Just Saw B.Obama's Speech

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
from the foregoing posts, does everybody see how the same event is subject to different interpretations, based on pre-existent perspectives?

Exactly ... the importance of the speech is not what it did for ardent Obama-ites, or ardent Clinton-ites, but for the millions of middle of the road voters. From what the polls are saying, it has hurt Obama, since he is now running about equal to McCain in general elections polls (and does about as well as HRC does against McCain in those polls).

If this is how heated things are getting in March, it is going to be a loooong election season. It makes me believe, as I stated before, that there needs to be a massive overhaul of the primary system.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Actually, I'd say Wright hurt Obama and the speech put him back over (in the polls).

And honestly, something this big coming early in the season either means two things. We're going to get slammed with something way worse OR this is the worst...and it's smooth sailing from here.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
from the foregoing posts, does everybody see how the same event is subject to different interpretations, based on pre-existent perspectives?

That is the reality and the problem. Well spoken by a well centered individual. You are not a pro-Obama nut like a lot of us, but you have the right take on the situation and your posts have been moderate and informative. Someone like you makes me stop and consider my own stance on a subject with your balanced views and kind form of posting. They don't make em' like you very often Nick444.

I am sorry for being so flippin' angry in this thread. Racist people have just been raised by racist parents in a racist household, being fed a racist diet of lies and misinterpretations. They don't have any choice to be racist like I didn't have any choice but to feel the pain of the downtrodden and to root for the underdog, 'cause that's how that I was raised. I happen to think that my side is the correct one, but I am not the judge of humanity and shouldn't cast stones. I just don't know what to do with their twisted thinking... I wanna eradicate it and stamp it out, but I can't. I feel helpless and lost in this country.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That is the reality and the problem. Well spoken by a well centered individual. You are not a pro-Obama nut like a lot of us, but you have the right take on the situation and your posts have been moderate and informative. Someone like you makes me stop and consider my own stance on a subject with your balanced views and kind form of posting. They don't make em' like you very often Nick444.

I am sorry for being so flippin' angry in this thread. Racist people have just been raised by racist parents in a racist household, being fed a racist diet of lies and misinterpretations. They don't have any choice to be racist like I didn't have any choice but to feel the pain of the downtrodden and to root for the underdog, 'cause that's how that I was raised. I happen to think that my side is the correct one, but I am not the judge of humanity and shouldn't cast stones. I just don't know what to do with their twisted thinking... I wanna eradicate it and stamp it out, but I can't. I feel helpless and lost in this country.

Hun,

YOu dont need to apologize for a thing. I am glad you are just the way you are.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Rev. Wright and the Trinity Church do not embody the political tradition of the African American church. Rev. Wright and Trinity Church does not represent the Black Church or any preacher I've ever known. I've been a member of Predominantly African American Churches and never has a preacher gone to extent of Wright's profanity as a Man of God, the level of outlandish fabrications of the truth and utter Unamericanism. Never.

My pastors have certainly spoken to the congregation as a family and could have made white church goers bristle at the mention of white racism faced by Blacks. My pastors have certainly called on America to be the America defined in the Constitution...but never has a Pastor stated that Aids was created to genocide African Americans. Never has a pastor made statements about 9/11 like the ones stated by Wright. Never has a Paster writhed in the pulpit while disgracefully commenting on sex acts. Never has a Pastor used foul mouth profanity s*hit, bulls*hit, God Damn America in the pulpit.

Rev. Wright may be radical politically and he may harken to a 1960's movement against oppression, however his wrong beliefs do not represent by any means the majority of African American churches and what they believe. Rev. Wright is as far as you can get on the spectrum of "radicalism." I wouldn't call it radicalism because it gives a bad name to being radical. It borders on fanaticism.

Martin Luther King used love to drive out hate. Martin Luther King used light to drive out darkness. You can not preach hate and expect to stop hatred. Martin Luther King would not preach in a church that forwarded the type of messages that Rev. Wright is preaching and he would not be a member of a church like that either. That is not the legacy of Martin Luther King. The very nature of MLK's message is for America to be the America described in the Constitution...to live up to those words Obama loves to quote. If America claims every man is created equal then abolish Jim Crowe laws. Martin Luther King was not screaming God Damn America. Martin Luther King was screaming I have a dream of what America can be...and it involved Blacks and Whites, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics holding hands.

