Jerry Falwell Dies

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, May 15, 2007.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, the world is without one more Scumbag.

I say screw him into the ground and then drive a rod through him with a sign of the Devil.

2. dong20

Gold Member

Been there, done that. Being dead, I suspect he could care less what you do to him now.

3. mindseye

Gold Member

You know, generally when a homophobic activist passes, I'm able to be diplomatic about it. I recognize that there are people close to the deceased who are grieving and I can empathize for them.

As an example, when Ronald Reagan died, I felt compassion and sorrow for Patti and Ron, neither of whom shared their father's hateful beliefs, but who must have nonetheless loved him very much.

I find, though, that I'm unable to muster that sort of third-party empathy for Jerry Falwell. The world is a healthier place today.

4. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    I was definitely no fan of Falwell's beliefs, but I would also like to believe that we are more noble, as people, if we forgive.

Falwell's views about gays - i.e. "AIDS is God's punishment for homosexuality" - was just bred from ignorance during the '80s. If you recall, Reagan more or less had the same opinion until AIDS claimed people that he could recognize, like Rock Hudson. Falwell and Reagan simply had a limited understanding of the times and failed to recognize the global scope of the disease. The point for us is that their views are from yester - year, decade, century.

I don't miss his political views, but I feel sorrow for the fact that he died alone from congestive heart failure.

5. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    thats gods reward for us having to put up with him for so long I for one will not miss him one bit.

6. Freddie53

Gold Member

I don't doubt Falwell's sincerity. But I believe Falwell was sincerely wrong. I think he got better with the passing of time, while some of the other fundies just continued to get worse. I will say that about him.

I didn't know him personally, so I don't have any grieving to do. I am not going to rejoice because he died. I don't believe God had anything to do with his dying either.

But I am going to rejoice that fundamentalism is on the wane and will continue to decline. I will rejoice that I don't have to hear Falwell spewing political and religious beliefs that I disagree with vehemently.

7. eddie21218

eddie21218 New Member

One down one to go.
    Im still praying for the death of Fred Phelps.
    Thats "god hates fags" scum that pickets AIDS and out Iraqi was dead funerals.

8. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    I have to say when I heard the news I was glad to know that he died before Tammy Faye Bakker-Messner. Even though Tammy Faye always said she forgave Falwell for stealing PTL away from them, I can't help but imagine that there is some sense of relief that Falwell won't be able to do that to her son's ministry or anyone else.

I agree with Mindseye, I'd like to say I'm sorry for his grieving family, but for all the pain and misery that Falwell created over his time on this earth, I'm pretty happy we've heard the last of him.

Yes, if only Fred Phelps could succumb to something horrible, lingering and painful now.

9. Freddie53

Gold Member

Horrible - yes
    painful - yes
    lingering - Hell No

Let it be quick so we will have heard the last of him.

10. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

One of my friends is on the music staff at the church Pat Robertson attends, so I'm getting some information first hand. That whole circle is upside down right now.

I have mixed emotions about Falwell, James Kennedy (who had a massive heart attack several months ago and is not doing well), and Robertson.
    While I think that they may be good people (in person) and genuine in their views, it is not always the most loving. Yes, there is black and white on many issues, but the world today has a lot of grey areas. Jesus himself was confrontational on many things, but all his actions were done out of love. He loved us so much that He gave His life. God loved us so much that Jesus was sacrificed for us.

It's like a parent. They punish us because they love us and want the best for us.

Jesus wanted the people he met to have eternal life. He ministered among the outcasts so they could be healed, He forgave the sinners, because He loved them.

I think as a Christian we have to operate in the same way. We are to show compassion and love, because that is the outward expression of our salvation. Many of the televangelists might start off that way, but they get sidetracked due to money and other worldly things. When the focus gets off of God, people become judgemental and fall into worldy traps.

I hope that God has mercy for Falwell and these other people, because they mean well, but their Christian expression is not always like it should be.

11. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    Jerry Falwel was an awful person who helped ruin the name of Christianity. He intesified hate in our country. I have never wished ill will on others but can make an exception for this boob. He was a selfish person who grouped people behind him through hate of others. He wouldn't have liked Jesus actually...being a Jew and all...the irony is amazing. I also found his insight into children's cartoons to really expose him as a big perv. I hear in Hell Mr. Falwel is the toilet hole for the devil...and the loads are big. People feared 9/11, but really we had a terroist, unchecked, in this counrty long before.

12. nakedwally

Gold Member

Albums:
    I say people like him need lots of prayer and i pray for them all like i said in another post Jesus said Father forgive them for they know not what they do

13. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

If you can't say anything nice.....

<crickets chirping>

14. B_Christofferb

Very well said, dude.

15. gobigold

gobigold Active Member

Ding dong the bastard is dead. Now, let's speculate about his dong!

16. Freddie53

Gold Member

There is a famous prayer by St. Frrancis and part of it is this phrase
    "It is in forgiving, that we are forgiven"

We can't answer for Jerry Falwell. We do answer for ourselves.
    Forgiveness can be a trip down the road to hell sometimes.
    But in forgiving those that we even hate, we become forgiven creatures.
    It is an amazing concept.
    More truth than we sometimes want to admit.

17. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

There is already a new thread about this here. The search button can be fond at the top of the page :wink:

18. tctn123

tctn123 New Member

I don't care about his dong.

19. chicagosam

Gold Member

If Karmic Law is in effect, can you imagine what is going to be coming back at Mr. Falwell? I don't think he is going to be resting in peace.

20. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

That's the amazing part of Christianity. Things are never what they seem. Quite often, it's the action opposite of what we want to do gets the most response--sort of like the old adage "kill them with kindess."
    We are told to turn the other cheek, we are told to forgive not just 7 times, but 70 time 7. People like Ghandi, although not a Christian, expemlified Christian example. Matthew 5:43 pretty much sums it up:
    You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

Draft saved Draft deleted