Juicy Obama Fingers Hit the Shelves

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Speaking of having good memories, I vividly remember my mother and father taking me and my older brother to the Coon Chicken Inn on Highland Drive in early 1950's Salt Lake City every Sunday. The entrance to the restaurant was a caricature of a giant, wild-eyed black-face (as in minstrel) negro whose giant open grinning mouth served as the front door. You walked through this giant gaping mouth, were greeted by waitresses dressed as "mammies" and ordered the fried chicken. The same caricature was used on all of the dishes, cups, saucers, bowls, and platters and can still be found in antique stores in the Land O' the Saints. To their credit, the owners hired both African American and white waitresses. But the place was a veritable Aunt Jamima Land with "pies to go."

I really don't think my parents thought of themselves as racist at the time. But by 1955 the place hand been renovated and called Nalgren's, an all you could eat buffet (still owned by the same family). Instead of overt racist imagery, they replaced the negro caricature with a giant sign showing a family of skinny people walking in one side of the entrance and the same family suddenly round and obese walking out of the other side of the door -- thus becoming an equal-opportunity offensive establishment. The restaurant still exists in yet another reincarnation (owned by relatives of the original Coon Chicken Inn folks) and is now called The Hunger-Orama or something equally dismal, in the exact same place on Highland Drive. (LPSG-ers trapped in the Land of Zion, please feel free to correct me on the new name.)

Adding insult to injury, the food isn't even remotely good. It's a far cry in quality from Luby's (originally Luby's Cafeteria) in San Antonio (and now all over Texas) where until the early 1970's African American employees only held dish washing, busing, and janitorial jobs while the cashiers, waiting staff and the women behind the buffet were all white.

As for Obama, I'm looking forward to the day he is invited to golf at any one of the still racially segregated private country clubs in the south or in Westchester County, New York.

"Sweet or unsweet?"

Last edited:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
And i still remember the SAMBO's restaurants too. And that is the point......An entire generation does not remember/recall/or ever even knew about how it used to be. And so.........out of memory, out of mind.
Holocaust revisionists COUNT on that.
I still remember when ole' Aunt Jemima wore a DO' RAG too......now she's all upscale and White household friendly too!
Or how about the FARINA kid!

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
You have got to be kidding.

Sadly, no I'm not kidding.

See: Coon Chicken Inn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And how could I forget the current restaurant where the Coon Chicken Inn stood is called Chuck-o-rama? The running joke among most of the city is to refer to the place as UpChuck or BlowChunks-o-rama. As I originally suggested, the food is less in quality and more in quantity.

As an aside:
Not far from the chicken restaurant was a pseudo-Hawaiian food restaurant called The Polynesian that had a "magic rain forest dining room" where thunder and lightning would occasionally threaten diners (the walls were fountains that dripped "rain" behind fake grass curtains) and on weekends one could dine to the romantic South Pacific stylings of Princess PaPoola and her Ports of Paradise.

Last edited:

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
A Picture of the GOP on Civil Rights

star,

Weren't all 9 republican presidential candidates invited to an annual NAACP debate in Detroit early in the campaign process?

All dems (of course) attended their NAACP debate. 8 of the 9 republicans, however, were "no shows". Including McCain, including Romney. Only Tom Tancredo attended. A photo op was taken of Tancredo (who received a standing ovation for actually showing up) while all the other lecturns & microphones remained empty. (not a pretty photo op)

B_Nick8

Cherished Member
Media
New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Sprehe Feinkost scarcely qualifies as a "major European manufacturer," though. It's a poky little supplier of frozen meat products to low-end supermarkets, and operates out of a small rural town with barely 3000 inhabitants. The company gets less than 4000 hits at Google, and more than half of those relate to its sponsorship of a junior team in local horse-riding competitions.

