karma and rebirth

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_tallbig, Nov 10, 2007.

?

what do youy guys think of karma and rebirth

1. i think is true

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. i think it could be true but iam not sure

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. i dont believe in karma and rebirth

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. i dont know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

after making a thread about buddism i forgot to ask what do you guys thing about karma and rebirth?

2. scorpiokc

scorpiokc New Member

believe in karma, definitely. rebirth, iffy, but maybe. don't know why it has to be all or nothing, so i couldn't answer the poll.

3. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

well iam talking from buddism point of view and how you believe in karma and not or maybe in rebirth? the karma idea dont make sense without multiple lives

4. the_reverend

Gold Member

i believe in it. not necessarily in the sense that if you do "bad things" to get "bad karma" you're reincarnated as an insect or something (the kind of thinking that led to the injustices of the caste system in India), but that there are cosmic consequences to our actions...the state of our incarnation is not so much a punishment or reward as it is a lesson. it's all about the preparation and progression of the soul, moving towards eventual enlightenment and return to the divine source from which we all spring...

...so from a certain perspective, since we're all just elements of the same divine energy/consciousness experiencing itself, reincarnation is little more than being reborn as ourselves. ;)

5. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

One of the dumber ideas to come from religion, and that says a lot.

6. SereneBlue

SereneBlue New Member

I have always had the suspicion that Karma was invented to try to answer the existence of Evil. Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do evil people prosper?

There's something in human nature I think that rebels at the thought that evil goes unpunished along with the fact that it often prospers and that needed to be accounted for. So the desire for Justice and Equity created the demand for a mechanism to account for it. Hence the idea of Karma arose.

7. the_reverend

Gold Member

how so?

8. avg_joe

Gold Member

I believe in Buddhism, Karma, rebirth, and reincarnation.

9. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

How is it one of the dumber things or how does it say a lot?

Well, I'd be hard pressed to prove the first point, as there are so many dumb ideas to have come from religion and it's hard to rank their dumbness on a qualitative scale, so you'll just have to accept that as my personal opinion.

As for how it says a lot... well... as I already mentioned... there are so many dumb ideas to have come from religion. You're not one of those people who believes that ALL religions are true, do you? You probably accept whatever dumb things are in Buddhism or Christianity because that's your background... but do you also believe that the world was formed from the body of the Ice Giant Ymir? do you also believe that all of humanity's problems come from body thetans trapped on Earth by galactic Emporer Xenu? do you also believe that through castration and mass suicide you, too can join Jesus on his spaceship as he flies by disguised by comet Hale-Bopp? do you also believe that Native Americans were originally an Israeli tribe banished to the Americas by God who turned their skin red as punishment? do you also believe that there is a kami (spirit) living inside the dirty sock on the floor next to me? this list is virtually endless I could go on for 15 pages...

10. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    (I believe that half the cock pictures at LSPG are actually 6 or 7 or sometimes 20 inch aliens visiting from another planet.) :eek:

lighten up, jeez

Flame me if you will, but it's rude to say "dumb this" and "dumb" that. Debate students in high school do a better job.

11. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

dumb

12. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

can you please elaborate or explain why do you think is dump the idea of karma and rebirth?

13. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Ive been practicing Buddism for 3 years therefore i believe in re-incarnation

14. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

cool . what school mayahana or theravada?

15. Mr._dB

Mr._dB New Member

I believe that it's another fairy tale created by man, with no evidence to support it.

16. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love you too.

17. B_Monster

B_Monster New Member

Its Nichiren Buddism in the US and Soka Gakkai International, do you practice?

18. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

iam learning about buddism and so far mayahana zen buddism is the most attractive school to me

i have read tons of buddhist book and practice meditation too since about 3 years

19. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Not all Buddhists believe in rebirth.
    In Japan, many people who call themselves Buddhists have given up that aspect of their spiritual heritage.
    I practice at a monastery where we never speak of rebirth and certain teachers have expressed great scepticism about it.
    I personally don't believe in it.
    We do still have a notion of 'karma,' but we define it simply as the momentum of tendency ... the way in which all our patterns of perception, judgment, feeling, our sense of 'self' (which is entirely patterned), and a host of other things, present themselves.
    The mindfulness meditation which is the fundamental Buddhist practice (in, I think, pretty much all traditions) helps to break up these patterns and allow one to step into the present moment.
    Those relatively pattern-free moments are intensely rich ... well worth the effort of doing the practice, even if one has relinquished the notion that the practice will give the biggest of big payoffs -- an improvement of one's 'karma' (by the classical definition) and of one's prospects for a gratifying rebirth.

20. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

That's a branch of Mahayana, Monster.

Draft saved Draft deleted