Joe Average

H8Monga: This seems like it'd be an interesting show. So far all the dating reality show have had "tv-friendly," "hot" people. I guess they've figured out in reality real people want to see real people on "reality" tv.

gigantikok: What's it about? What channel does it play on and when?

H8Monga: Damn it what channel is it? Either ABC or NBC, I believe it starts next week, Monday I think. It's another one of those dating games like the Bachelor but they have these average looking guys (overweight, balding etc) and a woman has to date them and pick which one she wants... but the fact they're average seems to be a surprise to her.

prepstudinsc: Networks are really grasping at straws now. They've run out of ideas for reality shows, so they are just doing anything to get ratings. Televisions shows have always been sort of "fantasy" for the viewers--a chance to escape out of their mundane lives and live a life of wealth and excitement. Why would any producer think that people would want to see ordinary people? This is going to be everyday people doing everyday things. Sounds pretty boring to me.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Let me get this straight. The name of the show is Joe Average. They find a beautiful woman, introduce her to a bunch of goofus guys (nerds, dorks and fat guys) and she's surprised at their appearance?

Either she's getting a huge salary for this show or she's been promised her own Broadway play for this humiliation.

Give me a break. Any wonder why I don't watch reality shows?

Pecker

(HEADLINE: Report Gets Urologist In Trouble With His Peers)

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can remember when BIG BROTHER was running on CBS, and even then it was pretty damn iffy. BTW, I caught the season finale of THE JOE SCHMOE SHOW, and boy, that guy was really thrown for a loop over the surprise ending. Though if I were on it, and accidently found out all about it, I probably wouldn't have taken it in stride like MATT did.

I'm sorry, but mindfucks on National Television just don't appeal to me.

longtimelurker: mindfucks can actually work quite well if there is some thought put into it (rather than throwing a bunch of half-baked ideas together and making sure that the prize is big enough). Channel 4 over here tends to do some very good stuff. An example that has definately been exported to the US is Faking It, where someone completely unsuitable gets put in with some industry experts and is expected to compete against some real professionals, and fool a professional panel of judges that they aren't the fake. The sheer emotion and the drive to succeed just runs all through this program and you really end up feeling for the participant - and there's no cash prize - only the feeling that you've succeeded.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Faking it sounds like a prime-time keeper, LTL, but I can just about guarantee that if an American producer gets hold of it, it will become a comedy.

Other than the Public Broadcasting Company, American network TV seems to hold little faith in the viewing public's intelligence.

Pecker

(HEADLINE: Thief Gets 9 Months In Violin Case)

longtimelurker: No, you did make your own version (unimaginatively titled Faking It USA). The same production company made them both, and when it screened here it seemed to follow the same format. It was screened on TLC(?) and the British version is on BBC America (apparently).

aj2181: I feel sorry for a lot of those reality TV people. They get into something that really doesn't paint them in a flattering light. Of course these people get into it themselves...but hey they play cruel jokes on most of those people..and use them for underhanded ratings boosting scenarios.

awellhungboi: I saw a commerical for Joe Average. I think it's on NBC. Beyond the initial gag of the woman discovering the guys are 'average' I don't see how they can keep the show going. She looks good in that bikini they show her in, though.

I think 'reality' shows have peaked. The New Joe Millionaire bombed big time!