Just been circumcised - need some advice

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I nursed a friend through his post circumcision months. His physician provided him with an analgesic/disinfectant spray which he needed to use at least 6 times a day and especially if he ever started to get an erection. It completely numbed the head of his dick for at least a half hour. He also bled off and on for four or five weeks with stitches that did not automatically dissolve. He had to have them removed.

I'd go back to your doc and check up on this circumcision thing. He's the expert and possibly you can get a prescription for the stuff my friend used. It was kind of like a cross between Bactine and Lidocaine mixed with Freon. (I'm sure it WASN'T Freon, but I tried it and it definitely kept the head of my dick numb for about an hour.)

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

Damian Walker

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hi Aqua666,

I was circumcised nearly 5 years ago so I thought I might be able to offer some reassurance on what you're experiencing. Of course, you should see the surgeon who performed the circumcision but other members of this forum may not realise that that is not as easy as it sounds. Seeing a consultant surgeon in the UK is not like walking into a private doctor's office. Getting an appointment takes weeks and that is of little help in your situation. (I mention this for the benefit of other readers). Also most GPs in the UK are against circumcision and unless he/she is Jewish or Muslim, will have little experience with it. It is unlikely that our friend here will get much help from his GP who he has described as "shit" anyway.

Swelling is inevitable with circumcision at any age and when done as an adult, it can take a long time to fully resolve. It is not at all uncommon for large amounts of lymphatic fluid to build up round the wound which will seep out over the course of 3 or 4 weeks. This was my experience exactly. Sometimes, the build up of fluid can be greater on one side leading to the Quasimodo effect you describe. Again, this should be expected. If you had the frenulum excised as well, then you should expect this area to swell much more than the rest of your penis and it will generally take longer to heal.

Bleeding, however, should not continue beyond the first week. A couple of my stitches popped 4 days after my circumcision because of the swelling and this resulted in quite a bit of bleeding. It was more frightening than dangerous - you just don't expect to see a large blood stain on a bandage when you go for a pee! But with gentle application of pressure, I was able to stem the flow and by the time I saw the surgeon the following day (mine was done privately) all was fine. I had no further incidence of bleeding. Bleeding itself does not make a wound vulnerable to infection, but you do need to be careful because if it happened in your sleep, you wouldn't be able to do anything to stop it.

Are you dressing the wound at the moment? Perhaps applying a light compression bandage would help to keep things secure. I found this to be beneficial in reducing the swelling as well. I had residual swelling for 5 months which I later found out is not that unusual so don't be surprised if it persists. You may also look into using a non-stick dressing against the wound. This absorbs lymph and blood away from the wound, helping to keep it dry which hastens scab formation and healing.

I've had a look in your gallery and you were right to have yourself circumcised. Do not regret that decision. This is just a stage you have to pass through and I am certain you will turn the corner soon. Hope this message will help.

Aqua666

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hey thanks guys, I'm really, really greatful for all your advice. The account Damian Walker's given above sounds pretty similar to what's going on with me. No more bleeding, thankfully, but some lymphatic fluid. The swelling has also gone down a hell of a lot since last week when I posted. I'm still going to get it checked as soon as possible, just in case. If I can't get to a urologist, I'll probally go to St Mary's Hospital, as MarkLondon suggested above.

Aqua666

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I nursed a friend through his post circumcision months. His physician provided him with an analgesic/disinfectant spray which he needed to use at least 6 times a day and especially if he ever started to get an erection. It completely numbed the head of his dick for at least a half hour. He also bled off and on for four or five weeks with stitches that did not automatically dissolve. He had to have them removed.

I'd go back to your doc and check up on this circumcision thing. He's the expert and possibly you can get a prescription for the stuff my friend used. It was kind of like a cross between Bactine and Lidocaine mixed with Freon. (I'm sure it WASN'T Freon, but I tried it and it definitely kept the head of my dick numb for about an hour.)

Good luck. Hope all goes well.

That dick-numbing stuff sounds good - I'll ask my doctor or whoever about that, as at the moment erections are certainly not my friend!