I've solved obesity!

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ever wonder why some people can eat whatever they want and stay skinny and others just look at food and gain weight?

So have I and I've have been increasingly gaining weight in my middle age.

Why did I gain so much weight after my twenties? Why was I a fat teenager?

Why does anyone get fat considering it is such a marker for early death and serious health problems?

Why does one gain weight back after losing it?

Why does exercise and diet seem to work after a bit but lose their potency only after a little progress is achieved?

The answer?

The answer lies in your gut (Stephen Colbert would agree).

And it is bacteria.

Yes, obesity is linked to bacteria. It's no secret that scientists have been noticing that the oral bacterial profiles for skinny and obese people differ greatly.

Why are they different and what is different about them?

Obese people have a preponderance of firmicutes and skinny people had more bacteroidetes present in their saliva. The abundance of bacteroidetes present in skinny people's saliva indicates that they have a healthy balance of the most common and non pathogenic bacteria known to man. This in and of itself was of no real scientific value to the researchers but what they were concerned with was the overabundance of firmicutes found in obese people. Firmicutes are gram positive bacteria (which means that they do not have strong and complex outer membranes of their cell walls) that are shaped in either a circle or a rod and can be found nearly everywhere in nature.

Dr. Jeff Gordon at Washington University in St. Louis, who is one of the nation's leading bacteriologists, performed two studies that were published in the 1996 issue of Nature.

"All humans have trillions of bacteria living in the gut. Their role is to combat pathogens and break down food. In 2004, Gordon proposed that these microbes might play a role in controlling body weight.

Gordon theorized that certain bacteria have the ability to harvest energy more effectively than others. Bacteria in the gut are able to extract many of the nutrients from the foods with which they come in contact. If some species of bacteria are better at harvesting these nutrients than others, then people with more energy efficient bacteria might absorb more calories and gain weight more easily.

Gordon tested his hypothesis on twelve obese volunteers and five lean volunteers. He used genetic sequencing to identify the different species of bacteria in the subjects’ guts.

The majority of the bacteria he identified fell into two groups – the firmicutes and the bacteroidetes. However, the sequencing showed that the obese volunteers had 20 percent more firmicutes and almost 90 percent less bacteroidetes than the lean volunteers."

It would seem that the bacteroidetes pretty much run things in the flora of the intestine in normal and healthy individuals. The bacteroidetes seem to be in antagonistic to the growth of the firmicute population and visa versa.

Bacteroidetes are friendly and non pathogenic for the most part.

Firmicutes are almost all pathogenic, resistant to anti-biotics and many produce spores. It is the spore production which makes them immune to an anti-biotic regimen. After the anti-biotics are administered and the flora is almost all killed off, the firmicute spores eventually hatch to an empty and hospitable environment. Plus, they are very hard to detect with most conventional laboratory tests.

So, once infected, the spores make it nearly impossible to restore the bodies gut flora to a normal balance.

There may be a genetic component that makes some people more susceptible to firmicute infection, that hasn't been determined by science yet, but I suspect that there is.

So, how does firmicute infection cause obesity directly?

"Marshall believes that the ability of CWD bacteria and firmicutes to proliferate is directly related to suppression of the vitamin D receptor (VDR)."

"Critically important to the body, the VDR controls the innate immune system, the body’s first line of defense against infection. It’s also responsible for turning on and off a wide array of genes and chemical pathways."

Vitamin D deficiency has been recently directly linked to obesity.

I know fat people that have deep and dark tans... how could this be?

"Dr. Marshall used molecular modeling to show that a protein called capnine, which is produced by certain species of biofilm bacteria, can also bind and inactivate the VDR in a manner similar to 25-D. He believes that other types of pathogens including viruses, mycoplasma and possibly even firmicutes may also produce proteins that act in a manner similar to capnine."

"Since the VDR must be activated in order to express the AMPs, individuals who are infected with firmicute bacteria, and consuming high levels of 25-D are no longer able to produce the AMPs."

"The AMPs play a critical role in keeping the bacteria in the small intestine in check. Healthy individuals appear to have some firmicutes in the gut. However, in individuals who no longer produce enough AMPs, firmicutes may find it much easier to proliferate."

OMG!!!!

What the fuck can the fat people do to save themselves from this pernicious pathogen?

Saccharomyces boulardii is the answer. Discovered by French scientist Henry Boulard by isolating a tropical yeast from the mangosteen and lychee fruits. Saccharomyces boulardii is a non pathogenic yeast that has numerous powerful health benefits and virtually no side effects.

