Jesus...Whitney Houston

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

man...i have to say, i was never a fan, as her music was just not my thing, but in her prime, her voice, i have to say, was undeniably rather incredible.

Obivously the ravages of addiction have destroyed it, and i found this concert footage from a couple of days ago in Brisbane, to be rather sad.

YouTube - Whitney Houston - I will always love you live in Brisbane 2010

how can anyone be so "past it", and out there on stage and just not see it? Obviously she was a talented singer who is now out there to try and rekindle some of the magic, but with her primary draw destroyed (her voice), can she even see that what she is doing is embarassing to her? does someone not tell her?

i understand she may need the money, or maybe just misses the attention, but a combination of public humiliation as well as total dissatisfaction by her paying fans and customers, should really cause her to consider bowing out with some grace and what little dignity she still has intact.

It is really kind of sad, when a "diva" has lost what was the reason for that status in the first place...even more so, because there are still other, older women who are still belting them out perfectly, like Tina Turner did in her comeback and for ages since....or Streisand (even if she annoys me) and other women.

what do you say? anyone a fan of hers and find it painful or sad etc.

2. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Wow. That's painful to watch and listen to. I've never liked her, but now I feel sad for her. I have to admire her chutzpah for going on with the show, but maybe she could get some coaching to get her voice back before she tries to go out on tour again. Jeez, does she even know where she is?

3. naughty

Gold Member

I dont think she has ever gotten over Bobby Brown leaving her. WHat a tragedy. Her mother father and CLive tried to save her from herself but she wouldnt listen... Poor baby.

4. Flashy

Gold Member

i think you are right, HB...but at least *DOES* know where she is (thankfully) she says something like "Thank you Brisbane" at the end...unfortunately, apparently she was utterly terrible the night before in Sydney too, and people were streaming for the exits...

i am no vocal coach, but i am pretty sure that with even an incredible voice, once it is ruined and gone, it does not come back (from my limited knowledge)

look at someone like Robert Plant (my favorite lead singer of the greatest band ever)...his voice when he was young had incredible vocal range...but years of overtouring and cigarette smoking ruined it...it still sounds like honey in the lower octaves, and he still can keep the melody with no problems, but a whole scale of higher notes is out of the question (though credit to ole RP, he still kicks ass)

this was the video from the other Brisbane show, i think from the night or two before

YouTube - Whitney Houston Angers Fans

5. Flashy

Gold Member

yeah...but they weren't exactly good for each other, sadly.

they shared a taste for self-destruction and delusion...

i remember after Bobby Brown had let himself go for a few years, Chris Rock, or someone was making fun of the fact that Whitney said something overly praiseworthy of Bobby...so Rock said "Can you believe this...Whitney Houston said that 'bobby brown is the king of R n' B...the king of R n' B? yeah...Ribs and barbecue"

very sad for her though....she has become a sad tale...i seriously hope she has some money left, because she made a fortune in her prime...and that way she can at least live out her days, with a semblance of dignity without having to go on stage like this and humiliate herself.

6. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

My voice coach told me that "even Robert Plant can't sing like Robert Plant any more." That said, she's helped me to regain a lot of what I've 'lost' in the last 30 years.

Whitney, although she may never reach those dog-whistle notes she used to be able to get, could benefit from some coaching. She started out extravagantly talented, and talent never goes away. She could stand some work on her mechanics because her days of getting through on horsepower alone are probably over.

RP does still kick ass, because he has a gift for making the most of what he can do, and a well-developed instinct for what sounds good.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

very true...glad you are an RP fan...he is just fantastic...even after he left LZ, he did what very few lead singers have been able to do: carve out a very successful solo career, that conveyed passion, depth, versatility and the desire to explore new realms.

from his first initial steps in the 80s, up through his recent colaboration with Alison Krauss, he has never failed to impress me.

as i said, his voice is really like honey down in the lower octaves (am i categorizing that right? my knowledge of musice from when i was younger has receded so i am not sure if i am describing it correctly)

i have always said, if had one chance to impress and seduce my "dream woman", and i had to borrow a voice to sing her one song that would make or break her love for me, i would choose RP's voice to serenade her with.

i really love his stuff...always have.

his singing on Sea of Love with the Honeydrippers totally outstripped the original Sea of Love, and his recent forays have been no less impressive...his recent tunes like "All the Kings Horses" as well as his album with Krauss have only recemented his status.

simply awesome

8. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, it's sad that she's been so ravaged by Bobby Brown, Bobby Brown's addiction to crack cocaine, Bobby Brown's massive abuse (physical, emotional, verbal, etc.) of her, Bobby Brown's turning her onto crack cocaine and her subsequent abuse/addiction re same, etc., etc.

