I've lost my voice...

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I mean, totally lost my voice! :eek:

All I can do is whisper.... don't think the americans can even tell I am a brit anymore.... :rolleyes:

Just went to the pharmacy and the guy suggested I try gargling listerine :confused: so I am, though it's making me wretch....

He actually said I needed to go to the emergency room, but I dread to think how much that'll cost...

Any idea how I can get my voice back please?!?!
I'm meeting the luscious Camper Joe and Exwhysee on Monday and at this rate they are in for a very quiet evening... :redface:

HELP!!!!!

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You lost your voice, and the guy at the pharmacy told you to go to the emergency room?? nah, there's no reason to do that.. it's that time of year with flu season, everybody's getting sick, a bunch of people I know have lost their voice as well. Don't worry 'bout it; just wait it out a couple of days, and it'll start to improve.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well I have to agree with you re the emergency room - it's hardly an emergency...

But I haven't got the flu... and it's been getting worse rather than better over the last ummm... oops... month.

Did start with a sore throat... but got worse with an asthma attack, I thought it was my steroids from that but its now gone... rather than come back!! :frown1:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Even though you don't have a full blown flu, whatever it was I had never escalated into full blown symptoms quickly, it lingered for weeks. First I had a fever on the 1st Friday Jan 2008, over the weekend that broke and I really had no runny nose, head congestion and so on for almost another 2 weeks and that's when I lost my voice as well. But even then, the flu symptoms were very mild with head congestion and the runny nose never happened. It took close to a month to really get over that, but eventually I shook it. And then earlier this week, I had a relapse (maybe of something that has morphed into a new virus or something) of the voice loss, there felt to be a lump in my throat at the base of my neck, it was hard to swallow saliva that we all do naturally between breathing. Anyway, my voice has returned and the soreness in the throat is gone.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I mean, totally lost my voice! :eek:

All I can do is whisper.... don't think the americans can even tell I am a brit anymore.... :rolleyes:

Just went to the pharmacy and the guy suggested I try gargling listerine :confused: so I am, though it's making me wretch....

He actually said I needed to go to the emergency room, but I dread to think how much that'll cost...

Any idea how I can get my voice back please?!?!
I'm meeting the luscious Camper Joe and Exwhysee on Monday and at this rate they are in for a very quiet evening... :redface:

HELP!!!!!

Did you look under the refrigerator?

Seriously, one thing that works for me is to make a cup of very strong tea and allow it to cool to lukewarm then gargle with it. I think it's the tannins and whatever other astringents that do the trick. The most important thing to do is to REST YOUR VOICE. That means don't talk unless you absolutely have to, and when you do talk, speak in a low, quiet voice and DO NOT WHISPER. Whispering fatigues the vocal cords and is one of the worst things you can do to your voice.

I've used Clear Voice spray and it's damn near worthless. Doesn't taste bad, though.

Stretch

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Try not to use your voice at all for a few days. This includes whispering, as loud, harsh whispering is actually MUCH harder on the vocal cords than vocalizing normally.

That is exactly correct Qua?. Whispering is much harsher. IknowKK...try not to use your voice at all. Boil some water, place a towel over your head and gently inhale the steam. You can also take an Ibuprofen such as Advil to bring down the swelling of your vocal chords. You can also lightly gargle with warm salt water. Sage in the form of a lozenge or as tea is the best herb for the voice and throat. Beyond that just rest and you should have your voice back in a fairly short time. Hope you get well soon...:smile:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Having just gotten back from the hospital with mine , I advise you to try to take it easy. THere are all sorts of respiratory disorders going around recently that are not to be played with which may inflame your larynx. It sounds like the folks are taking care of you. Dont freak out and make sure you keep your doctor abreast and try to rest. If it is a virus antibiotics may not help you. If it is allergies you may find some help but make sure you know exactly what you are experiencing before you take over the counter drugs. It can make it worse.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thank you my lovelies!!!

I tried everything...

Even the most disgusting thing on earth called 'Singers saving grace' :frown1:

Nothing seemed to work for 60 hours!

Then half way through dinner with the boys I got volume :biggrin1:

Not a lot... but enough to be heard... which is lucky cos I was running out of blank tablecloth.... (the girl in the very nice restaurant gave me a pen to write on it so as to save my voice! :rolleyes: how sweet :smile:)

Though it turns out Americans can't understand my handwriting as well as my accent! :tongue:

D

deleted3782

Haha you handwriting is so curly swirly! I hope your voice continues to get better. You're a great girl, better than meeting Dawn French! haha. Camper too, great dinner mates! Lets do it again soon!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Try not to use your voice at all for a few days. This includes whispering, as loud, harsh whispering is actually MUCH harder on the vocal cords than vocalizing normally.
Excellent advice!

OMG! I can't believe this thread has been here for 3 days and I missed it! :redface: You poor thing, nothing sucks more than being sick thousands of miles from home. :frown1: I know because I have been there numerous times.

I used to travel a lot for work and for some odd reason everytime I went to Portland, Oregon I would get wicked bad bronchitis. On my last trip to Portland, OR I ended up with not just bronchitis but acute viral laryngitis and a cough which sounded like a seal barking. Mothers and grandmothers alike would look at me puzzled and kept telling me I sounded like I had a croupy cough. Apparently noone over the age of 5 gets the croup hence their puzzled looks. :tongue:

I'd bet money you have acute viral laryngitis just like I did.

Viral Laryngitis
What is viral laryngitis? Viral laryngitis is caused by a viral infection of the larynx.
What causes viral laryngitis? Viruses usually are contracted by inhaling respiratory droplets released into the air by people who are "carrying" the virus. What are the symptoms of viral laryngitis?

Viral laryngitis usually is characterized by:
  • General fatigue
  • Malaise
  • Low-grade fever
  • General body aches
  • Cough
  • Hoarseness
  • Sore throat
  • Dry throat
Other symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection may also be present, depending on the sites involved with the infection.

How is viral laryngitis diagnosed?
Usually, mild redness and swelling are present throughout all structures of the larynx, without predilection for any one structure in particular.

• In adults: Viral laryngitis usually does not cause airway obstruction in adults.
  • In children: Children with viral-induced obstruction of the subglottic larynx may have difficulty breathing, characterized by noisy breathing (stridor) and/or a cough that sounds like a small dog barking – often referred to as a "croupy cough."
How is laryngitis treated?
Treating laryngitis involves treating the underlying cause and/or removing the irritant from the environment. (For more information, see Understanding the Disorder.)
General Guidelines

• Hydration is an important component of laryngitis treatment. In most cases of laryngitis, either the mucous secretions are excessively thick or the lubrication of the larynx is decreased.
    • Drinking water helps to maintain the thin character of the mucosal lubrication.
    • Steam or mist humidifiers can help to lubricate the vocal folds.
    • Avoiding exposure to drying agents such as caffeine or dehydrating medications can also help to preserve the lubrication of the larynx. (For more information, see Laryngitis Sicca.)
  • Limiting voice use allows the vocal fold tissue to heal without the added trauma and stress caused by trying to phonate with swollen vocal folds. Voice rest can help to accelerate the healing process.
  • Surgery is rarely indicted for laryngitis.