Simply put, it has so many health benefits, I have coined it the "Jesus yeast". It can restore the normal balance of firmicutes and bacteroidetes as well as nuetralize some of the nuerotoxins that the firmicutes produce. Yes, firmicutes produce some of the world's deadliest nuerotoxins.

It is my opinion that many forms of Stomach and Colo-rectal cancer start out as a firmicute infection of the colon. It is also my opinion that firmicute infection is the leading cause of IBS and colitis.

It is also my opinion that many, many Americans are infected right now with firmicutes, specifically Clostridium

After being on Saccharomyces boulardii for around a week, I feel fucking FANTASTIC. I have been experiencing a GREAT amount of inflammation in my stomach and it has begun to manifest itself in some serious gut pain and discomfort recently. I have been basically planning on dying in the next several years from colon cancer and have been really bummed about it.

But after a week on Saccharomyces boulardii, I have lost weight, had a serious shrinkage of my gut, and a real and quantifiable increase in energy.

My name is Tripod and I am curing my obesity with yeast. I just wanted to share this with everyone who either has a problem with weight loss or has mysterious stomach issues that cause inflammation and discomfort.

Read the entire article on Dr. Gordon's research here.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've suffered from ulcers since I was 21. It's a recurring problem and one I've been concerned about curing for good ever since one of my ex-boyfriend's died from a perforated ulcer. He was found lying on the floor after bleeding to death internally. I wish to avoid his fate.

The only thing I've ever found that fixes it quickly is kefir, which is like probiotic yogurt, except with more types of bacteria. I discovered it accidentally. Milk products kill the pain and the burning instantly, but in the long run worsens the ulcer and the burning pain. I decided to give kefir a try instead of milk or yogurt and I was surprised to discover that drinking a little when I felt in pain cured the ulcer fast, every time. Instead of worsening the symptoms, they went away entirely so I no longer felt the pain that made me drink the kefir. It fixed it.

I prefer this method to the triple or quadruple therapy recommended for ulcers, which has always upset my body, taking that many antibiotics and drugs at once, so many annoying side effects, and keeping a special diet and timing my meals is just too much work. No thank you.

I don't know if kefir also helps keep me trim, I've never considered that possibility. I've never had a difficult time maintaining my weight. My closet only contains clothing in one size, because I refuse to grow out of my clothes. I wonder if my ulcer cure is related to the ease with which I maintain my weight.

Reactions: dennis7

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Interesting! Personally I drink milk everymorning for breakfast (sometimes chocolate... shhhh)

And if I want a snack I eat yogurt that seems to work for me. I think it's all about making good decisions! A lot of people have said the bacteria in plan yogurt can do the same.

Goodluck to you in your weightloss endeavor I'm sure you can do it :) Keep us posted on your progress!

Last edited by a moderator:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That was very interesting. I just forwarded the article to a friend. I'm going to take a walk over the Hungarian bakery and do some research.
Thanks for sharing.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The role bacteria plays in our gastrointestinal system is interesting. I've always known that yogurt and all it's pro biotic properties is very soothing for me - and it's no surprise that it's an integral part of East Indian cuisine, wisdom which has been around for centuries.

It is interesting to note that ulcers once thought caused by undue stress are actually caused by a specific bacteria, H. Pylori.

Thanks for posting the article.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
People get fat because they eat too many calories and don't do sufficient exercise to lose the extra calories.

This is fact.

Some people are brought up in households where there is an unhealthy focus on food. It can be out of (misguided) love ie in the case of Mama Cass whose immigrant grandparents would overfeed her as a result of the impoverished upbringing they themselves had.

If you overeat and don't exercise then no amount of bacteria on earth will get you to a healthy BMI. There comes a point where you have to exercise.

I'm not really sure if this bacteria is having a physical effect or if it is creating a placebo type of effect in the mind of the consumer; eg they are told it will make them lose weight and give them more energy so they imagine that, at least to some extent.

All I have to say is:

The study was published in 1996! Plus it focused on seventeen people, only twelve of whom were obese. It is not significant and no real conclusions can be drawn from such a pitiful sample.

Fourteen years later and I don't see any doctors recommending people to start taking bacteria supplements. Doctors are recommending diet and exercise.

Diet and exercise has always worked and will always work. The benefit of bacteria is questionable at best.

If you are obese its because you eat too much. That's all. And you don't exercise or exercise very little.

I don't think obesity is genetic. I think it is much more the result of bad eating habits being passed from generation to generation. Which to some people may appear as genetic but it is an environmental/social factor.

The reason that weight loss results from diet and exercise plateau after a while is because people don't stick to the schedule or increase exercise as required.

Diet and exercise works. But you have to work at it if you want it to...work.

