I've been struggling with a condition for some time now...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Thoraxis_Biggulp, Apr 19, 2008.

1. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp New Member

... and I must say, Writer's Block is a horribly vicious cycle. Trying to work around it leads to a headache, which then makes the Block worse. The worse the Block, the worse the headache.

2. uncut1234

uncut1234 New Member

fire up the bong

3. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

You know, I actually used to do that with my first serious attempt, but that only made matters worse. I went back and skimmed over it only to find boatloads of plot holes and inconsistencies.

4. latte0ne

latte0ne New Member

Try focusing on something else for a while. Maybe it's bad becuase you are giving it so much attention.

5. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

That's usually what I do. Also, trying to write after watching a bad movie doesn't help either.

6. goldeneye

goldeneye Member

I've been writing professionally for a few years now, but I've written all my life and because I know how good I am, I am an insane perfectionist and demand nothing less than the very best from everything I write. It really makes it a living hell a lot of the time. Just today I was helping a friend who's a performer write a new bio for her website, and it was nothing big at all, but it took hours because I agonized over every sentence. It turned out very nicely, though, and most of the things I work on end up being really good...in fact, what sucks is more often than not, the more I agonize, the better the piece ends up turning out. I nearly killed myself a few weeks ago over my magazine's cover story, and it ended up being really something quite special and one of the best things I've done, and it's raised my stock quite a bit within the field. I don't know what to tell you...every writer has a different way of dealing with writers' block, but I've kind of learned that even when I'm able to manage it in different ways, it's always going to BE there to some significant extent, and the only solution is to just push against it like hell and just write. The perfectionist in me will always create that fear and that doubt and that massive blankness in my mind that seems impossible to get around, but it's gotta be done. It's a grueling process for some of us, like falling off a cliff and clawing your way back up. Eh...s'gotta be done.

7. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

It's good to find someone who really knows what I mean. I'm no professional, but I've been writing fiction off and on for 20 years. (For those of you checking against my age, no that is neither typo nor exaggeration.) I know I'm good enough that I could write professionally if I so chose, and I'm a huge perfectionist with my work because of it. I have to make sure everything ties together in some way, no loose ends whatsoever, and if a character's significant actions aren't described just right, or they don't us the exact right wording, I'll slave over it to get it to sound exactly right. I often find myself miming motions just to give myself an example of how it might look and be done.
    Also, leaning towards complex plots can make it difficult to keep track of everything, especially when working from multiple perspectives. You have to keep track of who knows what, who believes what, who suspects what, what one thinks others know, believe or suspect, and finally what actually is going on. I think that's one of my biggest problems lately. I'm being extremely anal about potential plot holes and inconsistencies, as I should be.

8. goldeneye

goldeneye Member

If your writing ends up being better for the agonizing, then overall, not so bad...a lot of the best writers have been horrible perfectionists. Just don't get really so caught up in your head that you don't get anything down on the page. I'll sometimes write a couple of paragraphs and spend forever refining those paragraphs over and over that after a whole day of work I have only a couple hundred words to show for it. The most important thing is to just shut your internal editor off for a while and just get the words and the ideas written down. That's why it's called first draft. You can always go back later and perfect it, but there are a million reasons not to get it all on the page right away, and you shouldn't fall victim to them.

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

do what all the other great writers have done,

get drunk, then slice open that vein

10. MidwestGal

MidwestGal Member

Albums:
    no advice but good luck finding your inspiration or whatever it takes soon. Writing is something I can not do well.

11. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Yeh, that's one of my biggest problems... among others. I'm such a perfectionist, that it keeps me from putting anything down. And aside from fixing grammatical errors, I want it to be right the first time through. With all the layers and perspectives in the plot, I'm afraid that if I just rush through one part and fix it later, I'll lose track of connections and leave a gaping plot hole.
    My friends (non-writing friends) often suggest that I skip ahead to the nearest part where I know what I want to have happen. But if I do that, then it greatly restricts what I can have the characters do and say in between, and a lot of it ends up feeling forced. So no more of that.

Good news though is that I managed to grind out another chapter-and-a-half last night after this. I just have to make a quick transition into the second half of that chapter.

12. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Ah man, yeh I used to try drinking, too. Never worked for me. Never did cutting, but I did use a mechanical pencil to make scar drawings on the back of my hands.

13. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

Chapter and 1/2 in one night!!!!!!!!!

dang!!!!!!!

14. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Thanks. :smile:
    I think writing is one of those things that, well, either you got it or you don't. I never had a creative writing teacher who could actually teach a class as a whole how to write creatively, hence it's not an objective process.

15. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Ahaha.. Well this was off and on from, like... 1 AM to 7 AM. My progress has been horribly slow, and I'm trying to catch up. Also, my chapters range from 5 to 15 pages, 12 pt 1.5 spacing, so it's not as much as it may sound like.

16. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Well, it seems that talking with someone who can actually relate is a good remedy for it. Things are going a lot more smoothly now.
    Also, there's the feeling of self-made necessity and an overall drive to finish what's become my life's work.

17. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

cool!!! ...

think I'll sit down tonight and bang out a few

18. D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Awesome. And after the orgy, maybe you could write some, huh?

19. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

:lmao:

maybe

20. goldeneye

goldeneye Member

Hahaha.

Draft saved Draft deleted