To answer some questions: Yes. If Obama is who he claims to be he would have to explain that not leaving the church was either a mistake or admit he that should have spoken up and made a difference to show his Mentor and the high-fiving congregation the way they should go to transcend race. Either way, I couldn't vote for him for President. It shows a lack of judgment. I do not believe he is ready. It shows he wants to be President and has everything down pat that he should say, but doesn't know who he really is. Will it affect his ability to govern? Yes, it will affect Obama's ability to govern. Obama already states he wants to sit down with our enemies. I have little faith in his ability to read important situations and I little faith that he possesses the commonsense to know how,when or what to do in reaction to them. Does Obama share his pastor's views? Yes, to some extent he does. By Obama's own admission he states his Grandmother represents "the typical white person." Obama seems to have absorbed some of Wrights view of race. If you are asking whether Obama believes the conspiracy theories on 9/11 and Aids or the distasteful remarks about his opponent? It is not for the Voter to try and use ESP to learn or to even guess...It is for Obama to first actually be who he says he is and prove that to the American People. This relationship with Wright and membership in the church and subsequent speech and answers only cause voters to have more questions about Obama.

This debate is not here solely to divide us. Racism was already here. Obama asserted that race through his candidancy could be transcended and was brought back to earth when we saw the reality of a smudge evident in his own political image.

As for examining the true realities of Race Relations...we have yet to do that in this election and particularly with Obama. It has been clouded by nonsense with Rev. Wright and Obama's image. We have not truly talked about what African Americans face and how many are embarassed by the filth that Wright would wish to associate with them. This is not about Obama. This is about the people.

Whites do not need to swallow something clearly wrong to begin to understand African American discontent. The American people do not need to give Obama a pass for his lack of judgment in order to understand Race Relations in this country. That is an insult to Martin Luther King, a man who marched and died to stand for something else.

If Obama cared so much about and understood so well about African Americans and Race Relations in this Country then Obama would have attended the State of the Black Union last month instead of choosing not to attend. Every important Black intellectual, political or otherwise was in attendance except for him. Obama was formally asked to attend as a Presidential Candidate. Obama declined. Hillary Clinton attended.

amhersthungboi

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
OR this is the worst...and it's smooth sailing from here.

Probably unlikely ... McCain won't play with this, but sure as hell some PACs will pick up this thread in the general election.

Had an interesting conversation today about the campaign with another Dem. Our sad conclusion was that both candidates may be too damaged to be able to put up a strong fight against McCain in the fall. HRC has her baggage from decades in the public eye, and, for a newcomer, Obama certainly seems to be stepping in every quagmire he can find.

Another solution to the whole dilemma, and one that is inelegant, anti-democratic, but could work for the Dems is to nominate neither Obama nor HRC, if it looks as though each has been too wounded from the process. It isn't an oft-talked about solution, but it is possible a third party -- like a Gore -- could step in and say "nope, neither of you", and try to make a persuasive argument to the delegates. How likely is this to happen? Immeasurably small, and very improbable ... however, given the divisiveness of this contest, perhaps rallying around someone un-sullied by this campaign would be best?

chavous

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
He lost my vote. Rev, Wright is just too scary! So full of hate. He hates white people, hispanic people. It is everyone eleses fault.

playainda336

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
So whities fair game? Come on he didn't say anything about the spics!
When they came for me there was no one left.
Honestly, the things Rev. Wright said applied to the people that they applied to. I don't think he was simply talking bad about all White people. Just White people who do bad things.

And no...White's are not fair game.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So whities fair game? Come on he didn't say anything about the spics!
When they came for me there was no one left.

You are damn right that "Whitey" is fair game... he invented the loathesome game... now he can experience a turnaround or... God forbid... FAIR PLAY!!