Walking for an hour every day and not eating past 7pm are two simple measures to lose weight.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you are obese its because you eat too much. That's all. And you don't exercise or exercise very little.

Wow, thanx for the grade school lesson on metabolism brainiac. You obviously don't understand what I am getting at.

I've cast a pearl before a bunch of swine (no pun intended), I know that.

I have been taking the yeast for a week and I have lost 3 lbs and almost an inch from my waist in 6 days. Plus, I was experiencing serious pain almost every two or three days. I haven't experienced any pain since I've been taking the yeast. My skin looks better and I have a SHITLOAD of energy that I didn't have before.

It's not a fucking placebo effect.

Bacterial infections are real and you can look all over the internet for more scientific proof of what I am talking about.

Sometimes it takes years for the medical community to catch up with the scientific community.

Here's something from yesterday if you think that 1996 is too far back.

Another

and another

The last one I posted is the best and most informative, but I don't expect you to read it considering you have some sort of 19th century style tough love for people who struggle with their weight.

You are insensitive to other's difficulties and you're just plain wrong.

Incocknito

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not insensitive to others' "difficulties". I'm trying to give practical and real advice that has worked since the dawn of time.

Ancient Greeks had a Programme of Health. They were some of the fittest people in history and did not rely on bacteria.

All I am saying is that you're fooling yourself if you think that this bacteria will give you any real, sustainable weight loss. You need to have a routine of diet and exercise.

When the medical community at large (ie practicing doctors) adopt a policy of recommending bacteria as a weight loss treatment I will start believing.

Until then its just a few articles on the internet.

If I'm wrong then the various authorities on medicine are also wrong because like I said: this treatment is not routine.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, you know, this makes sense.

I have three teen kids. The oldest doesn't really eat differently than the other two, but is chunky like my dad. The other two are thin like me.

And two years ago, I went on a colon cleansing regimen that included replacing the the intestinal flora.

Around that time, 10 pounds melted off my frame to the point where I had strangers telling me to eat.

Eventually, I put 8 pounds back on, but I always wondered if the cleanse had something to do with the unrelenting weight loss.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The can replicate obesity in rats by just transferring the bacteria from an obese rat to a healthy rat. It's really rather simple.

The mystery is what makes some people vulnerable to the bacteria and what makes some people seemingly immune. They will find a genetic component for that eventually.

By the way, the source for the antidote is a product called Florastor.

Bacteria are fascinating and scientists know actually very little about them. I heard a scientist say that the scientific community is clueless as to how genes act within bacteria and that got me thinking about how we have been looking for the keys under the streetlight and not actually looking in the underlying causes. I've always been fascinated with pathology.

Most people don't understand that bacteria live in societies just like we do and they fuck, eat, sleep and wage war like humans. Bacteria invented antibiotics as weapons to use against each other. They are basically in charge of much of the body and inhabit the gut like humans inhabit the earth.

Again, I am convinced that pathogens are responsible for much of the rise of colo-rectal and stomach cancer, colitis, IBS and diverticulitis. Likewise, I believe that pathogens are responsible for obesity and the myriad of debilitating health problems that came from it.

What we have going on is genetic interaction between bacteria and our bodies. I suspect that the bacteria somehow insert their own genes into ours through a direct genetic transfer of some sort. These new genes are then most likely responsible for a human's susceptibility to obesity by allowing the body to become more hospitable to the bacteria or reducing the bodies natural defenses against them.

There may be a reason for this genetic transfer though. It may be a genetic mutation that arises out of starvation. The human body may make a deal with the devil in order to have a mechanism to slow down the bodies absorption of nutrients in times when food was scarce. It may accept the bacterial DNA as an ultimate survival tactic. Our ancestors that starved would pass these genes to their offspring.

This would also explain society's utter disdain for obesity and obese people being seen as sexually unattractive and repulsive by the majority of humans. The starvation gene is as dangerous as it is a life saver and it would not be a badge of honor to display your ancestor's genes around our waists and hips.

So, if you are fat, you have ancestors that starved and or you actualized the genes for starvation that they passed down to you. It's totally possible to have ancestors that starved and be impossibly thin, it's just the random chaotic roll of nature's dice that picks out which genes are actualized and which genes are not.

The genes can be actualized through bad eating habits and lack of exercise though, I'm sure of it.

So, it's genetic and environmental. One can actualize these genes through bad habits, I agree with many of you that gluttony, laziness and slothiness are the source of much of the obesity in the world.

But believe it or not, there are many overweight people that eat well and exercise regularly. I am one of them. every pound I lose, I can gain back so fast, it makes my head spin. Many people have bellies that are swollen from inflammation as well and could use a house cleaning/police action in the ol' colon to immediately reduce intra-thoracic pressure. Reduced abdominal pressure can lead to instantly better breathing and it's subsequent health benefits.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Interesting. It's not something I'd heard of before, but it's certainly plausible.
A lot of our digestion is actually carried out by bacteria and our bodies absorb what they release, so it's possible that the firmicutes actually release more energy from the food for our bodies to absorb than the bacteroidetes do or that they use up less of the energy they release. That would certainly affect weight gain/loss.

I don't think there's much bacterial>human DNA transfer, although there has been some, most notably mDNA. DNA incorporation is more likely to happen with viruses.

I don't think I'd base my whole weight loss programme on taking dietary supplements containing yeasts - that could potentially cause more problems. However, it certainly merits more research, and if it does have an effect no matter how small, it would be well worth pursuing - to quote Tesco: "Every little helps".

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Every time I return to the USA I gain weight. Granted, I don't walk as much as I do at home in Spain or Argentina, because I'm stuck driving 140 miles round trip just to buy a quart of milk. But I'm otherwise active on my ranch and do a lot of backpacking, hiking, and physical work. But my diet when I return to the USA is nothing like it is in Spain. And my diet in Spain is nothing like it is in Argentina. However, Spain and Argentina have one thing in common in the grocery store: a bajillion varieties of yogurt, clabbered milk, and probiotic food products. Bottled water with probiotics is available everywhere in different flavors and zero calories. Little yogurt cups, like Activa that is sold in the USA, are available in eight or nine competing incarnations, which is odd for Argentina because the country essentially only has two companies that produce dairy products, thus are responsible for creating the nine or so competing varieties of probiotic dairy products. And the Saccharomyces boulardii Tripod writes about is usually one of the additives in children's pudding cups and frozen yogurt ice cream bars.

But where I live in Spain there is an amazing variety of food traditions all based on olive oil. You really have to go out of your way to find and buy butter. We drip olive oil on crusty French-style bread, except the bread is made from whole flour -- not bleached. Next time you make a cake from scratch try using whole flour (not whole wheat, just the unbleached crap). You'll end up with a much denser and heavier cake. And seafood -- especially all varieties of sea snails, squid, octopus, hake, sardines, eel, and various algae -- is common in every day cooking. Fortunately, I'm a glutton for Mediterranean food, which in Barcelona frequently includes a bitter/sour yogurt type dressing used in Middle Eastern cooking and an emphasis on fresh-picked fruit and vegetables. Currently, we're sort of overrun with Middle Eastern restaurants and I'm not that fond of falafal or pita breads. Otherwise, there's not much difference between Catalunyan-style food and the stuff they whip up in Provence, France.

But I think there may be something to Tripod's thinking. In the US the commonly available yogurt is loaded with sugar or corn syrup. Aspartame is common. Coconut oil is a common ingredient in the cooking oil used by most restaurants in the USA and it has more cholesterol and heart-clogging fat than regular butter. I can't think of any restaurant along I-80 in northern Nevada that serves food that is not deep fried and loaded with artificial flavoring. Even Mexicans in Oaxaca who use tons of lard as a cooking fat in just about everything have less problems with obesity and heart attacks than in the USA. Basically, meat isn't the main part of a dish, even tacos are served up with more varieties of salsas (chili-based and avocado) and lots of shredded cabbage (no lettuce or cheese) than they contain meat.

When ever I return home to Spain, the weight (sometimes 3 or 4 kilos) I gain in the US quickly disappears in about 10 days. Of course, if you really need it you can buy McDonalds, KFC, or Burger King, especially in the tourist traps of las Ramblas (la rambla) and along the coast. But they're not as successful as they are in the USA.

Probiotics? Sure. Why not? Before all milk had to be homogenized in the USA lots of "good" bacteria showed up in regular whole milk.

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Coconut oil is a common ingredient in the cooking oil used by most restaurants in the USA and it has more cholesterol and heart-clogging fat than regular butter.
As far as I know, there is no cholesterol in coconut oil or in any other vegetable oil. Cholesterol is only produced by animals.

BiItalianBro

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Thanks for the find Tripod...very interesting stuff there.

Weight management is not as simple as input (diet) and output (exercise), as it was for earlier generations who were not exposed to HFCS, bleached grains, hormone treated meat and hybrid fruit and veggies. I have to eat WAY below my BMR (basal metabolic rate)to maintain status quo...and i engage in exercise and/or physically strenuous work every day.

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This might be the answer why I eat so much lesser than my other skinny friends, but I'm always the bigger one. I'll try the alternative advice. God bless you tripod for the article!!