Just a warning that I received...thought I would pass it on

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by What to do?, Feb 25, 2008.

1. What to do?

What to do? New Member

Hi All,

I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Urban Legends Reference Pages, and it is for real
    Urban Legends Reference Pages: 'Postcard from a Family Member' virus

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY, CONTACTS!
    You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD,' regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which
    opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her
    contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called” POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it.!

This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS. REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US.

Get this E-mail message sent around to your contacts ASAP.

2. Principessa

Gold Member

Thanks for the heads up. :cool:

I thought this was interesting as well. It's about time they started handing out stronger sentences to hackers. Not sure it will stop it but perhaps it may be a deterrent.

Botnet Bust in Canada

Thursday February 21, 2008 at 3:44 pm CST
    Posted by Allysa Myers

Good news on the botnet-busting front comes to us from Canada! Yesterday 17 people ages 17-26 were arrested on charges stemming from alleged botnet-related activities, which resulted in $45 Million in damages.

Evidently, this is the first time that a hacking network has been dismantled in Canada (and the first time I recall hearing that a female was busted in connection with botnet activities). Over the course of the two years that this network was under investigation, the network took control of up to a million computers. When you figure the number of computers hijacked, the amount of the damages, and the number of people they were able to connect with this crime, this is a very impressive win for the Quebec police.

The maximum sentence for the charges is 10 years in jail - it will be interesting to see how much jail time this could mean for the people who’re found guilty. When the 15-year-old Canadian who called himself “Mafiaboy” was arrested for DDoS attacks against several major websites in 2000, he was sentenced to only 8 months in jail. He was also found to have caused millions of dollars worth of damage in the attacks. The people charged as part of this hacking network may have begun their criminal activities at the same age as Mafiaboy, as the initial investigation into this network goes back to summer of 2006. However, it seems that the trend has been towards longer sentences for people convicted of cybercrime, so it may be that they will not get off as light as Mafiaboy did.

The two primary differences that will figure into the sentencing, as I see it, are that the hacking network did this as a money-making enterprise, and that this was done over a long span of time. Arguably, Mafiaboy’s actions could be explained away as a moment of youthful indiscretion. These people allegedly profited from these crimes over the course of two years.

This makes me wonder how much of the total damage amount they actually took home, versus the cost of cleaning up infected machines, the cost of down-time and lost productivity. I doubt sincerely that these kids’ friends and family wouldn’t have noticed an influx of almost $3 million a piece in such a short span of time.

All in all, this is an impressive step in the direction of making legal action a real deterrent for kids who would consider taking up cybercrime.

3. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Thanks for the heads up, I passed on that message to people on my email accounts.

4. frgman

frgman New Member

Albums:
    thanks,
    will pass on at school tomorrow

5. prince_will

Gold Member

Albums:
    i don't get why someone would create and send a virus. losers.

6. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    Always good to be vigilant, but where did you get this info? I'm finding no truth to any of the above statements, not to mention this particular virus (W32/Zhelatin.gen!eml) has been in the wild since July 2007 and is currently classified as "low risk". Provided your antivirus is up-to-date it should be able to thwart it.

McAfee Recently Discovered Viruses

7. arthurdent

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, right. Norton was "gearing-up" for this in 2001.
    So ignore that original email.

As a general rule, any email which advises you to email everyone in your address book, is either a hoax, intended to clog up the internet with billions of pointless emails or the email actually contains a virus, intended to be sent to many people but is too lame to figure out how do it for itself.

8. What to do?

What to do? New Member

Thanks for the extra info, guys.

I got this from a friend who is a computer nut. He said it was a new virus that was using an old method to get to people. I don't know much about this kind of stuff, so I just trusted him. :(

9. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Because I don't open emails off people I don't know, I don't care :tongue:

10. VeeP

Gold Member

Albums:
    It could appear as though it was sent by someone you know, however. Address spoofing is a pretty old trick at this point.

That said, I still see no evidence of anything "apocalyptic" at this time.

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

More of an advertising stunt by Mcafee than anything else.

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

True. The funny ones, though, are when you get a spoof in you inbox, with your very own addy spoofed into it.

Duh. I know I didn't send that to myself.

Also, I usually can tell if a friend's email has been spoofed, because of the subject line. None of my friends send me email with the subject line

Hi!

or

Wanna meet?

or

p3nis 3nl@rgement!!!!!!

13. Northland

Gold Member

Thank you for the warning.

14. B_Lightkeeper

B_Lightkeeper New Member

I have friends (?) that love to see me forwards of jokes, photos and stuff they have received. Problem is they have addresses/names of all who have received it before.

It is a good idea before you forward any of these to take your cursor and go up to the last one listed and then by using your backspace button, delete them all until you get to the pertenant info.

By doing this you are not adding potential receiptants for spammers and hackers.

Draft saved Draft deleted