Jewish symbolism

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by arktrucker, May 24, 2009.

1. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    I watched Schindlers List for the first time last night and I've got a couple of questions for our Jewish friends here on the board.

1) What is the significance for the little square box looking thing that it tied around the mans head while praying? I've seen that more than one time and it's always made me wonder.

2) At the end of the movie when the 'Schindler Jews' were walking in the grave yard, they put rocks on top of Schindlers grave/headstone. I'm not sure about that one either.

Thanks for the information!

2. CookieMonster12

CookieMonster12 New Member

the thing on the head is a tfillin and is used when praying, and jews dont put flowers on gravestones, instead we put pebbles

3. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Intresting to know for sure!

4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I thought Schindler's List was a great movie - really good book too.

Still beggars belief what happened in the war.

5. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I've been thinking about this all afternoon, and could not really come up with a reply that made sense ...this sums it up!

Pebbles

6. Principessa

Gold Member

What does that mean? Beggars belief? Are you saying the book and movie were good but you don't believe the Holocaust happened? :yikes: :irked:
    This is what I had always been told.

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

PS It's cheaper to gather pebbles than buy flowers!

8. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

My guess is that it begs belief or is unbelievable (unimaginable) what happened.

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    No. Sorry - it must be a uniquely British expression. I just meant that the horrors and atrocities perpetrated by the 3rd Reich were so awful and on such a scale that it renders it almost incomprehensible.

The book and film were good - but probably don't come close to describing the true horror of what happened.

I've been interested/horrified for quite a while by the Holocaust - and can hardly get my head around what happened, and what it must've been like. The only conclusion I can come to, is that if a group of people succeeds in demonising (wrongly) another group of people to such an extent - then others can be whipped up and led to commit crimes of terrible brutality. If people are taught for long enough that others are evil, a threat, and responsible for all sorts of imagined slights - then presumably that's how people can allow things to get so bad. However - people still allowed themselves to go along with stuff they must have known was terribly wrong.

Haven't explained it very well - but that's how I feel about it anyway.

PS: Mem - think you understood what I was trying to say - thanks. :)

#9 Joll, May 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2009
  10. arktrucker

Gold Member

Albums:
    Like I said when I posted it had been the first time I'd seen the movie. One of the most striking things for me along with many more were the ashes falling. How people noticed that it wasn't snow even though it was winter. Very scary.
    Thanks for all the information guys, its been a good learning experience to hear it from others rather than just read the definition.

11. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    arktrucker - yeh the ashes falling was really poignant. Also, I thought the bit with the little girl in the red coat was really sad. You see her hiding, and then later you see her body being moved away - still in the red coat. :( I was absolutely gutted.

Actually - I don't think the bit about the girl dying is in the book. She hides but you don't find out what happens to her.

Also (according to some background reading I did) - the reasons Jewish communities were in Poland in the first place was because they fled there in the Middle Ages after they'd been blamed for starting the Plague. People believed (stupidly) that the plague was caused by Jewish people poisoning the water supply. So they were there to escape from another time when they'd been falsely accused. :(

#11 Joll, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted