Joe Satriani anyone?

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
He is the king. I have seen him in concert a few times. I couldn't tell you a favorite song for me. Day at the Beach really reminds me of spending a day at the beach, its what I love about his songs. They take you to another place. The Mighty Turtle Head. Flying in a Blue Dream is another great one. He wrote that thinking of those times late at night when he was young and in bed going to sleep. He would picture himself floating out of his window and flying through the night around his town and wherever else. Something tells me you don't have all his albums yet and have much to look forward to. Enjoy the journey.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Engines of Creation: Only good guitar shred/techno hybrid album I've ever heard. Very cool stuff. One of most accessible and least "shred" of the virtuosos to come out of the 80s and their influence.

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i had a dream that i got to meet him, but he was really strange, and scraggly looking. he had long hair and it looked like he hadn't showered for a week or two. heh. my boyfriend surprised me and told me he wanted me to meet someone. here it was joe satriani! i put my hands over my mouth and i was so shocked. i started crying and i gave him a hug and told him that i am such a big fan of his and he plays great music. but he wasn't very friendly. it was like talking to a brick wall. he just shook everyone's hands and then walked off. it was like he was really nervous around people and very eccentric.

...then i woke up. :rolleyes:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Got to hang with him at an axe shop in SF in the early 90s... back when he was king. Nice guy, as a few of us were fawning over a double neck pedal steel that showed up on consignment. I was a big Eric Johnson fan at the time, whom Satch could eat for lunch, but something should be said.. for soul and spirit vs shwanker... and frankly that's where an Eric Johnson, hell, Neil Young has him beat. Regardless... I brought him up, and the guy was beyond gracious and blathering about EJ... this was pre-Satch/EJ/Vai, too... Pretty fun albums. I actually still have Satriani's demo album (in a box, probably destroyed now).. the original Not Of This Earth... (not him on the cover, but the cheesy planetary art)... right in front of the Steve Vai Flex-able 7" demo... and Flex-able Leftovers [I know this must be clicking with someone here].

[P.S. said pedal steel.... that 1958 Fender 1000 double neck, later named Charlene... still sits in my collection ;-) ] - my 5th wife and I attached.

Now I'm curious... and go for broke here... is anyone reading a Joe Satriani thread also aware of Autechre. Just curious the possibility.

Attachments

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

JustHangin'

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
DUDE SATRIANI ROXS!!!!!! I dont like to get into the whole "BULLSHIT, THE BEST GUITAR PLAYER IS (insert your pleasure here)"... but hes definitely one of my favorite's! THE GUY HAS FEELING AS WELL AS TECHNIQUE!! and thats AWESOME!!!! of course many ppl think that because you have an amazing technique you are just a robot ... whatever... im a professional guitar player myself, hehee in fact you can see my TSL Marshall half stack and my 2 beautiful guitars in the background of many of my pictures, lol!

anywayz, ROCK ROXS! my recommendation: Super Colossal by Satriani

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw the G3 tour with Vai Johnson and Satch. Eric Johnson has some serious chops. I have seen Vai a few times on his own as well, and have all of his leftovers. But I wouldn't say satch doesn't play or have any soul or spirit, that dude can emulate emotions and paint pictures in one's mind with a guitar, bottom line. Who says soul has to sound like the blues or have a lot of bends or vibrato? Why does soul and spirit have to be sloppy? Why can't one play with technical precision and have soul at the same time? Have you listened to all of his albums since the early days? He isn't always the 80s shredder he is thought to be.

sevencirc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
One of the best!

HOWEVER
I prefer John Petrucci from Dream Theater more, please don't flame me.