Which may well be the point; if they were some high-profile, cosmopolitan, "major European manufacturer", then of course they SHOULD have known better. But as it stands, they're merely a parochial small-town food company who almost certainly didn't have anyone aboard with the relevant cultural knowledge.

I'm sure you're absolutely right and I was over-reaching. I guess they're also an exception that should prove the rule: check it out first.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
A Picture of the GOP on Civil Rights

star,

Weren't all 9 republican presidential candidates invited to an annual NAACP debate in Detroit early in the campaign process?

All dems (of course) attended their NAACP debate. 8 of the 9 republicans, however, were "no shows". Including McCain, including Romney. Only Tom Tancredo attended. A photo op was taken of Tancredo (who received a standing ovation for actually showing up) while all the other lecturns & microphones remained empty. (not a pretty photo op)

I think your stats are right, willtom. The Republicans were too busy attending functions where over-cooked roast beef and Parker House rolls were served. :biggrin1:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I first read your post title, It never dawned on me to connect "Obama" and "chicken fingers" to "implied racism". I thought the point was opportunistically latching onto the Obama name to sell a product.
It is racist. The fact they are a small German company doesn't mean they are without internet access or an R&D department.

It is now time (to "MOVE ON", as MoveOn.org likes to say) for african-americans to become less touchy about chicken, watermelon and monkey associations. It's now 2009. We have a black president. Seeing racial overtones in chicken and monkeys means, subconsciously, that one wishes to be placed in (and exploit the) victim mode.
Not for nothing, but I am ever so sick and tired of white people the world over telling black Americans to "get over it," "move on," and "stop playing the victim." Playing? Uhm, We were victimized and enslaved for centuries and still are in some areas. The fact you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. As for Barack H. Obama being President, that's nice. I wish him well, but it's just one more step on a journey of ten thousand miles. His election does not end racism whether it its covert, overt, or industrial.

Point 2: A "german frozen food company" is testing this product, Obama Fingers. Europeans do not have the same cultural history and cultural baggage as the U.S. -- I think one would be hard-pressed to argue that Germans make the implied Black man-chicken-racist connections that african-americans do.
I know better than to call Germans, krauts or Jews, kikes and I've never been to Germany or Israel. I find it really hard to believe no one in that company knew the negative connotation this product would have.

Frankly, I don't see why any country other than Kenya should be interested in products named for our President. There is no way to put a positive spin on this tory and you need to stop trying.

Racial Overtones: A Dialogue
(NJQT and Queen Elizabeth are conversing before a meal)
The queen: You know, darling, these watermelons are perfectly in season and are the sweetest, most delectable-tasting --

NJQT: (cutting her off) Oh, watermelons?? You had to go there, didn't you! Grapes are in season! Strawberries are in season! But NO!, since it's ME sitting to lunch, it's watermelon! GO AHEAD! Just call me a jungle bunny! Get it over with! You know you want to...

The queen: Darling, I had no idea... I meant no... My grandson brought me sweet watermelon this weekend...

NJQT: What's the main course? Popeye's chicken and biscuits??? Throw in a bag of pork rinds?

The queen: Dear, I'm sorry, I'd have thought we might have evolved a bit in the race category department in the past...

NJQT: (her mind clicking & connecting) EVOLVED?? What, is that like a veiled allusion to Darwin? Monkeys? Listen, old lady, if I wanted to be insulted, I could have stayed in the States.

Yeah, that was pretty ignorant WillTom. :irked: Mainly because you thought I wouldn't have the class and common sense to behave properly in front of the Queen of England. :wtf2:

pym

Just Browsing
Media
NJ.....for what it is worth......i think the Queen of England would find you to be delightfull company.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NJ.....for what it is worth......i think the Queen of England would find you to be delightfull company.
We would get along famously! After all we both like to match our handbags to our shoes and we both look cute in hats. :wink::cool:

It has been brought to my attention that WillToms dialogue was meant to be more of a satire/joke type thing. I got that, I just didn't think it was funny.