Jazz-HipHop-Funk-Soul

B_hungprepjock

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Sorry about that! Back to the topic...

2009-10 marks the fiftieth anniversary of two of the most seminal albums in contemporary jazz history: Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and John Coltrane's Giant Steps. Two Absolute Must Haves!

I listen to WPFW, the Pacifica Foundation radio station in Washington, D.C., a lot, but especially the very knowledgeable Rusty Hassan on Monday nights and Tim Masters on Thursdays, as well as the various 'hip-hop collectives' of DJs that follow the weekday evening line-ups at 11 p.m. (like Bushhead Ed and the Decipher Soul Controllers on Thursdays; Big Ups, Ed!). I've learned a lot about jazz, the blues (The Stoop-Down Song; Baby, Meet Me with Your Black Drawers On; I'm Leaving Footprints on the Ceiling) and hip-hop, just by listening to that one station. You can pick it up on the Web as well as in podcasts. As Dizzy Gillespie says (in the station promo): 'Hope you got wit' dat, baby!'

My mom is really into Bossa Nova, and those catchy Samba rhythms are usually always playing on the Bolton system in our house. For the last couple of years, however, I've got more into other 'Sounds of Brazil' than just Sergio Mendes, such as the hawt girls of CSS and Marina Gasolina (title of a song by, and public image of the former lead singer of the group Bonde do Role; it just ain't the same group live without Marina, but the CD still rawks to a danceable hip-hop beat). I've been lucky to know some Brazilians in my life, and I think they all must be born dancing.

Growing up in the nineties, I was also inordinately fond of Kriss Kross' Totally Krossed Out (Check the track Little Boyz in tha Hood: 'Straight up, Homie!'), though as I got older I got into more sophisticated hip-hop; e.g., Public Enemy, NWA, De La Soul, Eric B and Rakim, A Tribe Called Quest, Snoop Dogg (especially Tha Chronic; Word up, White People, you need to listen to it!), M.I.A. as well as those artists already mentioned, while still remaining true to those two icons of my misspent youth, Run DMC and Eminem. You can basically blame Russell Simmons and Dr Dré for corrupting me!

For current trends in funk and soul, I, too, like Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (Check Where It Counts for some tricky syncopation); Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings (the house band at Daptone Records who also backed Amy Winehouse on her mega-selling, award-winning album); The-Dream (Rockin' That Thang) who also produced Mary J. Blige's last multi-award-winning album) and Les Savy Fav.

It's always struck me as curious how music, as much as it changes, still seems to evolve and to advance more slowly than the other arts (e.g., painting and sculpture), but always somehow stays the same in so many fundamental ways, from Bach to the Beatles, as they say...

Now, back to listening to Belle & Sebastian's respectful but also totally dope cover of Here Comes the Sun...

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's a lot of great underground hip hop and rap still going, my personal favorite being Jedi Mind Tricks. It's sad that so much of the mainstream stuff is so horrendous though, although that stretches across genres like Rock and even Country as well. Not that I like much country.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Love Parliament Funkadelic, too!!!

Of the three you've mentioned I only like Jazz.

And my appreciation of Jazz is centered specifically around Brazilian 1960s Jazz and Bossa Nova.

The artists who immediately come to mind are Joao Gilberto, Stan Getz, and especially Antonio Carlos Jobim.

I like all genres mentioned (not quite as much hip hop as the other three, but I do like Outkast and some other hip hop groups)... LOVE bossa nova!!!

Sorry about that! Back to the topic...

2009-10 marks the fiftieth anniversary of two of the most seminal albums in contemporary jazz history: Miles Davis' Kind of Blue and John Coltrane's Giant Steps. Two Absolute Must Haves!

I listen to WPFW, the Pacifica Foundation radio station in Washington, D.C., a lot, but especially the very knowledgeable Rusty Hassan on Monday nights and Tim Masters on Thursdays, as well as the various 'hip-hop collectives' of DJs that follow the weekday evening line-ups at 11 p.m. (like Bushhead Ed and the Decipher Soul Controllers on Thursdays; Big Ups, Ed!). I've learned a lot about jazz, the blues (The Stoop-Down Song; Baby, Meet Me with Your Black Drawers On; I'm Leaving Footprints on the Ceiling) and hip-hop, just by listening to that one station. You can pick it up on the Web as well as in podcasts. As Dizzy Gillespie says (in the station promo): 'Hope you got wit' dat, baby!'

