Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Congressman John Lewis has publicly stated he will not attend the inauguration, adding that trump is not our legitimate president.

This is taking the anti-trump backlash to a new level. This is taking a party's loss and petulant behavior following an election to a new level. It's damaging and irresponsible. It doesn't help our country. Where is obama encouraging our government representatives to respect the office and support a smooth transition of power? Instead, the focus is on challenging the outcome. I see this only emboldens both sides, further dividing this country.

Reactions: malakos and BillM

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Congressman John Lewis has publicly stated he will not attend the inauguration, adding that trump is not our legitimate president.

This is taking the anti-trump backlash to a new level. This is taking a party's loss and petulant behavior following an election to a new level. It's damaging and irresponsible. It doesn't help our country. Where is obama encouraging our government representatives to respect the office and support a smooth transition of power? Instead, the focus is on challenging the outcome. I see this only emboldens both sides, further dividing this country.
President Obama has done nothing but encourage this Nation on a smooth transition of power. If you can find where he has said elsewhere please post it.

Calling Mr Lewis's actions "petulant" is insulting to the man:
adjective
-. moved to or showing sudden, impatient irritation, especially over some trifling annoyance:

Say what you want about this man's actions they were not petulant. They were not sudden, he showed no irritation and they were not about something Mr Lewis considered to be a trifling annoyance. The first amendment applies to members of congress.

I don't think the focus is on challenging the outcome, but knowing exactly how we arrived at this outcome.

Reactions: b.c. and kewlkid75

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
President Obama has done nothing but encourage this Nation on a smooth transition of power. If you can find where he has said elsewhere please post it.

Calling Mr Lewis's actions "petulant" is insulting to the man:
adjective
-. moved to or showing sudden, impatient irritation, especially over some trifling annoyance:

Say what you want about this man's actions they were not petulant. They were not sudden, he showed no irritation and they were not about something Mr Lewis considered to be a trifling annoyance. The first amendment applies to members of congress.

I don't think the focus is on challenging the outcome, but knowing exactly how we arrived at this outcome.
The next 4 years will be spent with the nation reacting to early morning tweets, the press will be on them like a pack of wolves, but it says a lot about the man who is the Commander in Chief when his deliveries come in 140 digits as his concentration cant last for any longer...

Reactions: b.c.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
FWIW, MR Trump responded to Mr Lewis's statement with 2 very racist tweets.
The first:
Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk - no action or results. Sad!

To Donald, black congressman equals inner city squalor. Mr. Lewis represents a very wealthy and crime free district of Atlanta.
The part about "All talk, talk...." is just sad. Mr Lewis was nearly killed during civil rights protests of the 60's. He was beaten to within an inch of his life yet never resisted or fought back.
The second:
Congressman John Lewis should finally focus on the burning and crime infested inner-cities of the U.S. I can use all the help I can get!

Once again, Black congressman equals burning and crime infested inner cities. Please tell me which of our inner cities is burning down, I'll call the fire department.

Media
Little Donnie's enabler mommy, KellyAnne, needs to take his Twitter away again. Her negative reinforcement of his behavior is failing. Trump's problems are of his own making. He needs to quit blaming others. If he's unhappy, he needs to look no farther than himself. John Lewis is an honorable man and does not make accusations lightly. Trump is not deserving of sympathy. Perhaps he needs to cover his tracks better or not place himself in a position where he is questionable. Grow up, Trump, you're going to be a president who is presumed to represent the best interests of all the citizens of the United States. You are our employee. Not reverse. Do the job correctly or leave. John Lewis has every right to question Trump's legitimacy, as do all citizens of the United States. More important, he did it with more respect than Trump did to Obama. Grow up, Trump.

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My feeling is to call Donny a C*** - but alas that denigrates ladies genitals....
when I was younger we'd just say "fuck you" when we had a disagreement - then decided we were wishing a pleasurable occupation on an enemy, so the words became "un fuck you"j

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
FWIW, MR Trump responded to Mr Lewis's statement with 2 very racist tweets.
The first:
Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk - no action or results. Sad!

To Donald, black congressman equals inner city squalor. Mr. Lewis represents a very wealthy and crime free district of Atlanta.
The part about "All talk, talk...." is just sad. Mr Lewis was nearly killed during civil rights protests of the 60's. He was beaten to within an inch of his life yet never resisted or fought back.
The second:
Congressman John Lewis should finally focus on the burning and crime infested inner-cities of the U.S. I can use all the help I can get!

Once again, Black congressman equals burning and crime infested inner cities. Please tell me which of our inner cities is burning down, I'll call the fire department.

Racist? How so?

Reactions: malakos

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Racist? How so?
My only answer is wow. I consider you an intelligent poster from the right, with whom I can have discussion with.

If you can't see the racism in his tweets, you are a true Trump supporter, I hope you enjoy your president.

I misjudged you.

D

deleted15807

My only answer is wow. I consider you an intelligent poster from the right, with whom I can have discussion with.

If you can't see the racism in his tweets, you are a true Trump supporter, I hope you enjoy your president.

I misjudged you.