It's definitely sad.

It makes me want to cry a bit when I think of how innocent she seemed way back when, and how wonderful her voice was.

Why this thread, then? I mean, honestly? Shall I go trolling for all the lost greatness in the entertainment world? Or, rather, go trolling for the particular bits of the lost greatness in the entertainment world that somehow induces me in my infinite wisdom to post and highlight same on the www?

Nevermind. That's already being taking care of.

Fuck.

Again.

9. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    ................ :cool:

Prediction for future threads ("in a forum near you"):
    "The Year's Greatest Disappointment - Obama, Tiger, or Whitney?"

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

She still sounds better than a great majority of people singing on radio right now. Which may be more of a tell on the current state of music, rather than how much Whitney doesn't sound like she used to nearly 20 years ago.

11. Flashy

Gold Member

true...but that makes it even more disconcerting :wink:

12. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

That's why I listen to techno.
    It's all noise... but at least when it goes off key it's intentional. :biggrin1:

BTW... Lisa Shaw, Julie McKnight & Dawn Tallman. You want good vocalists who should be heard more, check these voices out!

13. D_Portelay Porquesword

She can still sing to some degree but not as before and not ever again.

A few shows I have seen her on, the performances were embarrassing. The drugs have definitely blown her voice out. The once outstanding range is gone.

For what ever reason, these situations, IMO can only be viewed with compassion.

We all make mistakes.

14. Flashy

Gold Member

i'll give them a listen...

but if i want someone going offkey, i'll listen to something cool, like DJ Quik, who intends to be offkey...and at least sings about crack as opposed to smoking it. :biggrin1:

15. sargon20

Gold Member

A good analysis of what happened to 'The Voice'..........it was much more than drugs........

http://www.aapproach.com/what-happened-to-whitney-houstons-voice-a-vocal-coachs-analysis
    /

One thing is certainly true
    .....'Many refer to her simply as “The Voice”, and rightly so. At her peak, Whitney Houston’s tone was the perfect combination of richness, intensity, and brilliance. Her range – powerful, wide, and seemingly effortless.

#15 sargon20, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  16. RandomLust

RandomLust New Member

My sense of Whitney Houston was always that she was just another high-powered voice in pop culture. Yes she could sing. But in that same Mariah Carey-esque way of pop music neither reaches inside to expose anything of their content. I know many people prefer that sort of thing. But give me a Cyndi Lauper or a Madonna (when she's being introspective) any day over these acrobatic chanteuses.

It smacks of American Idol. :rolleyes:

17. thirteenbyseven

Gold Member

That was a very good analysis. Whitney Houston is not an old singer at 46, but her vocal instrument may be permanently damaged at this point. As fans, our collective minds still have that frozen-in-time YouTube version of The Greatest love of All seared into us and it's sad that the 2010 version of Whitney Houston cannot replicate that sound.

Other pop singers have had the same problem. Michael Bolton used to scream at the top of his lungs until his voice was left hoarse and raspy. He never had any true power in the Franco Corelli or Mario del Monaco operatic sense, but still insisted at using his tiny voice to try and belt out When a Man Loves a Woman for the 99% female audience that purchased his records- now look what's left. If you seek torture look-up his versions of Che Gelida Manina or the version of Nessun Dorma which uses nuclear-powered studio amplification to bring out the high B natural.

On the other hand if any singer used a weak raspy voice to his advantage it had to be Rod Stewart. Could any fan listen to a Rod Stewart song like Forever Young without hearing his distinctive raspy sound?

18. catman

Gold Member

I think the lady that said "$165 wasted..." said it all...

if she were on a lounge circuit tour maybe...but to be touting her in her former glory? I too when have been very upset...the first clip she was frighteningly clammy looking...and sweaty....and that once multi octave voice....

maybe if she needs the $$ this badly she could do a couple of endorsement deals on late nite t.v.?? but please let us keep our wonderful, long ago memories...this was...painful.

19. D_Portelay Porquesword

Good article.

Thanks for that Sargon

20. B_curiousme01

B_curiousme01 New Member

She's down, but not out. She is a fantastic actress and could work if she chose to. Maybe she just feels the need to tour right now. To ground herself so to speak. I cannot imagine the huge challenge it would be to go on the road after so many years of abuse and self neglect. Especially if you are a Superstar Diva. As always, I'm keeping the faith. I pray she has good people around her and a very strone management team. GO WHITNEY! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted