Jury Duty

OldPArtner

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was on a jury once to hear the case of a drug dealer. We ended up finding him guilty and suggested a 20-year term with no fine.
Was that a mandatory minimum or something?

I know if I were on that jury I'd be all like "FUCK THE WAR ON DRUGS" without actually saying that and I'd do all I could to convince the others that the dealer was innocent or at least only guilty of a lesser included offense.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was the foreman and when I handed our decision to the judge he made a wiseass remark about it having taken 5-hours out of his day for us to come to a verdict. I knew better than to reply to that.

Wise.

But a judge editorializing so unprofessionally in the courtoom makes me wonder whether term limits shouldn't be imposed on judges as well as elected politicians. I mean, which group is less accountable and thus more likely to behave as if their office is handed down through divine intercession?

kfl611

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I almost was on a hung jury once, it was a nightmare from hell. There were 12 of us, and 11 of us wanted to dangle the 12th one out the window by his ankles, to get him to change his mind. He wouldn't inform anyone of why he was making the decision he was making or how he came to that conclusion. Finally we all settled on a guilty charge of all the lessor counts, justice sure works in whacky ways sometimes. The last time I was on Jury duty, we found the defendant not guilty in 45 minutes, although the case was heart wrenching, (it involved a brain dead child). Some of the jurors were very cute though, so that's always nice.....

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Man i love these people who come online and announce that they are leaving LPSG or that they will not be online for some reason or another. Who cares! Guess what, the world does not revolve around you.

sure it does:biggrin1::biggrin1:

bek2335

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Hey jackass black, why dont you do what all twinks do best, just stand there and try to look pretty because god knows you have no knowledge of the world.

What's the matter with you? Why are you so mean spirited? Spend a little time doing some serious introspection - it will do us all good.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I actually got dismissed from a jury I almost got seated on because the person on trial was a friend of an employee of my mother and I had no clue, but it came out in interviews. Odd how that happens.

B_Think_Kink

Sexy Member
Media
Man i love these people who come online and announce that they are leaving LPSG or that they will not be online for some reason or another. Who cares! Guess what, the world does not revolve around you.
I care.... he's a genuinely nice person. So yes we care when our important nice people aren't around for weeks at a time.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I care.... he's a genuinely nice person. So yes we care when our important nice people aren't around for weeks at a time.

I have to side with my girl here. It is more of a sign of respect to the other members. The flip side of not doing it gets a thread asking where they went. Not to mention some members have passed away. Now Nudeyorker is in no fear of that to our knowledge, but I for one would miss his posts if anything happened.

It's not always about the individual, sometimes it's about the community.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I did jury duty some years ago, it was so bloody boring that if I'm asked to do it again I'm going to amputate my leg with a cheese grater. Although from the list of things they specify will excuse you from duty I'm not sure if that's severe enough to get me off.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Anyone else have any interesting stories about being on jury duty. This is my first time...I've always been dismissed!

I've only served on one jury, and it was about 10 years ago when I was living in Philadelphia. When friends asked me about it afterward I gave it the Encyclopedia Brown title, "The Case of the Greedy Tree Thief."

The guy on trial and his alleged accomplice (tried separately) were going into Fairmount Park in the early hours of the morning and cutting down trees (I forget which kind, but it was a specific type), hauling them out and then selling them on the Japanese market. Apparently this particular kind of tree was in high demand in a place like Japan where lumber is scarce. He was getting something like $80K for each tree.

Trial lasted 2.5 days. He was charged with grand larceny, destruction of public property and conspiracy. We deliberated for about an hour, all over the conspiracy charge (we were unanimous on the other
two)... conspiracy is really hard to prove. I think I actually wound up swaying the jury to convict. My argument was that to me it was improbable for one man to get the trees out of the park by himself. These were huge fucking trees.

After we convicted on all 3 counts, the DA came back to thank us and filled us in on some details that he wasn't allowed to bring up during the trial, most notably that the guy had a long history of doing this. I guess the previous convictions weren't admissable because they had to prove he was guilty in THIS instance. Which they were able to do pretty easily.

Okay, so in retrospect maybe not the most interesting case. :redface: But it was interesting to go through the process, and it was a type of crime I had never even heard of.

Had it been a long trial about something really awful like murder I'd probably have a much different reaction to the experience.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always, ALWAYS get a summons every year to report to jury duty. I suppose because I always request to delay service for a year.

At any rate, one time just after I bought tickets to go to Europe I get a summons. Ran out of delays and my vacation request was denied so I had to report. Long story short - out of 500 prospective jurors I ended up being one of the 24 finalists despite fudging a written evaluation with biases. I wore the most shabby clothing I owned, gave the prosecutor dirty looks from the jury box and it worked! I was one of the last to get weeded out of the jury pool, thank god.

The trial involved a murder of a taxi driver.

B_ajaxgayguy7

Experimental Member
Media
So..ALEX8 So who's is following who? Its quite obvious that i have an effect on you. tell me, how long did you spend searching the web for info on me? Someone needs to get a life. As for your duffus buddy black, if i was you id check into who follows who around. And one more thing, im not the only person on this site that thinks black is an arrogant ahole. I have had many emails from people telling me what they think of him. As for you, and everyone else on this site, i could care less what any of you think of me.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
So..ALEX8 So who's is following who? Its quite obvious that i have an effect on you. tell me, how long did you spend searching the web for info on me? Someone needs to get a life.

Finding you under the same user name (!) would take Alex8 about 37 seconds.

As for you, and everyone else on this site, i could care less what any of you think of me.

People who make such an arrogant display of giving the thumb to the world care a great deal about what others think.

B_Italian1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

I've gone to jury duty 4 times. The first two times I was picked and served on civil trials. The first one was 2 days and the second one was 3 days. It was fascinating and is very much the way you see it on tv--just a lot longer and less breaks. I felt like I was on a movie set when the prosecutors and defense were arguing, the way they cross examine the witnesses, and the judge calling the lawyers to the bench.

The second jury I served on involved a lawsuit over a car accident, and we had to view pictures of the scene. A meteorologist was brought it to describe the conditions of the road at that time of day. Everything was so detailed. It was very stressful when each side presented their case, and we had to go to the jury room and decide what to do because money was involved.

The last two times I didn't get picked because I had a high number and they call them in numerical order. If someone has an excuse, they have to approach the bench, and the judge decides whether it's a good excuse or not. If they get excused, they go to the next number. It's best to get to jury duty late so you get a higher number--at least where I go.

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
So..ALEX8 So who's is following who? Its quite obvious that i have an effect on you. tell me, how long did you spend searching the web for info on me? Someone needs to get a life. As for your duffus buddy black, if i was you id check into who follows who around. And one more thing, im not the only person on this site that thinks black is an arrogant ahole. I have had many emails from people telling me what they think of him. As for you, and everyone else on this site, i could care less what any of you think of me.
1) Learn to write and spell. (coming from me, that's a big deal. I'm a terrible speller)
2) People are welcome to have their opinions. If they dont' like me... they are welcome to tell me that. I've never said everyone had to like me. In fact, they are welcome to email me, telling me that they think I am an asshole.
3) It took Alex8 two minutes to find you.
4) People may not like me, but they REALLY don't like you. That's got to hurt your big ego.

Seriously, do you cry in your pillow at night because no one likes you? Do you wish upon stars and toss quarters into a wishing well in the hopes you can have a friend?

And just so you know, you attacked me first, unprovoked. Perhaps you should grow up. You're fighting a losing battle.