Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
How are these talking points?

It's just general common sense...

I could swear I heard someone say those things (not word for word, but pretty much) before you posted them... perhaps a clip from Fox "News". They're talking point central.

If there's one thing I've learned in my time on this planet, there's nothing common about sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexanStar

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@TexanStar I was hoping you'd address this.

Address what?

"The gun used by Sánchez had been stolen in downtown San Francisco from a Bureau of Land Management officer's personal vehicle on June 27, 2015, according to the Bureau of Land Management.[2] The car's window had been broken"

That's from your own wiki.

Here's additional info about this: http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...n-blm-gun-in-familys-suit-against-government/

Since this tragedy, law is enacted in CA making it illegal to leave an unsecured weapon in the car. Prior to that, it was department policy, not law.

The judge has already ruled that the lawsuit can go forward and that the ranger had a responsibility to secure the weapon: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/...suit-over-stolen-federal-gun-will-go-forward/

"Leaving “a loaded gun in a backpack visible on the seat of an unattended vehicle in San Francisco ―create foreseeable risk of harm,” the judge wrote. The Bureau of Land Management “ranger therefore had a duty to better secure his handgun against theft.”"

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's how it is phrased, but let's be honest...

It's basically local governments giving a FU to the notion of "illegal immigration".

Weird, the forum ate my reply.

If this were the case, it wouldn't be supported by police departments and police departments wouldn't be taking a hand in the crafting of this legislation.

Police departments support sanctuary laws because sanctuary laws bring the crime rate down.

I understand that, but that's kinda the bed you make when you sneak into someone else's home.

Don't break the law with the expectation that your consequences will be non-shitty.

It's nice that you can sit back and be smug about illegal immigrants getting what they deserve, but I have to live here. On balance, I'd prefer less rapes, thefts, murders, drugs, etc on the streets of my own city to your getting to flip off people with brown skin.

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
I could swear I heard someone say those things (not word for word, but pretty much) before you posted them... perhaps a clip from Fox "News". They're talking point central.

If there's one thing I've learned in my time on this planet, there's nothing common about sense.

Dudette, I wouldn't know as I don't watch Fox "News".

If you don't consider Don't break the law with the expectation that your consequences will be non-shitty to be common sense, I guess we are done here :)

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

If you don't consider Don't break the law with the expectation that your consequences will be non-shitty to be common sense, I guess we are done here :)

There's nothing common sense about this at all.

Do you want Ciudad Juarez on our side of the border? Because attitudes like this are how you get ciudad Juarez on this side of the border.

If you have such a hardon for lawlessness and disorder, I can recommend a number of Mexican border towns you might find appealing.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Address what?

"The gun used by Sánchez had been stolen in downtown San Francisco from a Bureau of Land Management officer's personal vehicle on June 27, 2015, according to the Bureau of Land Management.[2] The car's window had been broken"

That's from your own wiki.

Here's additional info about this: http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12/...n-blm-gun-in-familys-suit-against-government/

Since this tragedy, law is enacted in CA making it illegal to leave an unsecured weapon in the car. Prior to that, it was department policy, not law.

The judge has already ruled that the lawsuit can go forward and that the ranger had a responsibility to secure the weapon: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/01/...suit-over-stolen-federal-gun-will-go-forward/

"Leaving “a loaded gun in a backpack visible on the seat of an unattended vehicle in San Francisco ―create foreseeable risk of harm,” the judge wrote. The Bureau of Land Management “ranger therefore had a duty to better secure his handgun against theft.”"
Address how?
-I was asking how any connection was made to conclude the shooter stole it versus his statement in the Wiki that he had found it under a park bench.
-I was asking how it was stowed.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
-I was asking how any connection was made to conclude the shooter stole it versus his statement in the Wiki that he had found it under a park bench.

Ah, you are correct, the druggie's claim is that he found it wrapped in a t-shirt, under a park bench.

It was stowed loaded, in a backpack, unattended, in the ranger's vehicle. This was against department policy (and is now against the law as well as a result of this incident).

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it. The use of the word 'perhaps' wasn't meant as sarcasm. However, your writings still ring of conservative leaning talking points. That's just why the first example that popped into my head was Fox, they're the worst offenders of promoting that kind of rhetoric.

Of course people who break the law expect the shitty consequences. Well, people who aren't complete morons like our president...

How many undocumented immigrants do you know? I know more than a few. I live very close to the border. I know what these people are running from. I know why they come here. I've worked with more then a few. Some are even part of my family. They expect shitty consequences. But you know what? They're willing to risk it for the potential of a better life.

How common is that sense for ya?

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Ah, you are correct, the druggie's claim is that he found it wrapped in a t-shirt, under a park bench.

It was stowed loaded, in a backpack, unattended, in the ranger's vehicle. This was against department policy (and is now against the law as well as a result of this incident).
What's the "safe" approved procedure?

