Jim Lehrer is leaving the News Hour

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Calboner, May 12, 2011.

1. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't know how many people on this site get their news from The News Hour on PBS, or even know of it, but, as it is the only television program that I watch regularly, this news has some impact on me:

Jim Lehrer Stepping Down From Regular Anchor Role on PBS NewsHour | The Rundown News Blog | PBS NewsHour | PBS
    This is welcome news to me. The Friday conversations with Shields and Brooks seem to me the only on-screen capacity in which Lehrer operates with distinction. I do not know what contribution he makes to the show off-screen, but his always vague and fumbling manner of speech has always seemed to me one of the worst weaknesses of the program. He never struck me as being very bright, but I estimated him as positively dim after I saw him ask an interviewee who had used the word "bicameral" in describing a certain country's legislature, "Now by bicameral, you mean that there are two political parties?" (Yes, I know ignorance is not the same as lack of intelligence, but how bright can you be if you anchor a nation-wide news program for decades without learning that "bicameral" means "having two chambers," not "having two parties"?)

2. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    I was a regular watcher of the show when it he shared it with McNeil. I agree that Jim Lehrer's delivery was a bit vague and disjointed. I don't mind 'dry' in a newscaster, but his monotone bored me. My father commented last Christmas that Jim Lehrer was the reason so few people watched what is really a good news show. It maybe a good thing to breathe some life into the show, increase the audience and thereby the awareness of current events by the American public.

I'm surprised by him not knowing what "bicameral" meant. That is eighth grade civics class stuff. (I don't know if it still is actually. It was when Lehrer was a kid.)

#2 vince, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. midlifebear

Gold Member

The News Hour will survive. There was a great period (as in years) of mourning when McNeil left to pursue his new career as a playwright and writer. In them thar days it was the "McNeil Lehrer News Hour." It is yet another passing of the last of a news team, for any of you who remember the Huntly/Brinkley Report that began as a 15-minute reprieve at 5:00 PM to compete with Mr. "And that's the way it is," who left us with a comfortable and warm sense that the the world was bad, but there was still hope. Ya don't get that anymore -- from anyone.

4. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    The show was The McNeil—Lehrer News Hour when I began watching it--I think that was in the '90s. Of course, one can't tell from watching the show what role Lehrer has had in the shaping of its content, so I don't want to deny him credit on that count. But I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who found him to be a very poor speaker. I was surprised when I learned that he was the author of the novel on which the movie Viva Max! was based, but it turns out that he has published, at least according to the article on him at Wikipedia, some 20 novels.

Draft saved Draft deleted