Just because were paranoid

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by madame_zora, Jul 14, 2005.

1. madame_zora

Gold Member

Okay, I won't post this whole article but rather link it. Because it has been called into question why I resent the right wing movement, you'll be hearing a lot out of me on the topic. Innocuous words like "God" and "family values" have been used to move the hearts of well meaning Americans in ways that they would never support even in their worst nightmares. I know this because if you ask the average Christian if they support discrimination or hatred, they most certainly do not, however they are for the most part unaware of what people in positions of power are doing with the trust that has been invested in them.

It's another long one, but worthy of the time to read. Separation of church and state may not be long for this country.

http://www.au.org/site/News2?page=NewsArti...d=6949&abbr=cs_

Oh, and this one's quite good too. Note bush's quote at the end.

http://www.onlinejournal.com/Theocracy_Ale...5seesholtz.html

2. jay_too

jay_too New Member

I found this quote almost as compelling: They have the ear, voice and the support of George W. Bush: "We need common sense judges who understand that our rights are derived from God. Those are the kind of judges I intend to put on the bench."

Is he proposing to appoint Jerry Falwell to the Supremes?

A few centuries ago, Parliaments and the common man threw out the idea of the divine right of kings. Did Dumbya sleep through that poly sci course where they talked about our legal system arising from the Magna Carta, common law and the 17th and 18th Century political philosphers? Oh wait.....maybe he was snorting inhalants in the crapper.

jay

3. dufus

dufus New Member

Madam Zora,

The following is a direct quote from political cartoonist Tom Oliphant on the Al Franken Show today on Air America Radio.

"The inability of people on the right to apply their own standards and values to their own people is one of the great failings on the right in these days of their power and ascendency."

Tom could not be more correct. It is my hope that the "great failings" of the right will eventually lead to their downfall. If it doesn't, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights will no longer be interpreted as documents that protect the rights of the individual. Instead, they will be interpreted as documents that promote the adjenda of those in power.

4. jonb

Gold Member

People like Dumbya prefer cocaine. Inhalants are for those of us who could never belong in their vision of America except as canon fodder.

5. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    as a semi-regular coke user, I strongly resent being compared to george w bush.

6. madame_zora

Gold Member

*Falls to the floor in worship*

7. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

Not really much new there. The religious-right's alliance with big business and the fact that it's critical to the Republican party's success is pretty well-known. I'm not sure it's necessary to have an expose on a right-wing group that spends only a million dollars a year organizing itself. There are much bigger groups out there that are far more disturbing.

Just once I want to hear a Democratic pundit point out these connections and ask why the Democrats can't have that kind of unity. Because that's really what the difference is right now. The GOP is very organized and disciplined. The Democrats are not. Instead of complaining about all the terrible things that Republicans want to do, they should get off their asses and come up with ideas that people can get behind.

My contempt for the organizations that pass themselves off as political parties grows by the day. Anyone who thinks that either of them has the answers or cares about helping people is a complete fool.

8. Imported

Gold Member

orionsword57: "I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."—President George H. W. Bush

Been away for a day or so and had to be welcomed by this little beauty. At my age, I have said that my hell-bent-for-leather days were over, but after this, I don't know. Maybe it's best to put the old farts up as cannon fodder because what have we left to win or lose. This is absolutely appaling.

9. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, this is the man I'M not being civil about, what about HIM? I hate to be a third-grader, but he started it. My opinions don't affect legislation in quite the same way as his do, so the reasons why he should be held accountable to a higher level is obvious. If I bitch about the government, nothing happens to the politicians in control of my state or country, but when they legislate against my freedoms MY life changes for the worse. These things seem too obvious to have to point out, but there you have the right-wingers basking in the sunshine wondering why anyone should be upset. It's so stupid, I can't stand it.

Now, someone please try to tell me that douche is not pushing us into theocracy.

10. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

I strongly suggest that everyone who is not a right wing Christian supremisist moves out of the U.S.

I suggest either Canada or the U.K.

No, seriously.

Things can only go downhill over there.

11. madame_zora

Gold Member

Got room on your couch?

12. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    don't bother; the UK government is run by psychotic neo-stalinists too. don't let their comparative lack of bible-humping christardanity fool you; they make up for it in sheer greed, ignorance and duplicity.

13. jonb

Gold Member

I meant because 1) people at his income don't use inhalants, and 2) he's essentially admitted he uses cocaine.

14. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

And let them have the whole country? No way.

15. Imported

Gold Member

orionsword57:
    I've read they've caught Taft in some kind of bids-for-contributions scheme.

I still say... the guy (Bush) is Howdy Doody, and his puppetmasters are holding on to the reins of government in any way they can. They know that Chrisitian Conservatives will go to war, vote to cut back needed help to the non-believers, and do anything their pulpit-pariahs tell them to. I've been to a few of their rallies and if you think Hitler & Goebels knew how to stir up a crowd, you ain't seen anything.

Remember... Jesus DID talk hillbilly....!

16. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

Got room on your couch?
    [post=329701]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Plenty :)

But I misread you for a second there! which was a good laugh. :p

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Plenty :)

But I misread you for a second there! which was a good laugh. :p
    [post=330072]Quoted post[/post]​