My mom is really into Bossa Nova, and those catchy Samba rhythms are usually always playing on the Bolton system in our house. For the last couple of years, however, I've got more into other 'Sounds of Brazil' than just Sergio Mendes, such as the hawt girls of CSS and Marina Gasolina (title of a song by, and public image of the former lead singer of the group Bonde do Role; it just ain't the same group live without Marina, but the CD still rawks to a danceable hip-hop beat). I've been lucky to know some Brazilians in my life, and I think they all must be born dancing.

Growing up in the nineties, I was also inordinately fond of Kriss Kross' Totally Krossed Out (Check the track Little Boyz in tha Hood: 'Straight up, Homie!'), though as I got older I got into more sophisticated hip-hop; e.g., Public Enemy, NWA, De La Soul, Eric B and Rakim, A Tribe Called Quest, Snoop Dogg (especially Tha Chronic; Word up, White People, you need to listen to it!), M.I.A. as well as those artists already mentioned, while still remaining true to those two icons of my misspent youth, Run DMC and Eminem. You can basically blame Russell Simmons and Dr Dré for corrupting me!

For current trends in funk and soul, I, too, like Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (Check Where It Counts for some tricky syncopation); Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings (the house band at Daptone Records who also backed Amy Winehouse on her mega-selling, award-winning album); The-Dream (Rockin' That Thang) who also produced Mary J. Blige's last multi-award-winning album) and Les Savy Fav.

It's always struck me as curious how music, as much as it changes, still seems to evolve and to advance more slowly than the other arts (e.g., painting and sculpture), but always somehow stays the same in so many fundamental ways, from Bach to the Beatles, as they say...

Now, back to listening to Belle & Sebastian's respectful but also totally dope cover of Here Comes the Sun...

Another person who's heard of Karl Denson's Tiny Universe! Yay!!! Not to mention musical taste that goes all over the place like mine does - I mean, mentioning John Coltrane AND Belle & Sebastian! (Both among my favorites as well).

Jazz/Vocalese: Lambert, Hendricks & Ross begat The Manhattan Transfer, but the Pointer Sisters were the midwives.

Swing and Bebop are also always in heavy rotation chez UB.

Funk: Parliament/George Clinton; Rick James (of course); SOS Band; Gap Band among so very many others.

Soul: Millie Jackson, Curtis Mayfield, Issac Hayes, Chaka Khan, Teena Marie just barely touches the tip of the iceberg.

HipHop: Does this count? :redface:

Pretty much all of the above here!!!

And...

Here's one of my old favorites that I heard on the background music at work today...

YouTube - The Brothers Johnson - Strawberry Letter 23

More old favorites of mine (in no particular order):

YouTube - Give Up The Funk Tear [The Roof Off The Sucker] - Parliament

YouTube - The Gap Band - You Dropped A Bomb On Me

YouTube - Kool & The Gang - Get Down On It

YouTube - September by. Earth, Wind and Fire

YouTube - Dazz Band Let It Whip

YouTube - Stevie Wonder ~ Superstition

YouTube - Stevie Wonder - Don't You Worry 'bout A Thing

YouTube - Tell Me Something Good (Original Recording)

YouTube - SLY & THE FAMILY STONE - THANK YOU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=188Bkgg1Z2M

And one you probably haven't heard before:
YouTube - Antibalas - Gabes New Joint

I've seen Antibalas perform live twice. The only of the others I posted here who I've seen live is Chaka Khan (without Rufus).

Last edited:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And, not my usual genre (slower than what I usually listen to), but within the soul genre, I give you...

The song that although I'm NOT one of those girls who daydreamed about their wedding day all their lives, when I heard this song the first time, I said to myself, "I want this song sung at my wedding" - and I still do...

YouTube - On the Wings of Love - Jeffrey Osborne With Lyrics

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I used to play this: ( YouTube - In The Beginning/Man Made-Man Parrish ) a lot when I was a kid. The hoodies used to breakdance to this jam. Some even did the "Salsa Smurf" <==I am THAT old...if you remember that dance...you beyotches are old too.).

Like I said before...hip hop was party music back in the day... Dance music.

Last edited:

dougnick

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't fucking put hip hop next to jazz and funk music, it's sacrilegious. Jazz and funk music is music played by individuals who play INSTRUMENTS and have musical ability that has been honed by YEARS of hard work and woodshedding. They write SONGS not singles.

Putting the Ohio Players and The Weather Report next to Jay-Z or the Sugarhill Gang is like having an Old Milwaukee with your Chateaubriand.

The musical talent of all of the rappers in the world still doesn't equal to the talent in Herbie Hancock's left testicle.

I second that.....as the music world becomes more openminded, small minded (and little-talent) so called musicians have found listeners.....

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ooh, I found another one of my favorites on YouTube just now!

It's an old song (1971!)... I love Gil Scott-Heron anyway, but THIS is one of his songs that can be enjoyed no matter what your political persuasion. :biggrin1: This also happens to be one of my "feel-good songs"... when I'm down, this is a great pick-me-up! :smile:

YouTube - Gil Scott-Heron - When You Are Who You Are

D_Maurice Mountlilly

Account Disabled
Media
Don't fucking put hip hop next to jazz and funk music, it's sacrilegious. Jazz and funk music is music played by individuals who play INSTRUMENTS and have musical ability that has been honed by YEARS of hard work and woodshedding. They write SONGS not singles.

Putting the Ohio Players and The Weather Report next to Jay-Z or the Sugarhill Gang is like having an Old Milwaukee with your Chateaubriand.

The musical talent of all of the rappers in the world still doesn't equal to the talent in Herbie Hancock's left testicle.

what about the roots???

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Dusty Springfield
Aretha Franklin
Little Richard
Marvin Gaye
Smokey Robinson
Stevie Wonder
The 5th Dimension
Gladys Knight [& the Pips]
Bill Withers
Louis Armstrong
Gonna third (fourth?) Funkadelic-Parliament/George Clinton. Especially love the Maggot Brain album.

For some more modern stuff you can check out Seal or the Black Keys (a blues/soul-rock band).

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some more of my obscure stuff! :biggrin1:

I first heard of this band when they were performing at a festival I volunteered at (I used to go to a LOT of music and ethnic festivals; this particular one I volunteered at to save money after being notified that I was being laid off from my previously-steady job..). I had read about the performers that were going to be at this festival, and when I read about Pamyua, a band made up of black and Inuit (Eskimo) members, I just HAD to hear them! Unfortunately, because of the volunteer work I was doing, I only caught the tail end of their set, but what I heard was awesome! (They bring musical influences from both cultures into the mix, as I guessed that they would...) This video doesn't really do them justice, but it gives you an idea of their sound.

YouTube - Pamyua

As someone who is into world music, I'm fascinated by the ways in which music of two very different cultures can be blended together and sound great!

Another example of this is the blend of blues and Tuvan throat singing that was used in the movie "Genghis Blues" (you also heard throat singing toward the end of the Pamyua video - Inuits also throat-sing...)

YouTube - Kongar-ol Ondar and Paul Pena - Genghis Blues - Promo Video

("Genghis Blues" is a great movie, too... it's hard to find, though! I saw it at... another music festival I went to, back when I went to lots of festivals!)

inspectahdck

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
All albums from Wu-tang clan,
all solo albums of its members,(gza,rza,ol' dirty bastard,raekwon,mastakilla,inspectahdck,ghostface killa,u-god,method-man)
also some of the wutang affiliates,killarmy,jeru de jamaja,sunz of man,killapriest,cappadona,
gangstar
7L & esoteric
Afu-ra
big-L
big-pun
notorious big
semi-bruce lee(his group 2ieme monde)
iam(also shurik'n and akhenaton's solo albums)
supreme ntm
dubmatique
sans pression
ill bill & necro(brothers)
non phixion(disbanded, made by ill bill and necro)
immortal techniques
la coka nostra
army of pharaohs(superband like wu tang clan, arround 10 members)
ice cube
nwa
koriass
nas
oxmo puccino
radio radio
jedi mind tricks
kool keith
dom pachino
sabac
jus allah
outerspace
dl incognito
circle of tyrants

and thats about it for hip hop..then comes rock,metal,heavy metal,
then comes some random artists i found, johnny cash which made me love softer music,cats stevens which is my favorite artist, renamed yusuf islam(converted to musulman or islam idk)then i started listening to more and more older artists from my country(quebec) such as daniel boucher,daniel belanger,lewis furey etc...i could talk about music for ever :)