at a time when you have no idea what you're doing they're brilliant) and he said my dad looked lovely, I went in and he looked exactly as if he was sleeping.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I want to go like Lou Grant....Just stand me in the back corner of an alley with my hat on.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In my case I don't care about that . We die and that's it. We aren't going to see our funerals after ours deaths. So why bother about this?

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
In my case I don't care about that . We die and that's it. We aren't going to see our funerals after ours deaths. So why bother about this?

Funerals are for the living, not for the dead. It's a way for people to express their emotions. Having been in the funeral business for a while, it's really interesting to see the responses of those families who have just cremated a body without having time to see the person vs. those families who had a funeral or had time to be with the body once it was cleaned up. I had several families say to me afterward that they wished they had a viewing or been able to spend time with the person before being cremated. People often have guilt or unexpressed grief for doing a funeral that way.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Funerals are for the living, not for the dead. It's a way for people to express their emotions. Having been in the funeral business for a while, it's really interesting to see the responses of those families who have just cremated a body without having time to see the person vs. those families who had a funeral or had time to be with the body once it was cleaned up. I had several families say to me afterward that they wished they had a viewing or been able to spend time with the person before being cremated. People often have guilt or unexpressed grief for doing a funeral that way.
I get your point, death is a reality is that is very harsh to all of us. In my case I don't thought much about it but I prefer being cremated. When my mother die seeing her livingless corpse was very shocking and hard.
I don't really care about the rituals after my death and how the funeral will be , I leave that to my family members . After all like you said funerals are really for the family members and friends of the death person.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A friend was carried in to the Crematorium to Bat Out Of Hell and the service ended with Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life. Sounds all right to me.
I'd like to have a living wake if I could, ie before I'm gone so that I could say goodbye to all my friends and family, have a good party and die happy. It's a shame it's not the sort of thing you can really plan for, death normally being a bit unpredictable. I'd also like them to make sure I'm definitely dead before doing anything like burying me. The thought of being embalmed makes my skin crawl, so don't ever let anyone do that to me. As for the music at the funeral, something cheerful, and a piper by the graveside or wherever I'm being scattered. I haven't decided which I'd prefer yet, burial or cremation, but chances are I won't be too bothered either way when the time comes. Whatever happens, I'd rather not have anyone waste money on a flash coffin or casket for me. Save the cash for the party to celebrate my life. I'd rather be remembered for a good sendoff than for having the most expensive coffin in the graveyard. I think people are much more likely to remember you fondly that way. "Remember his funeral? Best party I've ever been to." is what I'd like people to say.

lonesome_boy1980

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The bellow poem will be suitable for my funeral,,, I am young enough: It is not growing like a tree In bulk doth make Man better be; Or standing long an oak, three hundred year, To fall a log at last, dry, bald, and sere: A lily of a day Is fairer far in May, Although it fall and die that night - It was the plant and flower of light. In small proportions we just beauties see; And in short measures life may perfect be.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
I'd leave any kind of service upto those who are closest to me. All I ask is to be cremated and spread in several places around the world that are important to me.
My return to the ether would not be affected by whatever funeral I do or don't have, so I'll allow the ones whom it will affect to decide.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The bellow poem will be suitable for my funeral,,, I am young enough: It is not growing like a tree In bulk doth make Man better be; Or standing long an oak, three hundred year, To fall a log at last, dry, bald, and sere: A lily of a day Is fairer far in May, Although it fall and die that night - It was the plant and flower of light. In small proportions we just beauties see; And in short measures life may perfect be.

I am reminded of two quotes:
...All around me darkness gathers, fading is the sun that shone; we
must speak of other matters: You can be me when I'm gone.

Flowers gathered in the morning, afternoon they blossom on, still are
withered by the evening: You can be me when I'm gone."
--Neil Gaiman, Sandman: The Kindly Ones

October knew, of course, that the action of turning a page, of ending a chapter or of shutting a book, did not end a tale.
Having admitted that, he would also avow that happy endings were never difficult to find: "It is simply a matter," he explained to April, "of finding a sunny place in a garden, where the light is golden and the grass is soft; somewhere to rest, to stop reading, and to be content."
--Neil Gaiman, Sandman: Season of Mists