Jesus isnt the Messiah

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The question is WHY . Thats why i put it in capital letters.

Why, what? :confused: Why do people believe in the virgin birth? Why is the sky blue? Why is it we can put a man on the moon, a robot on Mars, yet we can't figure out a way to stop world hunger and homelessness?

Just asking "Why?" is not a sufficient attempt at asking a question? No wonder you didn't get any answers! :tongue:

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good. I am happy that we have that settled. :wink:

Now tallbig, this is an excellent post...and I can tell you in all honesty, that if you had presented your post in this fashion (by either posting the information and supplying the link), to then say that you are in agreement with this train of thought, to supply your reasons why (if you wanted to) and to then ask for other members' comments, I for one would not have taken the slightest offence. However, I realise that English isn't your first language and accept that this is how I found your presentation to be offensive.

In response to this, the only way that I can try to explain why there is this train of thought while Christians believe the opposite is because (and I will use an analogy):

If five people were to watch a movie, when all five of them leaves the cinema, each person will have read into the movie differently; found a different message; and different parts of the movie would stand out to them individually. Now, we know that the first Christians were Jews as well, so right at the beginning it was a case of some Jews believing that Jesus was the Messiah while others didn't. Which is why I told you that neither side can conclusively prove that they are right while the other side is wrong...hence my saying that a lot hinges on faith.

tallbig, I don't think that it's a case of people being openminded...a lot had to do with your presentation (we've discussed it already) and the feeling that each week it's going to be a case of "bash Christianity". Yes, there have been strong reactions, but what you need to realise is that we've gotten some very hard knocks on these boards...as in direct attacks...as in "All Christians ought to be taken to the woods and shot" at first we just accepted it and let it slide, but eventually we can't any longer.

If I were to make a post saying "All queers are AIDS fuckers" (and it's an example...not a statement...after all I'm also queer :wink:) then you'd really see flame throwing take place. The reason for it would be because all of the attacks breeds hurt. Same with this situation. Do you understand what I'm trying to say?

I hope that my response to this statement of yours brings you some sense of consolation:

I'm not sure if your questions directed to priests/pastors were about life or religion...either way there really are some things that aren't tangible...they can't be touched or felt and it's difficult to explain. What I do know is that there is a change in approach (a slight change and not in all areas which is a pity) - I know from experience within the Catholic Church - where there's a hesitancy to interfere with one's search for questions pertaining to life...it's up to that individual to formulate their own answers. So there's an approach of either, "You need to discover the answers for yourself" or "Are you asking me as Fr. .......... or as Henry/Peter/John etc?)

Be thankful that they didn't try to force their trains of thought down their throats because it would have robbed you of your own truth/reality. You have the right to draw your own conclusions and steer your life accordingly. Regardless of whether their approach to not supplying you with information was intentional or came from ignorance or their own lack of information, it has served as a platform to search. I firmly belief that times of doubt are the moments of our true strength because those are the times when we stop sitting back and taking things for granted; we are forced to get off our bums and do a bit of homework...and through doing so, we are really in a state of living.

Best of luck with your search! :wink:

Yeah is a hard work . The more we asked for answers to life questions the more we realized how much we got to learn. Thanks for your reply.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why, what? :confused: Why do people believe in the virgin birth? Why is the sky blue? Why is it we can put a man on the moon, a robot on Mars, yet we can't figure out a way to stop world hunger and homelessness?

Just asking "Why?" is not a sufficient attempt at asking a question? No wonder you didn't get any answers! :tongue:

Why is the basic question . there are many whys about life .

What are those questions that i make that according to you dont make sense?

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think what people are saying is if you want to have these discussions...talk to a rabbi or a priest, get some proper answers

You think they give "proper answers"!?!?!

That's like asking Bush for the reasons for going to war in Iraq! One word: bias.

Obviously a lot of people are getting upset about this and don't want to have their beliefs questioned.

I would like to know what believers in God think about the thousands, perhaps even millions, of other gods there have been since prehistoric times that have been proven or at least accepted to be made up?

And I would then like to ask if they know what probability is. Let's say the chance of god existing is 1/1,000,000 - that is a million-to-one.

Add to that the fact that supposed 'facts' in the bible have been proven to be false, the veracity of the bible as historical fact is questionable. By association, so is the existence of God, which is a pretty fantastical story anyway, like a lot of religious/supernatural fables are.

My guess is the answer will be 'you cannot possibly know something as high and mighty as God, its a matter of faith'.

