I've Been Alone My Entire Life

Johannes88

Expert Member
Media
Navassa Island (U.S. Minor Outlying Islands)
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
All my life I have been alone and I don't know how to deal with this situation anymore. I am chronically shy, very anxious and still in the closet despite my 32 years of age.

I'm good at pretending to be straight. The last time I tried to be open with someone during college, I was rejected by the man I loved (I still do) and others blackmailed me for my sexual orientation, because they discovered my interest in him.

Due to the lack of a credible prospect of love and happiness, I have pondered finishing it all, but images of my family's suffering have deterred me from doing so for the past decade. I live in a limbo and empty, without motivations

Brodie888

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Firstly, l'd suggest getting counseling, even if it's phone counseling from a help line to start with. A group that specializes in LGBT+ issues.

The past doesn't equal the future and you have probably double your current time to find it.

Secondly, for your shyness perhaps you can explore things like Secondlife to be able to anonymously interact with gay men and make some friends there to begin.

Thirdly there are lots of people like yourself who take time to find themselves in the world. Suicide would be a waste to what you can contribute to this world even if you can't see it yet. Whether it's caring for your parents in the future, a niece or nephew or even children of your own.

There is a way, you just have to find it.

theplayerking

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It can take a long time. While I’ve had a lot of casual sex, I didn’t find my first boyfriend until I was in my early 40s. I agree that you should speak to a counselor. You could also join some groups, like a book club or an intramural sports team, that have LGBT members.

Reactions: Johannes88

dreambridger

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You're not alone. I have several friends who are virgins in their late twenties and early thirties, one of them is even straight. Please be patient with yourself.

Also, if you're considering "finishing it all", that signifies you have nothing left to lose, so you might as well try some daring things that your shyness normally wouldn't allow you do, before getting your personal fat lady to sing.

Also consider the fact that some of us who haven't always been alone and have partnered with others before, we can still feel like love and happiness is not a credible prospect for us. Having someone else won't necessarily cure those feelings. We can all feel that way with or without others. Anyway, you're brave for being open with us about it.

Stingray08

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I completely relate to your words here bro. Please hang in there. Please talk to someone. I grew up anxious and shy my whole life, and still battle it daily. I had one long term relationship with a woman who actively pursued me. I tried to trick myself into thinking I could pretend to be straight but obviously that didn’t work.

We split and I was alone for almost seven years before I had the balls to try and find someone. I still hadn’t come out to anyone who was close to me at that time.

Counseling working with mindfulness, and EMDR therapy helped me with learning to live with anxiety.

I found online dating to be the best for me, being shy/anxious like you. It cuts out the scary intro part, the nerves of going to bars, etc.

It took a few months and it takes some effort to meet someone worthwhile, but I found someone who after getting to know each other met in person and fell for each other. That gave me the courage to finally come out to others as well. We’ve been going strong for a year now.

I emphatically relate to your story. I know that empty hopeless feeling all too well. I would recommend speaking with a counselor for your anxiety....mindfulness helps a ton (if funds aren’t there for therapy YouTube is an amazing resource too. And if your anxiety is related to any type of trauma (and sometimes we can create trauma by way of our own anxious thoughts) EMDR therapy is amazing.

I tell my story here for no reason other than I relate so much to your post and want you to have hope. I was in the same place as you, some hard work, patience and persistence I’m now in a better place. Try online dating. Meet someone there first. Wish you the best.

Vibes, bro....good vibes.

All my life I have been alone and I don't know how to deal with this situation anymore. I am chronically shy, very anxious and still in the closet despite my 32 years of age.

I'm good at pretending to be straight. The last time I tried to be open with someone during college, I was rejected by the man I loved (I still do) and others blackmailed me for my sexual orientation, because they discovered my interest in him.

Due to the lack of a credible prospect of love and happiness, I have pondered finishing it all, but images of my family's suffering have deterred me from doing so for the past decade. I live in a limbo and empty, without motivations
Before I get into anything: talk to someone. Like, today. Here are a couple of suicide helplines for the islands:

Barbados helpline
Trinidad & Tobago helpline
Jamaica

Here is a highly rated Caribbean-centric blog, with podcasts focusing on mental health discussions. In particular, these might interest you:
Pain so real you want to die
Be easy with yourself

I am not going to pretend to know what it is like growing up on an isolated island with a community that does not support me. However, I do have experience growing up in small towns in a time when it wasn't popular or accepted to be gay, and with a father whose job it was to sniff out homosexuals in the military.

So, I do understand being lonely, and without support, and being taken into dark places.

I also loved someone who didn't return that love back to me. Head over heels. I carried that for years.

Like you, I was very shy as well. And anxious. I still have anxiety issues to this day, but my shyness has diminished. For me, getting out there in a career where I had to work with people, and communicate, forced me outside of my shyness box. But, being an introvert, that only worked so far. I had to understand my limits of that, and accept them.

