July is National Minority Mental Health Month

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
actually, I think it's helping me better understand ... there is obviously a range of experiences different from my own, just listening to opinions 180 degrees from my own helps me try to reconstruct the experiential basis of the viewpoint that is different from my own ... that's one of the reasons I so strenuously object to political correctness -- it forecloses any meaningful discussion

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
actually, I think it's helping me better understand ... there is obviously a range of experiences different from my own, just listening to opinions 180 degrees from my own helps me try to reconstruct the experiential basis of the viewpoint different that is different my own ... that's one of the reasons I so strenuously object to political correctness -- it forecloses any meaningful discussion

This isn't a case of political correctness whatsoever, people throw that term around too much. We live in a world where we HAVE to make slogans and commercials and (insert problem) awareness months because most people never step outside their own experiences. More and more, individualism is being praised and sense of community is undermine.

The audacity of your post was that you were "sick of hearing about this." It was a disgusting sentiment made worse by the fact that you felt it was necessary to post it. You spoke about the mentally ill as if they were criminals, not patients. It was entirely ignorant especially coming from someone studying psychology.

Since minorities make up a disproportionate amount of the lower class, that's two fairly heavy strikes against them. Once you add a mental disease to that mix, the results can be disastrous. I think some people feel like attention placed on minorities suggests favoritism. Nope. It's realism.

I'll refrain from implying that there were undertones of bigotry in your initial post, but you clearly have some sort of issue here, maybe it was just a bad day. I'd never imagine an educated person saying that they're "sick of hearing" about a group that faces adversities. The more you study psychology (depending on the branch) the more you'll connect that dots and understand why this recognition is necessary.

Brown skin+mental disease+poverty=a large mountain to climb.

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And this is why these threads are fucked, any time race and minorities are bought up it turns into a shit fight. And im sorry to say guys but, if you dont want to hear the opinion from someone of a white majority then dont make the thread.
Excuse you! ::fight:: We had words a while back in chat because you were stirring up crap and trolling just to annoy people. Since you obviously have nothing of worth or importance to add, I strongly suggest you get the hell out of my thread. :angryfire2:

In conclusion I would just like to say, ":bryce:."

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
one of the most difficult problems I'm having here is the fact that if a member of a minority group, politically defined, is having a mental health issue, it is an issue that arose, medically, as it would have for a non-minority

if the mental health condition is the issue, it is a medical problem borne by an individual

I don't see how it can logically be politicized, or be cured by a political strategy

I do see how politicizing it, turns it into something else -- possibly a political base for Al Sharpton?

This isn't a case of political correctness whatsoever, people throw that term around too much. We live in a world where we HAVE to make slogans and commercials and (insert problem) awareness months because most people never step outside their own experiences. More and more, individualism is being praised and sense of community is undermine.

The audacity of your post was that you were "sick of hearing about this." It was a disgusting sentiment made worse by the fact that you felt it was necessary to post it. You spoke about the mentally ill as if they were criminals, not patients. It was entirely ignorant especially coming from someone studying psychology.

Since minorities make up a disproportionate amount of the lower class, that's two fairly heavy strikes against them. Once you add a mental disease to that mix, the results can be disastrous. I think some people feel like attention placed on minorities suggests favoritism. Nope. It's realism.

I'll refrain from implying that there were undertones of bigotry in your initial post, but you clearly have some sort of issue here, maybe it was just a bad day. I'd never imagine an educated person saying that they're "sick of hearing" about a group that faces adversities. The more you study psychology (depending on the branch) the more you'll connect that dots and understand why this recognition is necessary.

Brown skin+mental disease+poverty=a large mountain to climb.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
one of the most difficult problems I'm having here is the fact that if a member of a minority group, politically defined, is having a mental health issue, it is an issue that arose, medically, as it would have for a non-minority

if the mental health condition is the issue, it is a medical problem borne by an individual

I don't see how it can logically be politicized, or be cured by a political strategy

I do see how politicizing it, turns it into something else -- possibly a political base for Al Sharpton?