Well actually I think its a matter of deduction; an educated guess. I think it is very strong evidence that there have already been millions of gods that don't exist and were imagined only to give answers to the unknown and comfort to the afraid. Why would God suddenly be any different?

Then you have the elements of falsehood in the bible. So I am led to believe that the bible is nothing but a popular fairytale. It should only be believed as much as you would believe the fairytales of Jack And The Beanstalk or Snow White

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That's like asking Bush for the reasons for going to war in Iraq! One word: bias.

Obviously a lot of people are getting upset about this and don't want to have their beliefs questioned.

I would like to know what believers in God think about the thousands, perhaps even millions, of other gods there have been since prehistoric times that have been proven or at least accepted to be made up?

And I would then like to ask if they know what probability is. Let's say the chance of god existing is 1/1,000,000 - that is a million-to-one.

Add to that the fact that supposed 'facts' in the bible have been proven to be false, the veracity of the bible as historical fact is questionable. By association, so is the existence of God, which is a pretty fantastical story anyway, like a lot of religious/supernatural fables are.

My guess is the answer will be 'you cannot possibly know something as high and mighty as God, its a matter of faith'.

Well actually I think its a matter of deduction; an educated guess. I think it is very strong evidence that there have already been millions of gods that don't exist and were imagined only to give answers to the unknown and comfort to the afraid. Why would God suddenly be any different?

Then you have the elements of falsehood in the bible. So I am led to believe that the bible is nothing but a popular fairytale. It should only be believed as much as you would believe the fairytales of Jack And The Beanstalk or Snow White
I agree. Those priests and ministers answer me nonsense or they give me evasive answers. Most people think or asume that this religious clerks have so much knowledge about life but they dont.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I said I was staying out of this and yet I find myself having to answer your post SLB because your arguments are so naive I just can't leave them hanging out there like the exposed flesh they are without pecking - however - I will attempt to reply responsibly and with as little bias as possible.

I think what northwestone meant was theologians with a detailed knowledge of the religions and doctrines in question. Believe it or not some of the most non-biased (and yet still persuasive) arguments I have heard have been from rabis, priests, vicars, monks, nuns, shamen, etc. - in other words those that take their faith and the religion to which they subscribe seriously and have a good grounding in academic theology.

God takes the form that people need Him to. In prehistoric times people had much simpler lives and simpler thought processes - so gods were expressed more literally. Many peoples (completely independantly) worshipped the sun and moon, for obvious reasons - you can't say those have been proven to be made up - we just know an awful lot more about astronomy and the physical make up of these things. People chose those things to embody the concept of a 'greater power'. As humans evolved their societies and cultures so the 'greater power' evolved with them.

I have no idea where you are getting that, or even what you mean by it. How can you possibly work out the possibility of the existence of something that is not proveable one way or the other. God either exists or He doesn't - probability doesn't enter into it.

The idea, to a person living 5000BC, for example, that the Earth was a ball of rock and sundry other matter floating in an essentially infinite universe, rotating round the sun, with a satelite moon would be inconceivabley fantastical - and yet we now know it to be fact. Who is to say what we will know is fact and what we wil believe is fantastical in another 7000 years.

We don't understand all the forces of the universe. God is the name for one of those forces we do not understand - it always has been. The difference, I suppose, between Faith and Faithless is putting a persona on that force some chose to call God and choosing to believe the interpretation of certain events.

That is your interpretation. I believe all of the gods that existed before were the same God, as indeed is Allah, God, Jehova - I have explained that above. I think you are confusing the belief that certain natural things were supernatural before the science of them was understood. The movement of celestial bodies being one of the most obvious examples. Prehaps, at some point, the science of miracles will become apparent. That still won't prove the non-existance of God, however. People often forget that the men (and it has been predominantly men) who claimed to represent God in the time of Copernicus, for example, were products of their time and based their Faith and understanding of natural versus supernatural on the flawed scientific understanding of the time. Carrying on that example, when Copernicus's theories were brought before them they felt their authority challenged and naturally chose to disbelieve Copernicus because it was easier to stick with the 'established' - that is human nature. Don't get confused between Religion and Faith, or even between Religion and God. they are not one and the same.

There is a difference between falsehood and allegory. The Old Testament can be said to be allegorical in a large part - it is a tradition of stories to exemplify notions. The New Testament has elements of that as well and the proof of a two thousand year old story, muddied by time and the constant interpretation of so many human minds is just not possible.

My main point is, I suppose, just because you cannot prove that something does exist does not mean that it does not.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is the basic question . there are many whys about life .

