I've got a sore throat

Anyone else use a steroid inhaler for asthma?

Apparently sore throat or thrush (not got that) is common during treatment, but don't seem to be able to shift it. Tried gargling, mouthwash, yoghurt (to boost natural bacteria).

Any ideas? :redface:

paigexox

Sexy Member
Media
I have absolutely no useful advise.

But look on the bright side, I destroyed my knee a while back and couldn't have sex for two months, let alone walk without looking like half my brain stopped working. At least you can still do that!

So what you *should* do is beat off and drink a bottle of NyQuil. If you don't believe me, look no further than Denis Leary on youtube for more information. :biggrin1:

"giant fucking Q!"

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
U need mah hawt protein loofah rubbin dose tonsils, joll.

Seriously, I use a steroid inhaler for asthma. Never had the problem.

Here's something from a website, though:

One problem that might occur when using a steroid inhaler (especially if you are taking a high dose) is that the back of your throat may get sore. Thrush infection in the mouth may develop. This can usually be treated easily with a course of pastilles that you suck or liquid that you hold in your mouth. You might also notice that your voice becomes more hoarse.

If you rinse your mouth with water and brush your teeth after using a steroid inhaler you are less likely to develop a sore throat or thrush. Also, some inhaler devices (such as spacers) are less likely to cause throat problems. A change to a different device may help if mouth problems or thrush occur.

U need mah hawt protein loofah rubbin dose tonsils, joll.
Yikes! :eek:

Cheers for the advice tho, Hhuck.

Yep, got the hoarse voice/sore throat thing. Currently using a spacer and mouthwash. Will try the pastilles and check to see if I'm gargling properly, lol. Otherwise I'll go the Doc's and ask to be fixed.

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have asthma, though I never suffer from it. I had it as a kid, but now.. it seems that I have managed to "grow" out of it, combained with that I actually do physical exercise, which helps I think. But I did have an inhalator (spelling) when I was younger.

Regarding the sore throat.. I got a tip. :) My mother always used to give me this.. and even now when I find myself with a sore throat I treat myself with this (or call my mother to pick up the ingredients for me.. ;P).

You make some ordinary hot chocolate, and then you put.. (OMG, I searched the webb for the english translation but it's nowhere to be found.. D:).. throat mint pills? Throat pills? You know.. those normal ones you suck on when you have a sore throat and it gives a fresh, smooth feeling..

..you put those in the hot chocolate, stirr and wait a few minutes, then drink and be happy. :D Tastes REALLY good! (YES IT DOES!), and leaves your throat smooth, it helps me. :]

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You make some ordinary hot chocolate, and then you put.. (OMG, I searched the webb for the english translation but it's nowhere to be found.. D:).. throat mint pills? Throat pills? You know.. those normal ones you suck on when you have a sore throat and it gives a fresh, smooth feeling..

Commonly called "Cough drops" over here.
The fancy term is Throat Lozenge

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Damn! Eveyone alreadt gave the good advice!

Stupid helpful everyone!:tongue::wink:

I had a sore throat back when I used PulmiCort(budesonide) corticosteriod inhaler as well as Azmacort (triamcinolone) I went to the doc to rule out thrush (not that thank God) and gargled with slat water (warm) and then treated it like any other sore throat. There is a tea I drink called Throat Coat (yes go ahead and start the jokes, lol) that I take that helps.

Prevention wise? A spacer helps, a does a quick rinse after use. I had no problems on Advair or Q-Var.

Hope this helps a tad. :redface:

Damn! Eveyone alreadt gave the good advice!

Stupid helpful everyone!:tongue::wink:

I had a sore throat back when I used PulmiCort(budesonide) corticosteriod inhaler as well as Azmacort (triamcinolone) I went to the doc to rule out thrush (not that thank God) and gargled with slat water (warm) and then treated it like any other sore throat. There is a tea I drink called Throat Coat (yes go ahead and start the jokes, lol) that I take that helps.

Prevention wise? A spacer helps, a does a quick rinse after use. I had no problems on Advair or Q-Var.

Hope this helps a tad. :redface:

Thanks Nico - yup, does help. Using Q-Var myself.
Will do the quick rinse and continue with the spacer.

Thanks. :D

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Anyone else use a steroid inhaler for asthma?

Apparently sore throat or thrush (not got that) is common during treatment, but don't seem to be able to shift it. Tried gargling, mouthwash, yoghurt (to boost natural bacteria).

Any ideas? :redface:
See your doctor. Nobody here is qualified to give medical advice, and people on this board who do advise you are indifferent to whether you get better or not.

B_Nicodemous

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
See your doctor. Nobody here is qualified to give medical advice, and people on this board who do advise you are indifferent to whether you get better or not.

Um. Oookay.... Well if it wasn`t clear in my "i went to see a doctor..." I was implying he see one to rull out thrush. The other side effects are well known by anyone who has asthma and has used these products (as I myself have) While not a doctor it does give me some insight as to what may be going on.

As for the statement that we are indifferent as to whether or not he gets better? I canb`t speak for anyone other than myself, but I take offense at that little comment. I hope he gets better soon as I happen to rather like him (Joll I rather like you, since I didn`t say that before :wink: )

So: Joll, go to the docs if ya haven`t already. Donlt be surprised if it is thrush (lovely gargle they will give you if it is) or if it is just irritation. If it is side effect irritaion it may or may not go away. From my personal experience I have had one (azmacort) where the sore throat never subsided and tested negative for thush and everything else. Stopped one they took me off of it (and that one had a built in spacer)

Hickboy? Are you happy now that I qualified it?

And I've got a brand new pair of rollerskates...but I can't help you.

Seriously, I don't know. Never got a sore throat from my inhaler. I do the honey/tea/whiskey thing. Feel better!
Well I've got a brand new combine harvester. :smile:
And thanks, Nick. :)

So: Joll, go to the docs if ya haven`t already. Don't be surprised if it is thrush (lovely gargle they will give you if it is) or if it is just irritation. If it is side effect irritaion it may or may not go away. From my personal experience I have had one (azmacort) where the sore throat never subsided and tested negative for thush and everything else. Stopped one they took me off of it (and that one had a built in spacer).
Cheers Nico. :) Seen them twice and so far told me it looks a bit red, and I should gargle. Can't see any thrush type stuff, but if it persists I'll see them again and get the meds changed.
Cheers dude. :D

Have done, bro. It's interesting to get people's experiences/advice on here, especially if they've been through similar stuff. Doesn't necessarily mean I'll take it without thinking, tho.
I see what ya mean tho - altho I'm not sure everyone is indifferent. 'Specially you. ;)