Jeep Waving

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler recently and I was informed to wave at other Wranglers when I pass them on the road...

I was just wondering if anyone else owned a Jeep Wrangler or could elaborate on this tradition.......?

Thanks!

Reactions: sudcalifornio

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
undoubtedly it has something to do with the bankruptcy of Chrysler.

Oh, ads for the 1960 Oldsmobile said much the same. had to do with recognizing another driver who enjoys the finer things in life. the driver was a white middle-aged male dressed in a dark suit and wearing a hat.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler recently and I was informed to wave at other Wranglers when I pass them on the road...

I was just wondering if anyone else owned a Jeep Wrangler or could elaborate on this tradition.......? Thanks!
'The Wave' is very common among certain makes and models of cars.

When dad purchased moms first Mercedes-Benz back in 1974 it was common for Mercedes-Benz drivers to toot the horn and wave at one another. There were so few on the road in our county back then, especially of the diesel variety, until ownership was like membership into an exclusive club.
Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules, regulations, and guidelines. Failure to obey the letter or spirit of the rules may result in your being ignored by otherJeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais.

Definition:

The Jeep Wave: An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of vigorous side-to-side motion of one or both hands, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette. Examples of commonly accepted modifications:
  • Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub
  • Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel
  • Southern/rural locations: Raise fingers from steering wheel, nod
It's not what you buy, it's what you build and what you do with it.

When in doubt Google is your friend.

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
undoubtedly it has something to do with the bankruptcy of Chrysler.
:261:

Oh, ads for the 1960 Oldsmobile said much the same. had to do with recognizing another driver who enjoys the finer things in life. the driver was a white middle-aged male dressed in a dark suit and wearing a hat.

Oh Dear God, :eek: why do you people buy cars, if you have no idea of their history or culture?:confused: Owning a Jeep Wrangler is as much about the lifestyle and community which goes with it as anything else. I bet the OP got it in an automatic and has no plans to go muddin', off roading, or upgrade it in his own garage. :rolleyes: :irked: :frown1:

Last edited:

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
:261:

Oh Dear God, :eek: why do you people buy cars, if you have no idea of their history or culture?:confused: Owning a Jeep Wrangler is as much about the lifestyle and community which goes with it as anything else. I bet the OP got it in an automatic and has no plans to go muddin', off roading or upgrade it in his own garage. :rolleyes: :irked: :frown1:

Of course!!! I'm already planning my week full of camping excursions and fishing outings!!!

And, Google is my friend but they don't mention wiggling your fingers out the window with an enthusiastic "Heyyy gurrl!!" when other Jeeps pass...
would such a wave be accepted?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Ah hem . . . as the proud owner of one of the last YJ 1995 Jeep Wranglers made (I ordered it before they closed down production and brought out the newer Jeep Wrangler that has a softer, car-like suspension), I must declare that I never heard of such a tradition among Jeep owners. The only thing I did notice when I bought my YJ model was the scorn and derision that I would frequently endure from Jeep aficionados who often remarked that "Real Jeeps did not have square head lamps! Hhrrrrumph!" Well, fuck them, mine did and still does. In addition, it has been the most trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned (still has barely 150,000 miles on its poor engine and chassis). Trouble-free? A Jeep? Trust me. No one has been more surprised at this fact than me. But it's true. I've only had to replace shock absorbers once and I've had to replace the $125 (installed) windshield twice. But my plain vanilla white Jeep with a black rag top has been and continues to be a remarkable thing to own.

It has rear (and probably front) leaf suspension springs which does not mean it's the most cushy ride. In fact, when seriously four-wheeling (which is why I bought it) I refer to the activity as "going for a shake and bake."

But I've never heard of a tradition among Jeep owners to wave or pass a secret handshake. The YJ is probably the most basic vehicle ever produced since the Ford Model T. It just has more horse power (not a lot) and will dutifully crawl up, over, along the side of, and down almost any dirt road or steep pile of scree that I ask it to.

It is definitely not a vehicle built for comfort; however, the overhead speakers attached to the roll bar and multiple CD changer/FM/AM Radio unit I purchased from an after market sound equipment dealer never skips and has lots of boom boom for listening to opera out in the middle of the western deserts late at night. It also goes many places my butch friends with Hummers cannot go; narrow almost non-existent mining trails in the Snake and Antelope mountain ranges along Alternate Highway 93 in lovely, charming Nevada, for example.