It's the usual "Who...us...racist...bigoted?' As they rant on and on in racists and/or bigoted terms.

The more we learn about Russia’s hacking and the release of its electronic loot during our presidential election, the more it becomes clear that Donald Trump’s victory and his imminent presidency are already tainted beyond redemption.

--

Donald Trump is as much Russia’s appointment as our elected executive. The legacy of his political ascendance will be written in Cyrillic and affixed with an asterisk.

Donald Trump and the Tainted Presidency

Last edited by a moderator:

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I misjudged you.
Well, Lewis can certainly hold trump accountable for his statement if inaccurate. But for you to make the leap that his statement is racist simply because, as you claim, "trump equates black congressman with inner city squalor" is just as irresponsible then as trumps' quote, by your own standard.

To your last sentence, sorry you feel that way. There are plenty here who knee jerk hate anyone who holds a different view from them, and for the sake of not following the pack, as you can see from those so quick to jump on an opportunity to bash. I would hope that you not act in kind simply because i don't agree with you. That would be a lost opportunity to engage in a health discussion.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
C2N5-h5XAAAHnAs.jpg
Well, Lewis can certainly hold trump accountable for his statement if inaccurate. But for you to make the leap that his statement is racist simply because, as you claim, "trump equates black congressman with inner city squalor" is just as irresponsible then as trumps' quote, by your own standard.

To your last sentence, sorry you feel that way. There are plenty here who knee jerk hate anyone who holds a different view from them, and for the sake of not following the pack, as you can see from those so quick to jump on an opportunity to bash. I would hope that you not act in kind simply because i don't agree with you. That would be a lost opportunity to engage in a health discussion.
Those were tweets I cut and pasted off of his twitter page. They are 100% accurate. There is no leap necessary for calling
Mr.Trump a racist for seeing the race of Mr.Lewis and assuming he represents a district of some dystopian vision of crime, fires and squalor. I think it let's us know exactly how he thinks. His mind is back in 1973 when he was sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination in the housing projects he owned.

keenobserver

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Wow. The head birther doesn't like being called illegitimate. Who fucking knew? Where were the cries when the right was questioning Obama's legitimacy every damn day? Fuck these people.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
View attachment 623077 Those were tweets I cut and pasted off of his twitter page. They are 100% accurate. There is no leap necessary for calling
Mr.Trump a racist for seeing the race of Mr.Lewis and assuming he represents a district of some dystopian vision of crime, fires and squalor. I think it let's us know exactly how he thinks. His mind is back in 1973 when he was sued by the Justice Department for racial discrimination in the housing projects he owned.

And you know that trump based his response purely on Lewis' race? You know that for a fact?

See, these leaps just add to the emotion. And they are dangerous, disingenuous accusations. Whatever. It could be suggested you are looking for a racist tilt in his response. But, that's where we have all sunk to in this era.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wow. The head birther doesn't like being called illegitimate. Who fucking knew? Where were the cries when the right was questioning Obama's legitimacy every damn day? Fuck these people.

Ahhhhhhh, so is this what it's about? Pay back time now, huh? Wow is right.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And you know that trump based his response purely on Lewis' race? You know that for a fact?

See, these leaps just add to the emotion. And they are dangerous, disingenuous accusations. Whatever. It could be suggested you are looking for a racist tilt in his response. But, that's where we have all sunk to in this era.
Mr Trump has never said or done anything to make me think it was anything but race. In fact quite the opposite. Have you heard him speak?
Even now, you are only seeing the half of it. His vision of inner cities is one of fires, crime and squalor. This is not born out by the facts. Who lives in inner cities? People of color are the majority.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Donald Trump has an established track record of making remarks which can be construed as disparaging various ethnic minorities.

That doesn't mean he's intentionally trying to disparage them, but at minimum he is extremely careless with his words in a way that people who do have issues with minorities can latch onto.

In so far as he continues to make statements like that despite being informed about this, it does lend credence to the argument that he is a racist making racist remarks (because any person who wasn't racist would be likely to take a bit more care with how they spoke once it's pointed out to them).

It's like someone who uses the word colored when referring to minorities in daily speech. That's not necessarily racist (could just be upbringing), but if it's pointed out to them that people take offense at the term and there are better terms available, and they tell them to fuck off and keep saying colored, it's pretty likely they're racist.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Mr Trump has never said or done anything to make me think it was anything but race. In fact quite the opposite. Have you heard him speak?
Even now, you are only seeing the half of it. His vision of inner cities is one of fires, crime and squalor. This is not born out by the facts. Who lives in inner cities? People of color are the majority.

So if I understand, you are suggesting 1 + 1, but getting 3. Again, you're making major leaps here. He's certainly invested a lot in NYC, and now Washington, and don't think he'd be doing that if he felt inner cities, Chicago aside, were places of fires, crime and squalor (although Diblasio has been a failure in my eyes, but that's for another thread. Maybe Hilary will run for mayor and show us what she would have done for the country).

I find it dangerous to jump on the racism train, but I get why it's so popular. It strikes a nerve, and plays to people's emotions.