Ivory Coast / Côte d'Ivoire

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Abraham Slinkin, Jan 1, 2011.

1. D_Abraham Slinkin

D_Abraham Slinkin Account Disabled

I'm sure you'll all have seen the Ivory Coast on the News lately.

The Ivory Coast is split into two - the mostly Muslim North and the Christian South. After a bloody and long civil war the North has been controlled by Islamic Rebels since 2007. Recently an election took place and the results were unclear - the current President Gbagbo, a Christian, won in the South, but his rival Alassane Ouattara, a Muslim, won in the North. But the UN who were monitoring the election have reported cases of vote rigging in the South in favour of Gbabgo, and based on that, with no actual proof at all, have came to the assumption that Ouattara 'probably' won.
    Based on this guess, the world has now chosen to recognise Ouattara as the President and are now threatening to invade the Ivory Coast to remove him.

But all this stinks.

No one knows the results of the election - because over half of the country (the north) is under the control of Islamic Rebels - and there has been widespread reports of vote rigging in the North. There are more Christians than Muslims in the Ivory Coast, and the sectarian nature of Ivorian Politics means that most Christians probably voted for Gbagbo. The North has a considerable Christian Minority - bigger than the Muslim minority in the South. Yet the 'results' from the North have Gbagbo around 1% of the vote - which is a FARCE.

No one seems to care about investigating the vote rigging against Gbagbo, but instead is concerned on the few instances of rigging in the south in favour of Gbagbo, where the opposition still did quite well.

Surely if he was going to Rig the election, he'd have done it properly, not producing the marginal results which came out. Secondly, why is no one investigating the widespread reports of rigging in the North? We just take the word of the armed rebels that they were free and fare?

But why would the World be anti-Gbabgo?
    He is Pro-African. The French have their claws all over the Ivory Coast, and before the civil war they controlled most of the wealth in the country. Gbabgo was very keen on Ivorians controlling the countries wealth, rather than foreigners - which is why the West is against him. They want to use and abuse the Ivory Coast and all of its resources.

All in All, no one knows who won the election, but Gbabgo probably won. Around 25% of the Population in the north who voted shouldn't even legally be able to vote, they're illegal immigrants from Burkina Faso - like Ouattara himself.

It's clear that the West wants to illegally and undemocratically install Ouattara as President to make sure that American and European companies are allowed to make profits in the Ivory Coast. What happened to us exporting Democracy? What message are we giving to the world about ourselves?

We may well cause a second civil war now.
    But the Media here in the UK doesn't report this - it just glosses it all over as Ouattara being the winner of the election and us sending in support for democracy - when infact it is the total opposite.

#1 D_Abraham Slinkin, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. Speculator

Speculator New Member

An interesting post, thanks.

Does the West have the moral legitimacy to be sorting these issues out though? We really need to get out own house in order before we start lecturing the Ivory Coast on the rights and wrongs of the democratic process, our own coalition government are backtracking on manifesto commitments for example and don't even talk to me about the democratic deficit of the EU.

In times of crisis such as these minor nation states need to take control of their own affairs.

3. midlifebear

Gold Member

Yeah, what a great idea. Just as the world ignored the Khmer Rouge during the 70s and 80s! Great idea. Let little nation states be taken over by a minority of thugs who then kill off all of the teachers, physicians, politicians, police, artists, writers, and, well -- basically anyone who can read. Yeah, that's a real good idea. Especially if the people of those little nation states don't look just like you. :cool:

4. kit_kat

kit_kat New Member

Things CAN be done in parallel.

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, you mean like in Burma?

6. Speculator

Speculator New Member

You want something to be done? Off you go then, don't forget to send us a postcard.

Edit; Oh and I've just noticed your other topic, the one where you openly criticise the military for letting off a bit of steam by writing and displaying a few comedy sketches. Bloody hypocrite.

#6 Speculator, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. midlifebear

Gold Member

Yup. Burma. Haven't thought about U Thant for decades.

8. midlifebear

Gold Member

Unlike you, dear Specky, I do DO things. The world is a bigger place than what you perceive with the myopic prescription for your eye glasses.

Hypocrite? Since when did I ever make fun of the military? And since you're so worried about the world economy (especially in the USA) you should also be equally interested in small countries enjoying peace and productivity.

Again, once you figure out a business plan and get your dainty feet wet you're hardly a knowledgable pundit on anything to do with economics.

Better check on who is cleaning your kitty box. Crazy stuff is dragging from your butt. :smile:

#8 midlifebear, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  9. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hate when somebody's propping up the 'Contras' in a situation. But I also hate how easily democracy can be undermined, even in our own great nation, by election rigging. I've been in shock ever since the 'hanging chads' in Florida that let Bush back in. Even electronic machines are easy to hack.

Noriega got put back in by the banana companies, I swear. Fela told it like it is on his continent. Even the latest genocide in the Sudan was brought on by oil.

So yes, which letter G should be in control in Cote d' Ivoire? Beats me.:crying:

Draft saved Draft deleted