What are those questions that i make that according to you dont make sense?

The only thread that i ask a question about Christianity is Jesus really die on the cross ? thread.

From your point of view that question is nonsense. But many versions and possibilities about the life of Jesus exists. According to Koran for example Jesus wasnt crucified. That is the reason of why the muslims dont believe in Jesus cruxifiction. Jesus could survived the cruxifiction too because he was a short time on the cross only about 3 hours .

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The statistic was:

There is one God out of the millions of gods who have and still do exist that is supposedly real. 1/1,000,000 (at least)

My point is that just because something cannot be proven doesn't mean that you should accept it as being true.

Even you are twisting it and saying God isn't the God in the bible, that he's suddenly a subjective entity that is whatever you want him to be. That's convenient.

We can't prove that any of the Greek or Roman or any other gods exist either. Anyone with a brain knows they were made up.

You are just saying you believe anyway even though the odds of god existing are at least a million to one and that many other gods before and since are known to be imagined. Even though the bible, which MANY people take as fact is wrong about many things. That's naive.

I can't prove the non-existence of the tooth fairy or Father Christmas. But its unlikely there's a fairy who takes your teeth from under your pillow. And its impossible to deliver presents to billions of houses in only one night.

So the likelihood of them existing is low. Or do you believe in God, the tooth fairy and Father Christmas too?

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The statistic was:

There is one God out of the millions of gods who have and still do exist that is supposedly real. 1/1,000,000 (at least)

My point is that just because something cannot be proven doesn't mean that you should accept it as being true.

Even you are twisting it and saying God isn't the God in the bible, that he's suddenly a subjective entity that is whatever you want him to be. That's convenient.

We can't prove that any of the Greek or Roman or any other gods exist either. Anyone with a brain knows they were made up.

You are just saying you believe anyway even though the odds of god existing are at least a million to one and that many other gods before and since are known to be imagined. Even though the bible, which MANY people take as fact is wrong about many things. That's naive.

I can't prove the non-existence of the tooth fairy or Father Christmas. But its unlikely there's a fairy who takes your teeth from under your pillow. And its impossible to deliver presents to billions of houses in only one night.

So the likelihood of them existing is low. Or do you believe in God, the tooth fairy and Father Christmas too?

I understand your point but is useless to argue that with believers . When people decided to believe in something they will believe in that regardless of what anyone says. Even if you prove that god doesnt exist most of those people will believe in it anyways. Iam still waiting to anyone to invalid the reasons of why the jews dont believe in jesus that i listed yesterday.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The statistic was:

Dude - it is pointless arguing against you because you are not discussing - you are stating. I was not attempting to twist anything - I was attempting to bring the discussion to a different level. Trying to arguing anthropologically (seeing as you brought it up) rather than as a Christian.

I'll try to distill the point for you. God needs man as much as man needs God which is why man's interpretation of God changes as society evolves. This does not mean that God vanishes in a puff of logic (to steal from Douglas Adams) - it means that we (humans) view God through our understanding of the universe. Herne, Zeus, Bachus, Aphrodite, Crom-Cruach, Odin - all fractured aspects of the 'Deity'. They have not been proven to have been made up - they have been redefined. That is all.

And I can prove the non-existence of Father Christmas and the tooth fairy because it is ME. I'm the one who puts the money under the pillow and the presents under the tree.

Your argument is flawed and your stance, in general, is one of misplaced superiority. I'm off to lurk again until such point as someone else's ignorance and/or attitude baits me out of my self-imposed exile again.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All gods are not fragmented versions of the same god. They are totally different. What evidence is there to say that Odin or Posiedon and Emuman are essentially the same being?

My point was God is about as believable as the tooth fairy and FC. And how do you know everyone else isn't being visited by the tooth fairy and Father Christmas - because you know how ridiculous it sounds!

God does not need man. God doesn't exist. Man needs God because man is scared his existence will end.

This is my last post. More than a million to one odds against him and the bible's many falsities do not make me a believer.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
And again this last round of posts supports my theory on why faith should not be so openly discussed and kept a personal thing. Very few people are capable of seeing the other sides arguments.

I try and have to a point succeeded in tallbig's Did Jesus die on the cross thread.

Like I said, agree to disagree before this gets any uglier.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All gods are not fragmented versions of the same god. They are totally different. What evidence is there to say that Odin or Posiedon and Emuman are essentially the same being?

My point was God is about as believable as the tooth fairy and FC. And how do you know everyone else isn't being visited by the tooth fairy and Father Christmas - because you know how ridiculous it sounds!

