John McCain neglected

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dreamer20, Mar 26, 2008.

1. dreamer20

Gold Member

John McCain Voted for DOMA in 1996, a law that discriminates against same-sex marriages.
    He called Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell intolerant for their views in Feb. 2000.
    ABC News: Making Right Turn, McCain Embraces Falwell

Quote: John McCain in 2000:"Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance, whether they be Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton on the left, or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell on the right,"

Shortly after 9/11 these prophets claimed that God had cursed America with the events of 911 because America had secularized its society and allowed gays and lesbians within it.

YouTube - Which of them will Jesus smite first? (Question answered!)

HIV was supposedly another such gay related curse according to them.

In April 2006 John McCain did an about face to receive the endorsements of both Falwell and Robertson. In 2006 he supported a bill that would ban same-sex marriage in his home state of Arizona, but the bill failed. Yet in June of that same year he voted against the passage of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage.

Feb. 27, 2008 McCain embraces an endorsement from Anti-Catholic, Anti-Gay, Anti-Muslim Televangelist John Hagee.

Excerpt:
    In contrast with Obama’s repeated denunciations of Farrakhan, McCain openly embraced Hagee’s endorsement. When confronted about Hagee’s controversial views, McCain said he was “proud” of Hagee and welcomed his support.
    • SEN. JOHN McCAIN: Well, I think it’s important to note that Reverend—Pastor John Hagee, who has supported and endorsed my candidacy, supports what I stand for and believe in. When he endorses me, it does not mean that I embrace everything that he stands for and believes in. And I am very proud of Pastor John Hagee’s spiritual leadership to thousands of people. I am proud of his commitment to the independence and freedom of the state of Israel. That does not mean I support or endorse or agree with some of the things that Pastor John Hagee may have said nor positions that he may have taken on other issues.
    I would like to know why our members, especially the gay ones, would cast their lot in with this candidate who embraces these anti-gay, radical, evangelical preachers and generally opposes gay rights.

I would also like to hear from those who would would not support him, and why.

2. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    There is nothing wrong with voting for one thing at the state-law level vs what belongs (or doesn't belong) as an Amendment. Regardless of the merits of the law/bill.

3. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Where is it stated that McCain voted on a particular issue just to and/or with blatant regard to win endorsements from Jerry and Pat? I think you're reaching/assuming here.

I think McCain is pointing out that this Pastor supports McCain, not vice versa.... and John makes it clear what he likes about Hagee... and leaves the assumption that there is plenty he is not a fan of.

I understand your passion for the issue at hand here... but I think you are reaching a bit to pin McCain as this vehement anti-gay marriage monster.

4. dreamer20

Gold Member

You assumed that faceking. John McCain's about face was shown in recent years as he embraced the support of persons with views that he formerly found to be so repugnant in the year 2000:

Then:
    Quote: John McCain when he ran for president in 2000:"Neither party should be defined by pandering to the outer reaches of American politics and the agents of intolerance, whether they be Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton on the left, or Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell on the right,"

McCain also chastised then-Governor Bush for “seeking the support of Southern fundamentalists who have expressed anti-Catholic views,” saying that he “would condemn openly” such “agents of intolerance.

Now:Mar. 11, 2008
    John McCain says such intolerance is just “taken out of context.”
    Excerpt from his defense of Pastor John Hagee:

Think Progress » Blog Archive » McCain Defends Hagee: ‘He Said That His Words Were Taken Out Of Context’

Quote McCain: "I will say that he said that his words were taken out of context, he defends his position. I hope that maybe you’d give him a chance to respond. He says he has never been anti-Catholic, but I repudiate the words that create that impression."

Hagee's anti-Catholic comments appear here:

YouTube - McCainflopping

and here:

http://www.lpsg.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1378482

J.M. has pissed off a number of Catholics by not denouncing or distancing himself from Hagee. He may lose their votes in November.

5. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    I'm still trying to follow you here/give you the benefit of doubt.

I will say that he said that his words were taken out of context, he defends his position. I hope that maybe you’d give him a chance to respond.

I don't see where he's pandering to Hagee... a la the "about face" you're referring to.

"He said his words" vs "I think his words were taken out of context".

"He defends his position" vs "I defend his position"

Then just asks to let him respond.

Perhaps he'll lose some Catholic votes... but probably not in states that matter. And if it is Obama... Catholics will come out of the woodworks. McCain has already pissed off a number of conservatives as it is... question is whom will be his running mate and will/can that help him or not.

6. dong20

Gold Member

I noticed this too. It's not unusual in politics of course but ... This is an extract from something I've posted more than once and it seems to echo what you're suggesting. It seemed to get no attention at the time.

I don't think it proves much of anything other than a questionable taste in associates, but that seemed ample for a virtual meltdown over a certain other candidate.:cool:

7. D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Is this asking to hear from those that would support him?

or those that would not support him and are not gay?

:confused:

8. Principessa

Gold Member

9. dreamer20

Gold Member

I want to hear from everyone who has something to say about the "old fossil".:biggrin1:

10. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    He wasn't just endorsed by Haggee........according to haggee himself, John Mccain SOUGHT hagee's endorsement

11. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Why would a gay person vote for someone who thinks that the right to marry in his state of Arizona should be prohibited to gay people. I'm at a loss. I live in massachusetts and we have gay marriaqge. At first there was big organization to have it repealed. As time wore on, the people of massachusetts realized the sky didnt fall because of gay marriage, and now it is a total NON issue.....Now I want my marriage to be recognized by the federal Government and every other state, as it would be if it were a heterosexual marriage. John McCain will NOT lift a finger to help realize this outcome.REPEAL DOMA in its entirety...there is only ONE candidate who has that in his platform and that man is Barack Obama.

12. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:

Draft saved Draft deleted