Jason Els in Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey guys,

Thank you all so much for you support, I love you guys so much.

My mom's here, sister, dad, my cousin..... are all here.

Turns out I have lower esophageal cancer and tomorrow we meet with oncologist to see what the situation is.

Thank you all so much for your calls and cards and well wishes. It's difficult to process all this and I'll know more tomorrow.

I know some of you have gone through this before. It's terrifying. I don't know how you do it and live day to day.

I'll write more when I have time.

Superthroat

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oh god. that's horrible. I can't help but wonder about HPV connections. I have been planning to get my shots of Gardasil. I think cancer is the new HIV sometimes. Please take care of yourself.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Prognosis for esophageal cancer is generally good I believe. Most cancers nowadays generally have a guarded good prognosis if caught early. Get well as soon as you can Jase.

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Jason, sorry to have missed this thread earlier. I hope the meeting with the oncologist brings encouraging news and a clear plan. Also, it might be good to get a second reading of the pathology slides by someone specifically expert in esophogeal cancer and for you and/or your family members to research on centers of excellence.
Some of the top experts can be very generous. For example, Dr. Einhorn at Indiana University is one of the top experts, worldwide, in testicular cancer. His e-mail is readily available and he consults with patients and experts all over the world, just out of his concern and interest. In fact, this last summer when I was dealing with this concern, I e-mailed him out of the blue and received a cordial and helpful response in several hours.
I'll snoop around.
Dave

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jason, I'm very sorry to hear of the diagnosis, but I hope that it was made early enough in the development of your cancer so that you have a good prognosis. I have one piece of advice from you (and I'm sorry if I'm telling you nothing that you do not already know, but I don't want to take the chance that you don't): you should find out everything you can about the treatments available for your illness. Do not assume that your oncologist knows all the latest treatments and which is best for your case. He or she may know those things, but also may not.

I say this because I have a close friend who recently was found to have brain cancer. He is receiving care at one of the leading cancer centers in the country, but with the help of a biologist friend of ours he found out about other drugs that can be added to his chemotherapy that have very recently been found to improve the chances of patients with his particular sort of cancer. (Doctors very often do not have nearly the time that they would need for keeping up on the state of the medical art, even in their specialty.) I know nothing specifically about esophageal cancer: it may be, for all I know, that there are already treatments for a case like yours that have been well established to have excellent effectiveness. I am just saying that you should not assume this to be the case.

Have courage, keep your wits about you, and know that you have a lot of people wishing for the best for you.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I talked to Jason tnite and as for myself I am keeping everything I have crossed till all the test results come in on Monday. He seems in as good spirits as can be for now and his sister was great to talk to. I'm sending rockabilly beams his way as a golden light to smash whatever is wrong! Hugs Jase!

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Oh god. that's horrible. I can't help but wonder about HPV connections. I have been planning to get my shots of Gardasil. I think cancer is the new HIV sometimes. Please take care of yourself.

That has nothing to do with it. Trust me.

I don't generally talk about it but I have a rare kind of recurring bone cancer that's generally in remission but as Jason knows, I completely understand what he's going through.

He's handling this as well as can be expected and no more need be made of it until all results are in and all courses of treatment have been considered and decided upon.

Good wishes are incredibly appreciated, though.

Thanks.

Last edited:

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I just want to thank everyone who has been kind enough to call, send an e card or post
get well wishes for Jason.
I know that Jason appreciates what you've all done for him.
Thank you to Kotchanski and the mods who were kind enough to
edited this post at my request so everyone could send Jason those e cards.
It makes me happy to see all of us pulling together for a beloved member like Jason.
Thank you to all who contributed when I called.
cigarbabe:saevil:

Status
Not open for further replies.