Kate steinle

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ate-steinle-and-the-rise-of-donald-trump.html

This is a pretty long article (as internet articles go), but it's a good read (if you start it, you'll want to finish it because the perception of what reads like a clear-cut situation changes drastically once the actual facts are made available).

Anyways, it's one of those cases where Sexism and Racism intersect, and tragically, one where the people who bear culpability in this woman's death will never face any charges (or even have their role in it brought to the forefront of public discussion).

This woman is not only dead, but her memory is being violated by politicians attempting to misuse and misrepresent the circumstances for political gain.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Kate’s Law and the No Sanctuary for Criminals Act are now headed to the Senate, where Democrats likely hold enough votes to block their final passage. Sen. Al Franken, a member of the judiciary committee that will take up these bills, told me the GOP’s exploitation of the Steinle case and others like it goes back to Trump’s initial campaign announcement. “It bothers me the way that this [case] is used to attack” undocumented immigrants, he said. “The first thing in [the president’s] announcement speech was ‘they’re rapists and murderers.’ I think there is a kind of hateful appeal to xenophobia in all of this. I think we have to not reward that.”

Franken 2020.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
This is the kind of thing that just fucks with my head too hard. I just don't understand how it is that I know people, Women who voted for Trump, and claim they don't regret their decision. They fell for the fear-mongering.

I only wish I could say I would have never thought it could be as fucked up as it is... but I saw this kind of tragedy coming. And I'm sure it won't be the only example of how much of a POS this administration is.

Her father, I just wanna give him a hug, but I know he doesn't want one from me :( He wants one from Kate.

Fuck.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Who are these people?

"a .40-caliber SIG Sauer semi-automatic pistol was stolen from a car belonging to a Bureau of Land Management ranger. The gun was allegedly left loaded and unsecured—a violation of agency policy—in a backpack in the car"

Kate Steinle died as a result of an accidental shooting from a gun that should have been neither loaded nor unsecured. The land management ranger created the circumstances that led to Steinle's death as much as any parent who's left a loaded firearm laying around the house where a toddler gets access to it.

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
Kate Steinle died as a result of an accidental shooting from a gun that should have been neither loaded nor unsecured. The land management ranger created the circumstances that led to Steinle's death as much as any parent who's left a loaded firearm laying around the house where a toddler gets access to it.

The ranger certainly bears some culpability due to negligence.

Your analogy, however, falls apart at the bold.

This was not a toddler. This was a grown-ass man.

This grown-ass man is a lifetime fuck-up.

This grown-ass man stole a firearm and, at best, proceeded to be a complete idiot with it.

When you add in the fact that he had absolutely no business being in this country by this point in time, it's not as cut and dried as you make it sound.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The ranger certainly bears some culpability due to negligence.

Your analogy, however, falls apart at the bold.

This was not a toddler. This was a grown-ass man.

This grown-ass man is a lifetime fuck-up.

This grown-ass man stole a firearm and, at best, proceeded to be a complete idiot with it.

When you add in the fact that he had absolutely no business being in this country by this point in time, it's not as cut and dried as you make it sound.

All evidence suggests that it was an accidental discharge. The gun was left loaded and wrapped up inside a rag. The bullet which was fired hit the ground a very short distance from the feet of the man who picked it up, ricocheted off the pavement, and struck a woman who was almost 100 feet away.

Is the guy a grown adult drug addict fuck up who shouldn't have been breaking into cars? Yes, absolutely. But the point is that casting this as a homicide is imbecilic and being done for political purposes. The narrative the GOP is presenting is of a cold blooded illegal immigrant serial killer wandering the city looking for white women to shoot. The truth is of a druggie breaking into a car looking for money to fuel a habit and accidentally discharging a loaded firearm that was stored in the vehicle in an unsafe manner. Kate Steinle's death was a tragic accident.

The way the gun was stowed, it was a risk to even people who might've had legal reason to break into the vehicle (if the fire department needed to break into it for example, as they sometimes do for fire hydrant access. Not to mention the two times in my life where I've accidentally opened up other's cars with my own car keys (once was the same make/model/color at a mall parklng lot, the other time was a friends' car at their house).

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
All evidence suggests that it was an accidental discharge. The gun was left loaded and wrapped up inside a rag. The bullet which was fired hit the ground a very short distance from the feet of the man who picked it up, ricocheted off the pavement, and struck a woman who was almost 100 feet away.

Is the guy a grown adult drug addict fuck up who shouldn't have been breaking into cars? Yes, absolutely. But the point is that casting this as a homicide is imbecilic and being done for political purposes. The narrative the GOP is presenting is of a cold blooded illegal immigrant serial killer wandering the city looking for white women to shoot. The truth is of a druggie breaking into a car looking for money to fuel a habit and accidentally discharging a loaded firearm that was stored in the vehicle in an unsafe manner. Kate Steinle's death was a tragic accident.