When I was able, I moved away from my community of friends and family and found people that not only accepted me, but helped me to thrive. I found that family doesn't have to be blood-related, and those people that didn't support me, who only liked me if I pretended to be what they wanted..they weren't my friends either. Honestly, there wasn't much to leave, but there was a gold mine of discovery and happiness when I finally did.

I'm not here to tell you what to do. What I did worked for me, but your life and circumstances are your own. I will say that if you are still reading this, it means that you are still looking for help, and that is a great thing. As a survivor of suicide, I know that when you get to a space where you are searching, and listening, you are not in those deep woods anymore. At least, not today. So be kind to yourself for being here today.

Please talk to someone. You don't have to go into everything. Just make a call and say Hi. They know.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I can relate friend. I agree with others here in that you should seek some counselling to work some of these issues out. Most of us go at it alone and are broken for many years due to the hardships that this lifestyle present. Sometimes a change is necessary even if it means leaving everything from your past behind and starting from a clean slate. You will find your tribe that will accept you for you. At some point you have to accept yourself and disregard what others feel about you because it stifles you from making long lasting relationships that go beyond hooking up. Don't do anything drastic. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get there.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

I can relate friend. I agree with others here in that you should seek some counselling to work some of these issues out. Most of us go at it alone and are broken for many years due to the hardships that this lifestyle present. Sometimes a change is necessary even if it means leaving everything from your past behind and starting from a clean slate. You will find your tribe that will accept you for you. At some point you have to accept yourself and disregard what others feel about you because it stifles you from making long lasting relationships that go beyond hooking up. Don't do anything drastic. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you will get there.

Funtimez12

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Gonna be 29 on Friday and have never had a boyfriend. It gets really lonely and sad and it’s hard to see yourself finding love when you’ve gone your whole life without it. I feel worthless sometimes over it but I just remind myself life can change in an instant. All it takes is one moment and u can fall into someone’s arms. Peoples circumstances change. There are ppl who grew up poor who are now millionaires. Just hang in there. One day you might be someone’s hope. You could find yourself in love and one day stumble across a guy who’s been alone his whole life and u can give ur testimony. If you should end it why shouldn’t the rest of us who’ve been single? Should we all abandon our families and any opportunities for love? Cmon u don’t wanna do that. Think of your mom, you wanna make her hurt for the rest of her life? Hang in there! You’re not alone in this and if u need to talk this thread is always open and there’s lots of hotlines for when the pressure gets to be too much.

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Have

I’m going to attach a picture from this forum from a thread you might have written a few years ago. It’s a young man in your same station in life; asking the same questions and filled with the same doubts.
You my dear friend are not alone. There are other men who feel like you do. However, don’t equate being alone with feeling alone or lonely.
There is a wealth of information on this site and the men here have given you much wisdom. I’m sure that any of us who have responded on this thread would be happy to exchange emails with you.
Many of us have been in your shoes and walked up to that dark edge of taking our life. I won’t be so bold as to speak for everyone, but things will get better and you will be a better man, because of and in spite of your past experiences.
I send you love and hope and blessings. There are many resources available and many listed here by thoughtful and caring men. Look at the names listed here and you can see the evidence of love we have for you. Reach out your hand and trust in the future.

Attachments

cnkckfil

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You don't have to be alone. If you are shy you can chat online now with so many other gay guys anonymously. You can apply that same technique to all the popular gay apps as well.

I wanted to end it all due to my overwhelming loneliness at one point as well but stopped myself because of my family. I am not lonely anymore and I am so glad I decided to move forth. It's important you recognize your depression, accept it and get help for it. You deserve love, acceptance and happiness like everyone else.

RobRossiFan

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I live in small northern town, that I believe is 99,5% straight.
and I feel 100% lonely. nobody cares for me, nobody loves/wants me.
simple, but lone life of lone closeted provincial gayman.
I have no dates, no mates, no friends, no fans, no fuckers, no babies.
All guys I like and whom I opened up about my desires amd feelings - rejected me.

cnkckfil

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I live in small northern town, that I believe is 99,5% straight.
and I feel 100% lonely. nobody cares for me, nobody loves/wants me.
simple, but lone life of lone closeted provincial gayman.
I have no dates, no mates, no friends, no fans, no fuckers, no babies.
All guys I like and whom I opened up about my desires amd feelings - rejected me.

If that is your face picture in the thumb nail photo you are a handsome guy. Rejection is very normal in our community. You don't have to be alone and I am sorry that you live somewhere that confines the lifestyle you want to live. Chat groups, apps, webcams are all ways that you can connect outside of your geographical undesirable area. Hugs and tugs bud

RobRossiFan

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Of course this is not me. that's my nickname devoted to. I am tall, lean, blond guy. may be too tall, may be too lean. face is OK but could be more handsome.