Jamie Olivers Food Revolution

goodwood

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Has anyone been watching the new Jamie Oliver show Food Revolution?
A quick synopsis: he goes to the unhealthiest town in america - Huntington, West Virginia to work in a school cafeteria to make healthy food for children who were unable to properly identify vegetables, that live on pizza and chicken nuggets.

I am absolutely shocked to see how ignorant the people of that community are about healthy eating and the consequences of having really fat, unhealthy kids. and the fact that grade school children didn't even know what a knife and fork were or how to use them?! come on!

i think the show is a great idea and i hope it helps those people in that town to wake up and start getting healthier.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As I understand it, he's been on a campaign in the U.K. to have school cafeterias serve healthier foods, such as a variety of Indian dishes (which include lots of veggies, legumes, etc.; are often vegetarian; are flavorful; and are easily prepared for a large number of people for cafeteria-style serving). I believe he tried to eliminate chips (i.e., french fries) as a staple side dish in school cafeterias, but suffered a bit of a backlash as a result. I guess the Brits do like their chips. (It's sort of nice to know that we Americans aren't the only ones with that particular bad habit.)

In Super Size Me, Morgan Spurlock addresses the issue of the sort of unhealthful foods that school cafeterias serve; apparently it's far worse than we were kids, because many school districts have let McDonalds and other fast food chains into the schools to replace the traditional cafeteria. He also showed an example of one school district that made the very wise decision to eliminate burgers, fries, etc and to offer instead freshly prepared meals using lots of fresh veggies, and to offer fresh fruit and other healthy snacks. When given healthy choices, kids will eat them. Most kids (and adults) like fruit, but given a choice between fruit and fries or potato chips, for some reason we crave the chips. Take away that option, however, and we'll happily enjoy the fruit.

pdxman

Sexy Member
Media
Has anyone been watching the new Jamie Oliver show Food Revolution?
A quick synopsis: he goes to the unhealthiest town in america - Huntington, West Virginia to work in a school cafeteria to make healthy food for children who were unable to properly identify vegetables, that live on pizza and chicken nuggets.

I am absolutely shocked to see how ignorant the people of that community are about healthy eating and the consequences of having really fat, unhealthy kids. and the fact that grade school children didn't even know what a knife and fork were or how to use them?! come on!

i think the show is a great idea and i hope it helps those people in that town to wake up and start getting healthier.

Its West Virginia,,probably the most ignorant state too.

Media
Its West Virginia,,probably the most ignorant state too.

I would not go so far as to say THE MOST ignorant state. It was pretty bad when he held up vegetables like potatoes and tomatoes and the kids had no idea what they were.

I felt bad for them. The teach took the initiative and brought veggies in and labeled them accordingly and the kids properly identified the vegetables properly. So all they really needed was the right kind of exposure.

The whole refusal to teach the kids how to use proper utensils at the table just floored me.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The district admins that come to approve everything seem perfectly happy with doubt of nutrition importance. Whatever he does these fools will have the kids eating crap again after one week.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Yes he's a cutie but he;s also running across America trying to make school systems change their lunch menues, educate parents and school workers. He had a REAL hard job last season.
This season seems to be even harder for him in Los Angeles...surprisingly.
It must be a disgusting load of paperwork, avoidance, and idiotic supervisors that don't want to hear his voice.
Why wouldn't people want kids to have good food in school and show them why IT'S good and why what they've had so far is so bad for them.remember when I was a kid it was Salisbury steaks and food molded into shapes. YUCK.
I hope Jamie gets somewhere w/his vision and challenge for American schools. It would sure help w/obesity and diabetes which are two of the biggest problems now,
Jamie rocks!

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have watched the show and more power to the gentleman .............

two big problems to over come is the amount of money schools have to spend ............. the cut backs are killing us

then coming up with healthy foods that the kids will eat and not throw away ...... you just can't make a kid eat what they don't like and the old "they'll eat it if they are hungry enough" never worked with me

What I found astonishing is how much the adults pushed back. Nutrionists and administrators in charge of the diets for the kids didn't really want to go completely healthy...it would rock the boat too much. Ketchup is a vegetable... I remember girls would eat fries everyday for lunch at my school...and maybe have pizza on friday with a soda. Pepsi pays to get into the schools. Dominos pays to deliver to school and french fries are cheap and easy to sell to Mickey D's generation kids.
It's no wonder Jamie had and will continue to have such a hard time.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have appreciated Mr. Oliver's skills, attitude, and philosophy for years now. This show is a revelation. I applaud him in his attempts. I am embarrassed for my country, and its embedded corporate nonsense which prevents our kids from getting what they deserve.

A shame on us all.

Good on you, Jamie.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
two big problems to over come is the amount of money schools have to spend ............. the cut backs are killing us

It's strange don't you think that processed food is cheaper than unprocessed food? How can it be that adding an industrial process makes things cheaper?

The answer I think is that we have forgotten how to prepare and use food. A chicken for example should feed a family of four three times. The Chinese make delicious dishes from the parts of vegetables that we throw away.

S

superbot

Money is not the issue,everyone knows that it is far cheaper to feed children veg based meals than it is these revolting processed meals,which are packed full of fat! It's all about convenience and attitude rather than cost!

FleshlightMouth

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Great show, astonishing revelations... apart from the "pink slime" that gets pumped into the processed meat products, the most fattening and unhealthy school food sin I was unaware of is the combination of already sugary cereals with FLAVORED milk, adding even more sugar to the diet (and countless additives, artificial food coloring and who knows what)
ADHD, diabetes, obesity... sanctioned and approved by the supervisory school boards and funded by the food and drug manufacturers... even sneakier than the tobacco lobby!

This show should be required viewing for everybody!