The way the gun was stowed, it was a risk to even people who might've had legal reason to break into the vehicle (if the fire department needed to break into it for example, as they sometimes do for fire hydrant access. Not to mention the two times in my life where I've accidentally opened up other's cars with my own car keys (once was the same make/model/color at a mall parklng lot, the other time was a friends' car at their house).
Your account conflicts significantly with this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kathryn_Steinle

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but the discrepancies make for completely different situations.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Your account conflicts significantly with this one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Kathryn_Steinle

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, but the discrepancies make for completely different situations.

Does it? It has the same key points... that the gun was improperly stowed and loaded in the vehicle, that a ballistics expert testified that the bullet was shot into the pavement, ricocheted, and struck Kate Steinle, that this guy stole the gun from the vehicle, etc.

There is a 3 day gap between the time the gun was stolen and the shooting, so for sure it's not that it went off while he was removing it from the car. He removed it and had it on his person. He was already a convicted felon, and for sure was not supposed to be in possession of a firearm.

There's still nothing to suggest it was more than an accidental shooting though. Her father who was right there when it happened is pursuing civil charges as negligent homicide (that this guy had no intent or attempt to kill his daughter, but did so through gross negligence). He's also suing the bureau of land management for their role in it.

I'm not saying what this guy did isn't criminal, it very clearly is. I'm just saying it's not intentional murder (which is how its being portrayed by the GOP).

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media

It sounds like you place more blame for the outcome on the ranger, rather than the guy that broke into the car, stole the gun and pulled the trigger.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It sounds like you place more blame for the outcome on the ranger, rather than the guy that broke into the car, stole the gun and pulled the trigger.

If it's read a certain way I guess it could The "blame" which is behind the posting of the thread is on the GOP mischaracterizing this tragedy over the objections of the victim's family in order to try to advance certain pieces of legislation. That's what prompted me to post the thread, not the sense that the ranger is escaping justice (he's not, the family is suing the government agency that employs him).

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Does it? It has the same key points... that the gun was improperly stowed and loaded in the vehicle, that a ballistics expert testified that the bullet was shot into the pavement, ricocheted, and struck Kate Steinle, that this guy stole the gun from the vehicle, etc.

There is a 3 day gap between the time the gun was stolen and the shooting, so for sure it's not that it went off while he was removing it from the car. He removed it and had it on his person. He was already a convicted felon, and for sure was not supposed to be in possession of a firearm.

There's still nothing to suggest it was more than an accidental shooting though. Her father who was right there when it happened is pursuing civil charges as negligent homicide (that this guy had no intent or attempt to kill his daughter, but did so through gross negligence). He's also suing the bureau of land management for their role in it.

I'm not saying what this guy did isn't criminal, it very clearly is. I'm just saying it's not intentional murder (which is how its being portrayed by the GOP).

Where does the wiki account state the pistol was improperly stowed? It also doesn't mention that the shooter stole it from the vehicle. It appears there is no way to conclusively prove this, as no forensic investigation was performed on the vehicle. He stated that he found it under a park bench.

In what way was the pistol stowed?

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
The "blame" which is behind the posting of the thread is on the GOP mischaracterizing this tragedy over the objections of the victim's family in order to try to advance certain pieces of legislation..

And this is their MO.

Both major parties have been guilty of politicizing tragedy to gain influence... but in my lifetime I've definitely noticed that this occurs more often on the right, and they tend to bend the facts to fit their agenda more often and in cruel, compassionate-less ways. I recall the doctored P.P. tapes... just one example that popped into my mind.

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
could The "blame" which is behind the posting of the thread is on the GOP mischaracterizing this tragedy over the objections of the victim's family in order to try to advance certain pieces of legislation.

True.

Still, immigration in this country is beyond fucked up.

Sanctuary cities are not the answer, and the circumstances of how the dude that killed Steinle was even in a position to do so are a relevant example of why.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sanctuary cities are not the answer

Sanctuary cities are not phrased as a solution to illegal immigration. They're phrased as a solution to local crime and disorder.

Illegal immigrants become fearful of calling police to act on witnessed crimes when they are afraid that can result in their deportation. Sanctuary city laws are meant to address that, not to address immigration (which is the Federal government's job).

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
Sanctuary cities are not phrased as a solution to illegal immigration. They're phrased as a solution to local crime and disorder.

That's how it is phrased, but let's be honest...

It's basically local governments giving a FU to the notion of "illegal immigration".

Illegal immigrants become fearful of calling police to act on witnessed crimes when they are afraid that can result in their deportation.

I understand that, but that's kinda the bed you make when you sneak into someone else's home.

Don't break the law with the expectation that your consequences will be non-shitty.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Where does the wiki account state the pistol was improperly stowed? It also doesn't mention that the shooter stole it from the vehicle. It appears there is no way to conclusively prove this, as no forensic investigation was performed on the vehicle. He stated that he found it under a park bench.

In what way was the pistol stowed?
@TexanStar I was hoping you'd address this.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
That's how it is phrased, but let's be honest...

It's basically local governments giving a FU to the notion of "illegal immigration".

I understand that, but that's kinda the bed you make when you sneak into someone else's home.

Don't break the law with the expectation that your consequences will be non-shitty.

I think you took some talking points and put them through the spin cycle a few times before you started posting...