Karadzic Trial?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cock23, Oct 27, 2009.

1. cock23

cock23 New Member

I'm surprised that no one has made a post about this yet as there has been a flurry of media attention about this-and the Yugoslav wars as a whole-over the past few days, and the attention is set to continue as the trial proceedes and all the gory details of the war emerge.
    So I was wondering what your views on it-and the whole Balkan situation as a whole-are?

As a native born Bosnian I will obviously have quite strong views on this, but I'd like to hear other people's first before I post mine. :smile:

2. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Karadzic says he did nothing wrong but it hardly looks good when he hid for so long (to evade justice?) and some associates have confessed to their own involvements already.

As for the Balkan situation, it depends which area of the Former Yugoslavia we are talking about. Croatia is coming along just nicely it appears whereas there is conflicting interests between Serbia and Kosovo. It is progressing well overall tho right?

3. SR_Blarney_Frank

SR_Blarney_Frank New Member

I'm actually not surprised nobody has posted since the scope here tends to rarely get past the latest lame talking points from one or either American political party.

But yeah Karadzic seems to have that same streak of crazy that every indicted war criminal has (representing himself, failing to show up to court, etc). I have no idea what kind of evidence has been gathered but Karadzic is claiming that the bodies at Srebenica were all military and that no massacre occurred. That contradicts plenty of eyewitnesses and I'd imagine any forensic evidence could easily prove or disprove his statement.

#3 SR_Blarney_Frank, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
  5. cock23

cock23 New Member

Is it progressing well? The short anwser to that one is a big no.
    Out of all the ex-Yugoslav states only Slovenia has managed to achieve a status as a stable, developed country with living standards and services on a par with those in Western Europe. Croatia is rapidly getting there, but it still has some major issues ( there is still ethnic tension in Serb dominated areas, there is alleged government corruption, issues with mafia gangs and foreign relations with Serbia are still very strained, and not great with Slovenia either as the Slovenes are seen by the Croatian government as blocking their entry into the EU).

But the rest of the Balkans? I would say it couldn't get much worse at the moment! Bosnia & Herzegovina has issues with a huge amount of government corruption (it is easily THE most corrupt of the ex-Yugoslav states), ethnic tensions are still very strained and there is massive unemployment (45% and rising!). My hometown (Mostar) has not had a mayor for 13 months(!!!) because the different groups cannot agree who to elect, so the city has no stable budget or governing system as a result.
    Serbia also has problems with government corruption and is currently politically isolated from the rest of the world which prevents any big investment and trade deals with foreign countries, while Montengro is also facing corruption problems (a bit of a pattern here, no?) and high uneployment rates, coupled with abysmal relations with Serbia who see them as traitors for declaring independence (Montenegrin students have been barred from attending Serbian universities, among other things).
    And Kosovo....well, I don't need to say anything for that one!

At the moment it seems as if hes gone past the point of completely denying that any atrocities or massacres occured. Instead hes now insisting that he knew nothing about what was going on and had absolutely nothing to do with any alleged war crimes. (Fat chance!)

I think the main evidence presented will be what occured in the Bosnian Serb controlled area during the war (which Karadzic was a self declared leader of). Basically, every settlement which fell to the Serbs had a self declared "crisis committee" set up within it-which was usually made up of radical Serb nationalists. These people then employed the local police and pretty much anyone else who was willing to participate, and once the settlement was fully under their control they went on a campaign to either kill or deport every non-Serb in the area. The prosecution's task will therefore be to link Karadzic to these activities. The following article is a pretty good overview of the kind of things the crisis committees organised: http://www.usna.edu/Users/history/tucker/hh367/ButcheryattheBridge.htm

Draft saved Draft deleted