itunes9 install problems

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Deno, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Does anyone know why my desktop icons changed after itunes update, all my icons are overlaid with a new symbol except recycle bin and an icon that is just a folder shortcut. I included a jpg of how they look. thanks

dektopicons.jpg

2. ges

ges Member

Albums:
    Please excuse my near-ignorance, but it looks as if they've all turned into temporary files. If that's correct, I don't know what the repurcussions might be. If there is one that's not essential, I'd open it , then close it again - maybe it'll change back. Hope this has been of some reassurance - better than waiting all day for a reply. Cheers and good luck.

3. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That is a generic "I don't haven an icon for this" icon.

4. SR_Blarney_Frank

SR_Blarney_Frank New Member

I would just ditch iTunes and use Winamp.

5. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmm...I didn't have that issue when I updated to iTunes 9.

6. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    that might be but you can see the original icon underneath the new icon that is why I said overlaid. Even when I right click on the icon and go to properties and change the icon it still remains like the jpg shows. All the icons are functional as far as I can tell. Thanks for the suggestion though. Somewhere I read about a icon cache that can be updated but I don't know how to do this in vista. anyone else know.

7. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That or foobar.

8. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Unfortunately you can't download things from the itunes store with winamp. This all started when Itunes would not let me download the new GI Joe movie without updating to itunes 9. GRRRRR!

9. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    I realized that the new icon overlay was something that was replacing the shortcut arrow overlay which I had previously disable, searching I found a registry tweak that once again disabled the overlay option and now only 2 shortcuts which are to internet address's are effected with this new overlay, good enough for me.
    I believe a windows update cause the issue, even though I have autoupdate turned off, I still got an update for some reason because when the computer rebooted after the itunes upgrade windows update showed a confuguring update stage 3 of 3 notice, how this happened with auto update turned off is beyond me. but Thanks again.

#9 Deno, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

This is exactly why there's such a big push in the tech industry to adopt open-source file formats and applications.

When you use a "licensed" product from a proprietary vendor like Apple or Microsoft, you're at the mercy of any changes they make.

Fuck that bullshit. Shitcan Windows, use Linux. Forget IE, use Firefox. Fuck iTunes, use Rhythmbox or XMMS. Hell with the Apple Store, learn BitTorrent.

11. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:

EXACTLY!! Well said.

Draft saved Draft deleted