God does not need man. God doesn't exist. Man needs God because man is scared his existence will end.

This is my last post. More than a million to one odds against him and the bible's many falsities do not make me a believer.

Man not stop posting . What is happening here is very normal. Most religious people turn defensive and aggresive when someone suggest the possibility of being wrong.

B_tallbig

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And again this last round of posts supports my theory on why faith should not be so openly discussed and kept a personal thing. Very few people are capable of seeing the other sides arguments.

I try and have to a point succeeded in tallbig's Did Jesus die on the cross thread.

Like I said, agree to disagree before this gets any uglier.

Yep i learn my lesson ( i will not create more religious threads.)

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
where, when did the Jews become solely 100% right on everything?? all religion is based on a few beliefs that can't be proven. Jews feel guilty because they killed Christ. The Christians feel guilty because they allowed the Jews to do it. Btw, I was rasied Catholic( the 2nd most guilty religion except for the Jews) but strayed away in my teens. I believe in God. I just don't believe in organized religions and their absolutes. The religious fanatics are why the world is in a fucking mess. The fanatics believe their way is THE way, and fuck everybody else. There is no leeway, no give and take. And what are their beliefs based on??? actual facts??? No, just their viewpoint. I could go on and write pages, but I got other things to do. God only helps those that help themselves. Praying is a good thing, but getting up off your ass and doing something is where it's at. Also, have respect for other people's beliefs. RESPECT.....that is a word to base a religion on. who knows whose right, whose wrong??? me??? you??? enough
In my view, I think you are totally right on. It's ironic but it seems that people's believe in God will rip humanity to pieces in time. We could all learn so much from each other and gain respect for each other if it wasn't for all organized religion and the misguided zealots who force it on all of us. You have to remember that these people are human just like us and don't really know anymore about who or what God may be than you or I. How could they? Anywho, let's talk about sex or do some good Bush bashing. LOL

BigDuder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He does indeed!:cool:

:rolleyes: What tact?

I like to believe God is a better guitar player than Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton rolled into one. :smile:

yeah, but that is because jews take all the money.[/quote] Where the fuck did that statement come from? :mad: I'll have you know not all Jews are good with money I know 2 who have had to claim bankruptcy.:confused:

my comment was just an attempt at ironic racism.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I disagree with this sentiment simply because, I don't believe in a God because I'm scared of death. There are many things incomprehensible in life. Many strange coincidences. And then the origin of all that is. Science explains how things happen and the flow of things, but never could explain to me why.

Infinite loops hardly explain what put the loop in motion.

Life and all its intricacies seem to be too delicate and "perfect" for it to have just happened because it did. That is the line where science does not make sense anymore and logic begins to fail. At that point is where I believe in something greater than myself.

That being said...why does it matter if people believe Jesus to be the Messiah. Especially if you don't believe in him being it. Does that affect your day to day life? Well, if those same people are attempting to bowl you over with religion, then yes...they are affecting you. But not everyone who believes in God acts so "religious" and to clump the whole group together is simply as preposterous as me believing that all White people pay membership fees to the KKK. Just as a friend of mine being gay doesn't affect my life, someone being a Christian (and you not being one) shouldn't affect your own.

As one who feels it is not right for another to take it upon his or herself to go around and gay bash simply because one is straight, why should one feel compelled to ostracize another who claims Christianity simply because they are Atheist?

That is illogical, to me. And you telling a Christian that they believe in the Tooth Fairy is like me walking up to a gay person and saying, "You need to just find a woman, because having sex with the same sex doesn't produce babies." Does it matter? They like what they like and people believe what they believe. So let them...does a Christian believing in Jesus as the messiah affect your happiness? If not, then why bother.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I disagree with this sentiment simply because, I don't believe in a God because I'm scared of death. There are many things incomprehensible in life. Many strange coincidences. And then the origin of all that is. Science explains how things happen and the flow of things, but never could explain to me why.

Infinite loops hardly explain what put the loop in motion.

Life and all its intricacies seem to be too delicate and "perfect" for it to have just happened because it did. That is the line where science does not make sense anymore and logic begins to fail. At that point is where I believe in something greater than myself.

That was probably the nicest and least offending post to this thread yet. I also like your definition. My mom was an atheist, but believed in a force or higher power. She just refused to call it "God".

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
My mother was an atheist, too. She's a preacher now, though. I don't identify with any religion at the moment. I was raised a Christian and I don't denounce the existence of a God. But organized religion places a bad taste in my mouth.