Jiu Jitsu / Jujutsu / MMA

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by faceking, Jul 28, 2010.

1. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Anyone here practice... curious. I searched and didn't see it in a few pages of results.

Gracie here. With a couple Kung Fu styles of yore... have to say I love it. Unlike .... "other" arts that allow you top rank yet NEVER being contested.

2. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    yes I do

and more people will know it by the name BJJ (Brazilian Jui Jitsu)

3. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    how long?

4. TheRob

Gold Member

Albums:
    it sort of depends honestly
    are you talking about Martial Arts in general or specificly Grappling like BJJ

5. Mr_Bulldog

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Been doing marital arts for about 12 years but only been doing Bjj for little over 2 I love it though just had a tourney yesterday and took second in my division

6. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not a Bjj practitioner, but I've been boxing for 15 years, and just got into Sambo two years ago.

7. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Where is the kung fu in Jiu Jitsu? Kung Fu is all about the development of internal chi and perfectly performing the forms and various attack, defensive and kicking sets. Kung Fu also has a shitload of weapons training too.

I never ever rolled around the floor with one of my classmates trying to choke the shit out of him when I took Kung Fu. Kung Fu is a beautiful and ancient martial art that has survived for thousands of years. It contains the wisdom and knowledge of some of the greatest minds of China. Jiu Jitsu is a bullshit art of choking that was invented in the 20th century and is meant to inflict the greatest amount of pain and discomfort on your opponent.

Judo is a joke compared to Kung Fu. Kung Fu can lead one to practice Buddhism and eventually attain enlightenment... Judo leads to the submission of your opponent. Judo scores a zero in self discovery and expanding one's awareness of himself and his surroundings.

Yes, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu has more in common with Judo than actual Japanese Jiu Jitsu.

Kung Fu arises out of Buddhism and Taoism, Judo arised out of Shinto. There is no comparison between Shinto and Buddhism.

8. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Calling any marital art "bullshit" or a joke, just because it doesn't lead to "spiritual enlightenment", is very closed minded and quite ignorant.

Some arts are there to bring some sort of enlightenment to the practitioner, others are there to inflict as much damage as quickly and humanly possible.

Different strokes for different folks, there is no "greatest" martial art.

9. iian1972

iian1972 Active Member

Albums:
    Tripod I did Jujutsu for many years and your comments show you have no idea what you are talking about, its all about using the other persons aggression to defend yourself.

And if you would like to learn more about it, as it was not born in the 20th Century read this.

Jujutsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#9 iian1972, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  10. ShowOff

ShowOff Member

I have to agree with you Remington, I would never disgrace my discipline of choice by comparing it to any others.

The only bullshit here is the fact that tripod has any inner knowledge of a martial art outside of physical violence.

11. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Isshin Run Karate here. Really have no interest in a bastardized style that incorporates more aggressive tactics than necessary. I personally know a few Japanese practitioners of original non Gracie style jiu jitsu and their feeling is that it has been perverted.
    As Tripod mentioned, the spiritual side of it has been greatly diminished over the yrs.

Bottom line and my own opinion, take it or leave, tho it may represent some effectiveness, it still negates the concept of a martial art.

12. iian1972

iian1972 Active Member

Albums:
    I believe these day it depends very much on the person that is teaching you, my tutor taught us through book and the physical side, not just kicking punch bags and throwing each other around. Unfortunately like most things in life some people see a profit and have to glam it up and ruin the original aspects.

13. ShowOff

ShowOff Member

Sweep the leg!

14. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I take umbrage with the word "art" when it comes to the crap I see on UFC.

There is no art in inflicting as much damage as possible in the shortest amount of time. It's merely a mechanical action with no "art" to it.

Ummm... did you practice Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Japanese Jiu Jitsu? There is a big difference. You most likely studied Brazilian Jiu Jitsu which is what we are talking about. If you don't understand the difference between Japanese Jiu Jitsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, then you my friend are the one who doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. You thought you would show me a link for Japanese Jiu Jitsu and that would shut me up? Are you fucking kidding me?

Most modern martial "arts" are just watered down versions of the mother system of Kung Fu. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is trendy like American Idol is trendy. It's a disgusting fighting system with absolutely no beauty and about as much artistic integrity as American Idol.

In order for art to be art, it has to have "artistic integrity", of which BJJ has none.

In order for integrity to be present, you have to be honest. There is no honesty in a fighting system that claims to be an art when they are really just inflicting pain and suffering on themselves and others.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a fighting system, not a martial art. In fact, let me not just isolate BJJ from most of the other fighting systems that call themselves a martial art. Most of them lack the integrity to be considered an actual "art".

I just don't like the term art as you can see already... Kung Fu has integrity and can always be considered an art. Much of Kung Fu is about avoiding violence and hardly any of the present fighting systems can attest to that same moral high ground. Again... even more integrity.

Actually, physical violence is the only thing that BJJ is concerned with. The only thing that BJJ contains is pain and submission. It's disgusting and you could do more with the time that you spend practicing it.

Show me the internal BJJ and it's beauty and then you'd have something.

I just don't agree with the word "art" being thrown around when referring to every other system of fighting that is out there. Kung Fu isn't about fighting or violence, it's about self mastery and discovery.

15. Mr_Bulldog

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Tripod you show true ignorance. Who says Jiu Jitsu is all about pain and destruction? I use it as a means of strengthening my body, increasing my flexibility and finding myself spiritually. A person doesn't have to be limited to your Gung Fu in order to find their spiritual center.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu like EVERY martial art is an ART playing upon leverage anticipating movements and setting up counters before it even happens makes it much like a chess match you seem too dim to spot that though.

16. iian1972

iian1972 Active Member

Albums:
    I see you have found your beauty and inner piece Tripod...Are you fucking kidding me?

17. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    #17 Remington, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  18. iian1972

iian1972 Active Member

Albums:
    Bulldog and Remington... with you all the way.

Its late and time for bed. Dont get yourself to pumped up Tripod it may explode.

19. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Join a gym if you need to strengthen your body... one does not need to practice BJJ to strengthen the body. If you want to be flexible, practice yoga...

and do tell me the methods for which BJJ offers up an opportunity to find yourself spiritually. This should be good. :tongue:

The use of the body as a lever does not equal art. Chess is a game, not an art. Try again.

Ha! You've got me there... many of the fighting styles that you mentioned have a great amount of artistic integrity. You can leave Aikido, Muay Thai, Judo and Eskrima out of that list though.

Ke(n)po is just the term with which the Japanese people use to identify "Chinese martial arts". It's the Japanese equivalent word for Kung Fu.

I was just trying to illuminate the concept of a martial "art" versus a fighting "style". In my mind, there is a difference, but I'd largely agree with your statement above since different stuff works for different people. Mr. Bulldog may actually be experiencing some sort of personal development and or spiritual enlightenment by practicing BJJ, if it works for him, it's all good. :smile:

The concept that I want the readers of this thread to wrap their minds around is the presence or lack of ARTISITC INTEGRITY found within a particular fighting style. If you guys don't understand what I mean by artistic integrity then STFU and sit this one out.

20. Remington

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sound to me, that you prefer forms that are "flashy" and are less ridged and have more "flow" to them, than the ridged, no-nonsense forms like Judo and Muay Thai. But, just because one from doesn't look/operate in your own "artsy" fashion, means it's not an "art" to you. That's just like me saying that country isn't music because I don't like it.

My main point is this, just because you don't find the "artistic integrity" in a form, does not mean it isn't an art.

Draft saved Draft deleted