I'm certain some day it will eventually break and I'll have to put it to sleep. But waving? I bought the Jeep precisely to four-wheel in the wild and woolly wilderness and get away from people, seeking that rare thing known as peace and tranquility. Who want's to wave at people in the wilderness?

Curmudgeonly yours,

Midlifebear

Last edited:

EL_Duderino

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had one years ago... At frist i thought it was stupid but eventually i was waving at all the other wranglers. its a fuck vehicle but dont just drive it on the street or u might as well just buy a 2wd suv instead. do some offroading find out what yer wrangler is really capable of. have fun :)

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

I was just wondering if anyone else owned a Jeep Wrangler or could elaborate on this tradition.......?

Thanks!

along with the owners manual you should have also gotten a copy of the official "unofficial" jeep drivers fraternity handbook, read it carefully and understand it. or your jeep will be confiscated in the middle of the night for not living up to the strict code of honor. here's a couple of often overlooked entries:

[Sect. 3:17] all new owners must wear a pink baby t with hello kitty bedazzled on the front, whenever you're driving and waving (like a queen) from your jeep.

[Sect. 3:18] the pink baby t rule MAY be discontinued only after the owner has achieved his/her first full roll-over accident {2 complete rotations in the air b4 any part of the jeep (excluding any parts/components/fluids/cargo separated from vehicle in mid-air) touches the ground again} due to making sudden J-turns dodging wildlife on the freeway when u were too busy waving (like a queen) to notice them in time.

Last edited:

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Waving used to be common amongst sports car owners.

I had an Austin Healy and an MG. Wish I had never sold them.

As an aside. A little joke I heard. "What's the definition of Male Menopause?" "A red sports car."

I'm thinking of getting one.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't worry next year they'll be calling it a Fiat Wrangler ?

Last time Fiat was in North America, the Yugo failed miserably, here's the fate of Chrysler and perhaps every vehicle subject to the latest emissions and fuel cafe standards ?

Fiat
Review: 2008 Fiat Panda 4X4 | The Truth About Cars

Cute cars they are, but 1200 cc's and 60-70 bhp ? When everyone has one of these, I'll ride a motorcycle that day ?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Don't worry next year they'll be calling it a Fiat Wrangler ?

Last time Fiat was in North America, the Yugo failed miserably, here's the fate of Chrysler and perhaps every vehicle subject to the latest emissions and fuel cafe standards ?

Fiat
Review: 2008 Fiat Panda 4X4 | The Truth About Cars

Cute cars they are, but 1200 cc's and 60-70 bhp ? When everyone has one of these, I'll ride a motorcycle that day ?

It looks like the small ugly child of a Pontiac Vibe and a Buick Rendezvous. :yuck:

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Honda Civic drivers do the same courtesy wave too. I love my 2007 coupe. It's a damn shame everyone else loved the Pacific Blue color. I see my cars' twins EVERYWHERE. At least I have sport pinstripes and a "will work for peace" bumper sticker to stand out.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's a gimmick to help make you feel more confident in your purchase.
"Now you're one of us. Inhale that rarified air." Saturn, at one time, went so far as to organise picnics for Saturn owners. I guess so they'd have an afternoon break from people asking, "What kind of car is that?"

The first instance of the vehicular kinship wave that I recall is that shared by motorcyclists. Of any brand. It was an acknowledgement of the shared experience of ducking large insects at high speeds, of having the tossed cigarette from the car ahead going up your sleeve, of leaning into the curve, of praying that the driver of the four wheeler isn't as stupid as he likely is and the knowledge that leather is more than just a fashion statement.

"Airbags? We don't need no stinking airbags!"

It's heartwarming to see this tradition shared even between the rice burner and chromed chopper set. Not sure if it's extended to moped drivers.

"What did you do to the cat?? He looks half dead"
-- Shrodinger's wife
Your signature rocks!

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Waving used to be common amongst sports car owners.

I had an Austin Healy and an MG. Wish I had never sold them.

As an aside. A little joke I heard. "What's the definition of Male Menopause?" "A red sports car."

I'm thinking of getting one.

:rolleyes:

("But it's such an angry color.")