Just watched the first political party broadcast. second part. (UK)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by D_Helmer Heighballs, Apr 24, 2010.

1. D_Helmer Heighballs

D_Helmer Heighballs New Member

erm can someone clarify this for me.

if were in Afghanistan to protect Britain. How is it that we were only attacked in 2007, after we began 2 wars which have no end in sight.
    also the previous attack on british soil before 2007, was in 94 or 95 in Manchester by the IRA, ireland being another nation we invaded.

it seems to me that we first invade nations and then when they attack us we are in that country to protect our people.

Perhaps if we stopped invading countries and exerting our physical and political presence in other peoples country then they wouldnt want to attack us.

the argument that afghanistan attacked america is totally wrong, it is like saying if Timothy mcveghy (Omaha bombing) took sanctuary in a church, without asking for it, christianity attacked america.

also there was no investigation into 9/11 prior to invasion. so basically we were like a bunch of pissed off toddlers attacking the first person we saw after what happened.

Thoughts please.

written by a PEACE loving brit.

2. 123scotty

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    yes got to agree but if you attack someone and blame them quick. it stops all those pesky questions like WHY did it happen.

3. Jason

Gold Member

I struggle to know why we are in Afghanistan. If we had stayed out of the illegal war in Iraq (and subsequently at least thrown Blair and his cabinet into prison as war criminals) we probably would not have the problems we now do. Afghanistan seems largely an extension of Iraq. It might be legal but it isn't nice, we can't win it, and we need to get out asap.

The comparisonn made with Ireland doesn't hold. England was invaded by the Normans in 1066, and their heirs still rule. A few years later the Normans made their first invasion of Scotland. The twelfth century invasions of Wales and Ireland were predominantly Norman adventures. The invasion of Ireland (1189) was launched from Wales with Norman comanders and mostly Welsh troops, with a French-speaking Norman king of England declaring himself king of Ireland. The late mediaeval Norman expansion in the British Isles is hard to justify, but it is (1) late mediaeval and (2) Norman. The UK can reasonably be castigated for recent invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. England cannot reasonably be castigated for mediaeval invasions of Ireland by Normans.

4. D_Helmer Heighballs

D_Helmer Heighballs New Member

jason i agree completely. those days were different. the comparison for invasion cannot be made.
    but consider the demonisation and ill treatment of the irish right up until about the 90's.
    heck the british had internment camps to british-ize the irish towards the 80's.

another point for consideration is we effectively destroyed all of the now very fucked middle east governments by sanctions, is it really that surprising that a bunch of nut jobs got in control when we pretty much castrated them from civilised society.

peace.

5. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

The thing that pisses me off with the Defence budget is the need for an army is deminishing. We have a nuke. More than enough for any foe. The army should be retrained for emergancy and Aid missions. Its one of the reasons ill probs vote Greens this election.

The BNP wanna double the defence budget but pull out of Afgahistan and not invade Iran. Apart from killing Blacks, Muslims, Poles, Latin Americans, Gays, Gypsies and Jews, anyone have an idea why?

6. Jason

Gold Member

The BNP are beyond understanding - easiest not to even try.

We already have nuclear weapons which could do damage almost beyond imagination. Quite why we think we need a new and updated and very expensive new lot is a concept I can't get my head round.

And yes we've made a mess of the Middle East. A little while ago I tried to get funding for an educational project in Iraq. There is so little UK/EU/other funding available that it is effectively zero. We can bomb the country but cannot find tiny sums of money for restructuring the mess we have created.

Draft saved Draft deleted