My favorite guitar solo.
YouTube - Dream Theater - Hollow Years (live in Budokan)

I love Satriani, Petrucci, and Steve Vai. Vai's "For the Love of God"
is another phenomenal solo to be included with these other two
virtuosos. G3 featuring these three guitar wizards is most impressive. YES,
there are other Guitar God lovers on this site!! :cool::cool::cool:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I saw the G3 tour with Vai Johnson and Satch. Eric Johnson has some serious chops. I have seen Vai a few times on his own as well, and have all of his leftovers. But I wouldn't say satch doesn't play or have any soul or spirit, that dude can emulate emotions and paint pictures in one's mind with a guitar, bottom line. Who says soul has to sound like the blues or have a lot of bends or vibrato? Why does soul and spirit have to be sloppy? Why can't one play with technical precision and have soul at the same time? Have you listened to all of his albums since the early days? He isn't always the 80s shredder he is thought to be.

No point well taken.. I guess I have a preference some slop and soul vs technicianship... thusly the Neil reference. Hell, I'll always champion the local guy. So I'm still an ardent Satch fan. I just find a few other guitarist that have a little more "feel" and "wrench" than Joe... maybe if he played a little more "straight thru", I'd be more into him, but arguing over preferences here I think.

Funny thing was we got into Satch in [ok, I'm going both date myself, and throw out a myriad of early SF metal references]... Satch we got into because a fantastic band on the regular circuit off Broadway in SF ... (i.e. The Stone) Metallica had Kirk Hammett, whom we all dug from the Exodus days (more SF late 80s name dropping)... so the fact that Satch was his teacher... at the time I knew of Zappa and dug the funny songs, but didn't appreciate him until laters, but later on... after learning that the same guy from Eat Em and Smile and Shut And Play Yer Guitar Vols X-Y was taught by Joe.

And lest we all forget... and I have ZERO clue how the styles match.. but Joe also taught Larry from Primus ... Larry LaLonde. Course everyone was agape at what Les Claypool was doing off of Gilman in Berkeley or the I-Beam.

Ok... I've thrown out enough SF references for an eve....

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i also love dream theater. :biggrin1: i wish there were more musicians out there like dream theater and joe satriani. sure, there are newer bands that i like, but where are the guitar solos? the ones that do have guitar solos aren't that great. it seems bands today are lazy. :rolleyes:

not many people i know, know of joe satriani or dream theater. sad. i was in the car and i had joe satriani playing, and my friend was like "what is this? it's boring! is he ever going to sing?" i started cracking up, and i told her that there are no words. you have to listen and feel. she thought i was nuts. she's got ADHD so maybe that explains why. lol.

i am a very spiritual person. i see beauty in everything, especially music and nature. words can't explain. usually when i feel something, i feel it very strongly and sometimes it brings tears to my eyes. that is why i love joe satriani's music. sometimes music can paint a better canvas than a painter with a paintbrush. :smile:

Mr. Bungle

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am simply in awe of Satriani, being a guitar player. I spent many hundreds and hundreds of hours trying to figure out a lot of his music. I really do love all his albums, even his jazz-oriented self-titled cd; he just has his own sound and style that is imcomparable. I saw him and Vai and Petrucci on G3 2001, and I was in the 6th row. I don't think I played any guitar about a week afterwards!! I thought, "oh man, I've got a LONG way to go before I reach THIS level!!!" And to think I discovered Satriani by accident too - back in 1989/1990 when Cliffs of Dover was being played on the Radio (by Eric Johnson), for some reason, I thought it was Satriani, but this was before I knew any music by either of them. I went out and bought the newly-released Flying in a Blue Dream, thinking that song would be on there. But it wasn't, obviously... from that, I discovered the genius of Satch. I've got all his albums except for the most recent one, and I never get tired of him. And you're right, Skull, Satch plays with a TREMENDOUS amount of emotion and soul, and can rip on the guitar with amazingly fast licks while still NOT making it sound like one big shredfest. His more recent playing is a lot different from the Surfing With the Alien days, as his style has become so much more melodic (it always HAS been, but he's really evolved as a player). I'll continue to be a fan for a long, LONG time, and he'll be putting out albums for quite some time too, despite the fact that he's actually in his early FIFTIES right now..

nay-nay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
my dad is a great guitar player. when i hear him play, or joe satriani, i get inspired to learn more and be better. i don't look at it as "i totally suck" but rather "i can't wait til i know as much as them!" :biggrin1: