Judicial Confirmation Network: Already Swiftboating Potential Supreme Court Nominees

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Obama should be making his U.S. Supreme Court nomination soon (some say as early as next week). There is a "short list" making the rounds. Many expect Obama to select a woman. Many even expect Obama to choose an hispanic woman. Nobody, of course, knows for sure.

A group calling itself the "Judicial Confirmation Network" is a republican-organized website putting out pre-emptive attacks on many of Obama's potential nominess. This "network" is administered by a group called "Campaign Solutions" which is the PR firm for the Bush-Cheney '04 campaign, the Republican National Committee and the National Republican Congressional Committee. "Campaign Solutions" is associated with Creative Response Concepts, the public relations firm that advised "Swift Boat Veterans for Truth", the organization that accused Kerry of inflating his Vietnam War record during the 2004 presidential campaign.

Here's the Judicial Confirmation Network in action, pre-emptively swiftboating some of Obama's potential judicial nominees:

Diane Wood:
YouTube - Obama's Frontrunners: Diane Wood

Sonia Sotomayer:
YouTube - Obama's Frontrunners: Sonia Sotomayor

Elena Kagan:
YouTube - Obama's Frontrunners: Elena Kagan

Last edited:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
'Swift-boating' is when a republican who has never served at all {or least combat duty overseas}.....engages in a single minded campaign of hate to discredit any potential democrat oponent who actually has seen service in defense of his country. Have i got that right? If i do.....i can see how that analogy could be used to describe the Republicans tactic here.... once again.

D

deleted15807

The good news here is the Republican Noise Machine isn't anywhere near as powerful as it once was. But one cannot underestimate the power of the dying machine. I hope the Obama Administration keeps that in mind.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
No one in Congress is under the illusion that Souter's replacement is going to be anything but Pro-Choice and a supporter of gay rights on some level.

The article is correct in one thing- even the conservatives know this is a fight they have lost; this is just a rallying call for the conservatives to fill their coffers and nothing else.

D_Bob_Crotchitch

Expert Member
Media
The good news here is the Republican Noise Machine isn't anywhere near as powerful as it once was. But one cannot underestimate the power of the dying machine. I hope the Obama Administration keeps that in mind.

It was the same way during the Bush years.

Peeps in this country need to grow up, and do what is best for the nation as a whole It is decaying from constant fighting and self-interests on both sides.

LambHair McNeil

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
It's amazing how liberals become very statesman-like when it comes to a democrat nominating a justice to the court, but when republicans are in power then life as we know it will end if "so-and-so" is approved.

Apparently only memories are subject to term limits when it comes to Washington.

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It's amazing how liberals become very statesman-like when it comes to a democrat nominating a justice to the court, but when republicans are in power then life as we know it will end if "so-and-so" is approved.

Amen. And the same attitude goes towards the sheep of either side. Note the term "swift boating" for tactics really no different from Democrats' treatment of Bush's appointees.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Obama nominated the second woman on this list, Sonia Sotomayor.

First hispanic woman to be nominated. Princeton University (summa cum laude), Yale Law. Grew up poor. Born to Puerto Rican parents in the Bronx. Father had a third grade education.

She'll be 55 next month. Nominated in 1991 by President George H.W. Bush to a seat on the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.

Brilliant move, by the way, for Obama: Republicans are already smarting because Obama and democrats attracted the large majority hispanic vote in 2008 (hispanics are the fastest growing demographic in the nation). Now, republicans are gearing up for a fight with this historic pick. So dems can pick up the remaining hispanic vote in the GOP.

Last edited:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
Of course the Republicans will object. She has an education. Don't need another snooty, east-coast, IVY league, gradjiate messing stuff up even more. Let the Swift-Boating begin!

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
midlifebear: She was married while still a student at Princeton U. She only stayed married a few years. From what I can tell, she's been single for over a quarter of a century...

Just imagine conservatives suffering heart palpitations if Sonia Sotomayor were to come out as a lesbian during the confirmation process. Hahaha. Just imagine the talking heads at Fox News.

Conservatives are already labeling her "radically liberal" and a racist (she believes in some affirmative action programs).

Here's Sonia speaking to an interviewer. Born in a housing project in the Bronx to Puerto Rican parents. From the housing projects -- to Princeton and Yale.

--------------------

"I do not live in the Latina world of my youth. Instead, I have a lovely apartment in a yuppie neighborhood of Manhattan. I have worked in job environments that have been challenging, stimulating, and engrossing, but none of them are controlled by Latinos. As accomplished as I have been in my professional settings, I am always looking over my shoulder wondering if I measure up and am always concerned that I have to work harder to succeed."

She explains the impact of growing up with little money. "This is the pathology of successful Latinos and other successful individuals who come from economically deprived populations. It is hard to enjoy your success and wear it comfortably when the world we have grown up in is filled with friends and sometimes relatives who don't make it in our society at all."

At the same time, she believes one must never forget the Latin heritage. "I have also taken solace and comfort and received continued support from keeping myself anchored in my Latina heritage. Despite working and succeeding in non-Latino environments -- the Manhattan DA's Office, a private firm doing international work, a district and now circuit court judge -- I have remained connected to and integrally involved in community activities -- Latino and non-Latino groups devoted to serving the underprivileged of our society."

"The differences from the larger society and the problems I faced as a Latina woman didn't disappear when I left Princeton. I have spent my years since Princeton, while at law school and in my various professional jobs, not feeling completely a part of any of the worlds I inhabit."

--------------------

Conservatives will not feel comfortable with a Supreme Court justice who self-identifies as a "Latina woman". Her story kind of makes me think of Ellis Island -- and poor immigrant girl making good and living the american dream.

Liberal law professor Jonathan Turley does not consider Sotomayor an "intellectual powerhouse", the equivalent of a Scalia or a Roberts (which is exactly what we need). I'll have to reserve judgement because I want a liberal intellectual powerhouse, too, more than I want a hispanic woman "representing" the everyman.

Last edited:

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
how did Obama phrase it? wanted someone who had an appreciation of how the law "didn't work" for a member of the unterklassen

so, does that mean he wants to bypass the procedures of legislation and legislative change; he wants someone who will re-write the law on that understanding?

so he wants someone, as well, who feels she is not a part of the world she inhabits?

does that mean someone who lacks connection, understanding, responsibility?

(not even going into the selection beforehand, on ascribed traits -- female, "minority", et al )

will the USA survive Obama?