The disease is the same, but that's about where the similarities end. Heart disease for example. This is dangerous for anyone of any size, but when you couple that with obesity you're on a whole new plane of complication. Mental illness sucks, but if you're a minority and mentally ill, you're double-fucked because minorities are NOT equal in many respects.

You're looking at individuals (the part I made red). This month wasn't started because one black person had dementia, it's because that the COMBINATION of being a minority AND mentally ill is a deadly one. The reasoning behind this month is entirely valid. Lots of people think "racism is over, blacks are equal now" and "immigrants can attain citizenship so they're equal now." The numbers tell a different story. It's not that our problems are more important, it's that they're affecting us in large enough amounts that it's worthy of distinction.

Don't let douchebags like Al Sharpton make you think that racism and "classism" are trivial concepts. They're very real, and they have very real repercussions. Do you think that minorities have all the same opportunities and resources that non-minorities do? In some cases, yes, in MANY other cases, no. If you disagree with what I'm saying I'll be glad to dig up a few links but this isn't rocket science. Equality is still a dream, not a reality because the concept of equality is all-encompassing. It leaves no room for exceptions or "we're almost there" or "things are getting better."

Last edited:

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
Excuse you! ::fight:: We had words a while back in chat because you were stirring up crap and trolling just to annoy people. Since you obviously have nothing of worth or importance to add, I strongly suggest you get the hell out of my thread. :angryfire2:

In conclusion I would just like to say, ":bryce:."

And a perfect example of why nobody is posting in your thread. Somebody says something you don't like or agree with and you get abusive.

And ive never been in chat so..?

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
And a perfect example of why nobody is posting in your thread. Somebody says something you don't like or agree with and you get abusive.

And ive never been in chat so..?

Nobody?? It's on the second page. Your post was irrelevant and included little thought or logic. Posting for the sake of posting is stupid.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok.. I admit defeat, i didnt realize that this thread was only limited to certain minorities so since i am white and don't have a mental illness i guess i don't a say

My bad :eek:

It sucks to be white and have an opinion or dare voice it.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Ok.. I admit defeat, i didnt realize that this thread was only limited to certain minorities so since i am white and don't have a mental illness i guess i don't a say. My bad :eek:

With all due respect, NOTHING you've said so far has been on topic. Not one single post. If you have anything to say on the topic, we'll gladly discuss it. If you wanna talk about your birthday, you're free to do so in your own thread but don't expect it to be well-received in a thread about mental illness.

It sucks to be white and have an opinion or dare voice it.

What a sorry, pathetic attempt at playing the race card. No one said "white people stay out" and the person you quoted hasn't offered one single opinion on the topic. He mentioned his birthday. If you can show one post of his that's on-topic, hell even one that's an actual valid opinion, I'll apologize to both of you and demand NJ to do the same. That bullshit about "sucks to be white and have an opinion" is the most ridiculous post I've read all day. Thinking before you post will spare you moments like this where your asshole is revealed.

Go back and read the posts written by white people that were....say it with me: ON TOPIC, they didn't encounter any trouble. The only two people who have been called out were someone who's posts were off topic, and someone who said they're sick of hearing about minority problems.

Your only post in this thread is left-field, irrelevant, OFF-TOPIC and unfounded. Whatever your grievance with minorities is since it's clear that you do have one, take it elsewhere cuz this thread isn't white vs. black. If you want a "the mean minorities won't let the white man talk" thread I'll start one for you. All we were asking for here was valid, intelligent thoughts.

Good luck with your next post, my advice: think first, type last.

Last edited:

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had no idea that this was National Minority Mental Health month. First of all, thanks NJQT466 for posting such an thought provoking thread. Mental health is an issue well worth discussing and especially how it effects us all. This issue is a hot topic where I live. A number of mentally ill persons have died over the past year and a half and all happened while encountering law enforcement. In addition, all deaths happened after families contacted local authorities. For example, three Black males, one Hispanic male, one White female, two White males and one Asian male were shot, tasered, or committed suicide after law enforcement intervened. In the majority of these cases law enforcement personnel admitted that they had limited experience in how to properly deal with the mentally ill.

