Joakim Noah (chicago Bulls Player)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
apparently, during last night's playoff game, he responded to a heckling fan, by calling him a faggot.

My only question: why on earth do we look to professional athletes for moral judgment???? Most of these guys are horribly uneducated, just listen to their news conferences if you don't believe me. If you've ever sat courtside or without ear shot of the court at an NBA game, you'll know that foul and abusive language is the norm, not the exception that the NBA makes it out to be. Cut the bullshit, and stop freaking out when these idiots act like idiots...

just my rant, sorry.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
apparently, during last night's playoff game, he responded to a heckling fan, by calling him a faggot.

My only question: why on earth do we look to professional athletes for moral judgment???? Most of these guys are horribly uneducated, just listen to their news conferences if you don't believe me. If you've ever sat courtside or without ear shot of the court at an NBA game, you'll know that foul and abusive language is the norm, not the exception that the NBA makes it out to be. Cut the bullshit, and stop freaking out when these idiots act like idiots...

just my rant, sorry.

That's fine & dandy, but these are supposed to be sporting events for all ages to observe and we're supposed to be dealing with professionals. It's never proper, professional etiquette for anyone to call another person a f***** under any circumstances. Doesn't matter if this is a sporting event, a political debate, or any public forum. It's not about "protecting the children", since most kids are swearing and using certain pejoratives among each other already. However, it is all about setting the right example since we, as adults, know children are going to connect with the celebrity images of athletes. And truth be told, with the overly excessive amounts of money professional sports players make on a yearly basis they should be the last people whining, bitching or calling ANYONE a f***** on screen.

I'm still rootin' for the Bulls in the NBA East, but Joakim Noah is still an idiot for getting caught out there not looking professional like he's paid to do. So yes, he does deserve the criticisms and the scrutiny.

Last edited:

slikrik2003

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's not about looking to them for moral judgment. These players are on national TV and children look up to them. They are role models for younger people. Unfortunately, the competitive nature of professional sports make people lash out when heckled or when players take physical abuse. It happens.

P.S. Joakim Noah is well educated as his father was a professional athlete. He had a really comfortable upbringing and went on to attend the best school in the SEC with myself haha.

kayman

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Yeah, Noah isn't 'uneducated' at all. He attended and graduated from the University of Florida. He might be ignorant though...

shyyguy123

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a huge Gator fan so I've followed Joakim for years. He was always the target of hecklers during the Gator's championship years. It's something I know he's used to.

So for him to react like that the fan had to of been saying worse stuff than he said. I know some of the Bulls players commented that the fan should have been ejected from the game. I agree.

If an NBA player can get fined $100,000 for saying faggot to a fan who's probably been saying worse stuff to him the ENTIRE game why shouldn't the fan have any repercussions? I'm not saying they fine the fan but maybe eject him from the game?

It only seems fair to me.

D_Suckleberry Hound

Experimental Member
Media
Hmm. Well, the 2 words that younger people use these days that really bother me are "faggot" and "retarded". It's hurtful, unthoughtful, and unfortunate that they are used so widely these days.

However, I have no problem with players saying whatever they feel like during a game. They are paid to compete and part of that is getting really worked up and you sometimes say things in the heat of the moment. I blame the TV stations for zooming in on these guys and "catching" them saying things in the heat of the moment. I would also never be under the illusion that my kids won't hear profanity when I take them to games. It goes with the territory. If the TV hadn't showed it my kids would never have heard about it.

He got caught on TV and he apologized for making an insensitive remark. The NBA chose to fine him. I am fine with it all.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's fine & dandy, but these are supposed to be sporting events for all ages to observe and we're supposed to be dealing with professionals. It's never proper, professional etiquette for anyone to call another person a f***** under any circumstances. Doesn't matter if this is a sporting event, a political debate, or any public forum. It's not about "protecting the children", since most kids are swearing and using certain pejoratives among each other already. However, it is all about setting the right example since we, as adults, know children are going to connect with the celebrity images of athletes. And truth be told, with the overly excessive amounts of money professional sports players make on a yearly basis they should be the last people whining, bitching or calling ANYONE a f***** on screen.

I'm still rootin' for the Bulls in the NBA East, but Joakim Noah is still an idiot for getting caught out there not looking professional like he's paid to do. So yes, he does deserve the criticisms and the scrutiny.

TRUST me, I'm pulling for Chicago as well, but I just don't like ostracizing Noah for what he did. This happens in sports more frequently than can possibly be explained. My only hope is that these men are idolized for their athletic prowess, and nothing more, because, let's face it, from a moral standpoint, they're not the most ideal folks :/

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a huge Gator fan so I've followed Joakim for years. He was always the target of hecklers during the Gator's championship years. It's something I know he's used to.

So for him to react like that the fan had to of been saying worse stuff than he said. I know some of the Bulls players commented that the fan should have been ejected from the game. I agree.

If an NBA player can get fined $100,000 for saying faggot to a fan who's probably been saying worse stuff to him the ENTIRE game why shouldn't the fan have any repercussions? I'm not saying they fine the fan but maybe eject him from the game?

It only seems fair to me.

Ya I always hated Noah when he was at UF lol. I totally disagree with your thought though.

Here's a hypothetical: the fan and Noah switch monetary places (fan gets Noah money, Noah gets fan money). The only stipulation is that the fan isn't allowed to respond to heckling, no matter how profane it may be. If this fan is a sober, rational man, you can bet your bottom dollar he's gonna act like Noah doesn't exist.

Let's face it, these guys get paid more for 48 minutes of playing basketball than most people do in a year, and they get paid that amount 82 times over (excluding postseason)!!! They have to be held to a higher standard. That or no longer be deified by the public, which leads back to my initial rant.

Eric_8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, Noah isn't 'uneducated' at all. He attended and graduated from the University of Florida. He might be ignorant though...

Ya sorry, I didn't mean to generalize all athletes as uneducated. That being said, I have ZERO problem placing Noah in the minority for professional athletes. Many are not very bright, and I could talk myself silly about college athletes, they're worse!

Tae Lebron James or Dwayne Wade for instance. These men are tremendous talents, and they've parlayed those talents into a wonderful life, becoming marketable assets in the process. But just listen to them speak in interviews, and please tell me their god awful grammar doesn't make you laugh.

that being said, they could care less, and i wouldn't either. They can have my book smarts and grammar, and I'll take their money...solid trade (at least for me)

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
TRUST me, I'm pulling for Chicago as well, but I just don't like ostracizing Noah for what he did. This happens in sports more frequently than can possibly be explained. My only hope is that these men are idolized for their athletic prowess, and nothing more, because, let's face it, from a moral standpoint, they're not the most ideal folks :/

I'm sure in a week, nobody is even going to remember this incident. Noah slipped up, he was fined for it (and I'm sure it didn't affect his bank account that much either) and the game goes on. Case in point, very few people even bother to mention Kobe Bryant and his slip of the tongue when he called a referee a f***** a while back. I think everyone can realize to some degree what Noah did was not purely intentional. But it's still the wrong thing for him to do when he's supposed to be working.

johnnyx - I don't think we can blame the cameraman or the TV station in this case either. It's not as if they intentionally look for people who could be swearing on a basketball court, because if they were that wouldn't be a good look for the network airing the sporting events... never mind the financial endorsements they would be risking for doing such a thing. Noah was heated after a call on the floor he didn't agree with. Things like that happen all the time in sporting events. It's become customary for the camera to be zoomed in on the player(s) who caused the foul. Emotions may flare up. But not everyone decides to use the word f***** towards a heckler in the heat of that moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.