I cannot speak for the rest of the U.S., but Texas ranks almost last in the care of the mentally ill. The majority of those who finally go in for treatment are either incorrectly diagnosed or received little to no care. A number of them were even dumped out on the street after maybe being hospitalized for 30 day, given a prescription for medication, and a couple of follow up appointments.

This month is just a way of bringing attention to the problem of mental health care for minorities. Even though mental health crosses all lines, there are documented discrepancies when comparing access to mental health care among different ethnic groups. This issue becomes more difficult due to economics, attitudes among ethnic groups, plus sexism, discrimination due to sexual orientation, and racism in health care.

Black, Hispanic, and Asian communities have a long standing distrust of the health care system and many time will rely on faith based organizations or friends and family to combat mental illness. In addition, many of our poor, no matter the ethnic background, are left with little to no help with mental health issues.

NJQT466 was correct that mental illness is still a taboo subject in the Black community. However, it seems that some of the subsequent posts assumed that she was try to make this a Black's only issue. That's is not true. She just happened to reach from her own experience. Hopefully this act will encourage more to share their own experiences soon.

If possible, could we please the topic? I personally do not have a mental illness but I have had some friends and family that do. I would like to get more information so I may get a greater understanding of this issue and possibly help someone I love. Thanks.

Last edited:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder 9 years ago. When I told my parents my mothers initial reaction was to pretend she didn't hear me. :confused: :wtf2: My father said I was being ridiculous and that I just needed to pray more. This was followed by his telling me, that I was a strong, black woman and our people had survived slavery. Therefore, nothing I experienced could possibly be enough to cause a depression. :12:

I can't speak for other minorities but in the black community mental illness is not acceptable. It is viewed as a weakness in character. Due to lack of knowledge of the various types of mental illness sometimes people just assume you are "crazy" and should be institutionalized or they assume you are dangerous. It is VERY common in the black community for people to turn to their pastor or Reverend with a problem. The problem with that is many of these people have no background in counseling or psychology and oft times just do more damage. :frown1:

If mental illness is discussed it's done in hushed tones the way people used to whisper that so-and-so has cancer years ago.

Amen sister!

My own mother did the same to me when I went to see a therapist. They take it personally. Prayer is not necessarily going to cure you of diabetes, heart disease, or high blood pressure but black people will acknowledge that!

I think so many feel that we already have enough strikes against us so we dont want to officially "claim" mental illness when it comes our way. But dont we try to use everyone as our group therapy? You can not tell me "Keepin' it real" isnt an excuse to go undiagnosed and inflict personal suffering on others. "Sapphire" as she is manifested is nothing more than a clinically depressed black woman who doesnt have the time or the opportunity to stop long enough to take care of business. So, who suffers? EVERYONE around her. Her anger, tiredness, and critical nature are legendary. She has to keep going because there is no one there to pick her up .

I had to enlighten someone a while ago about many of the homelesss people they see on the street. On the surface what they think they are seeing are your garden variety winos and drug addicts. Look a little closer and you may see someone who is schizophrenic in need of medication attempting to medicate his or herself.

I would hazard to guess that much of the prison population if screened would show a variety of mental illnesses and personality disorders who have gone unchecked for years.

I am sure that there are many folks from other cultures who suffer similarly but there is an epidemic of shame denial and bad health care in the minority communities which only exaccerbate the problem.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
all good point for sure but just having something or someone to believe in is a great help in pulling yourself out of a depression. Something else to think about besides how miserable you feel.

Sorry I used the you word and was using it in a general aspect not pointing fingers

Last edited:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
all good point for sure but just having something or someone to believe in is a great help in pulling yourself out of a depression. Something else to think about besides how miserable you feel.

That certainly would make sense for a normal person, but we're talking about the mentally ill. Having something to believe in is a placebo for them. They need real help, not catchy mottos and mantras.