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Reactions: MisterB

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
It's nice that you can sit back and be smug about illegal immigrants getting what they deserve, but I have to live here. On balance, I'd prefer less rapes, thefts, murders, drugs, etc on the streets of my own city to your getting to flip off people with brown skin.

Wow.

1. Why do you classify a person simply stating the reality that there are consequences when you are caught breaking the law as "smug"?

2. When did I say anything about brown? If you're French-Canadian and you sneak in, suck on the public teat, act like a complete asshole and get caught, your ass should get shipped the fuck out too.

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it. The use of the word 'perhaps' wasn't meant as sarcasm. However, your writings still ring of conservative leaning talking points. That's just why the first example that popped into my head was Fox, they're the worst offenders of promoting that kind of rhetoric.

Um, Ok? I was just saying it didn't come from Fox.

I'm actually a pretty liberal guy overall. However, when you get into income brackets where you claim 0, yet still pay a few thousand at tax time, you start thinking about where the fuck all your money is going

Of course people who break the law expect the shitty consequences.

Generally, yes, but it doesn't seem like that's the case for immigration law.

Seems like people expect to break it, maybe get a slap on the wrist, and carry on with their lives.

How many undocumented immigrants do you know? I know more than a few. I live very close to the border. I know what these people are running from. I know why they come here. I've worked with more then a few. Some are even part of my family. They expect shitty consequences. But you know what? They're willing to risk it for the potential of a better life.

How common is that sense for ya?

I don't understand what that has to do with anything? There is a legal way to immigrate.

If you want to circumvent that process, go ahead and roll the dice. If you get caught, you could get sent back. I don't understand why that concept is controversial?

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Um, Ok? I was just saying it didn't come from Fox.

I'm actually a pretty liberal guy overall. However, when you get into income brackets where you claim 0, yet still pay a few thousand at tax time, you start thinking about where the fuck all your money is going

Generally, yes, but it doesn't seem like that's the case for immigration law.
Seems like people expect to break it, maybe get a slap on the wrist, and carry on with their lives.

I don't understand what that has to do with anything? There is a legal way to immigrate.

If you want to circumvent that process, go ahead and roll the dice. If you get caught, you could get sent back. I don't understand why that concept is controversial?

And I was just saying I didn't presume it did, that the possibility just popped into my head because your post reminded me of the kind of thing I'd hear from them.

I know where my tax money is going. It's going to subsidies for big oil/big pharma and to the military industrial complex. It's going to make up for the Lack of taxes paid by the super-rich and multi-billion $/year corporations.

Like I said, reading comprehension ain't your thing... the whole point of my story was an example of the fact that many of these people who are coming here illegally don't just expect a slap on the wrist. They expect their families torn apart, they expect abuse, they expect an un-just system to profile them as violent criminals.

There is a legal way to gain citizenship, and I've personally helped undocumented individuals study the materials they needed to gain legal status.

You make it seem like everything is so cut and dry, so black and white. It's just not.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlteredEgo

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
And I was just saying I didn't presume it did, that the possibility just popped into my head because your post reminded me of the kind of thing I'd hear from them.

Got it.

I know where my tax money is going. It's going to subsidies for big oil/big pharma and to the military industrial complex. It's going to make up for the Lack of taxes paid by the super-rich and multi-billion $/year corporations.

We paid $5k for our last childbirth.

My sister-in-law had one a year later and it was free.

Who do you think covered that?

Side note: Why is she rewarded for being non-productive and financially irresponsible?

They expect their families torn apart

If this is the expectation, then why all the consternation when it actually happens?

You make it seem like everything is so cut and dry, so black and white. It's just not.

Apologies, I'm an engineer :p

The best way to understand something is to break it down to its simplest parts.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
We paid $5k for our last childbirth.
My sister-in-law had one a year later and it was free.
Who do you think covered that?
Side note: Why is she rewarded for being non-productive and financially irresponsible?

If this is the expectation, then why all the consternation when it actually happens?

Apologies, I'm an engineer :p

The best way to understand something is to break it down to its simplest parts.

I'm a firm advocate for a Single Payer healthcare system that would have covered your last childbirth as well as the one your SIL had. I'm not going to answer the last part of that because of what I just said.

Is that a serious question? They take the risk with Hope. When Hope is crushed, it's disheartening, even when you knew it could happen. You must have a hard time viewing things from any perspective other than your own. At least that's what I'm getting from this conversation.

Maybe when you're doing things that don't have anything to do with ya know... Human Emotion. Engineering and social circumstances are 2 very different things. Engineering is all pretty much math, right? Human behavior is not.

ItsAll4Kim

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

firsttimecaller

Expert Member
Media
Is that a serious question? They take the risk with Hope. When Hope is crushed, it's disheartening, even when you knew it could happen. You must have a hard time viewing things from any perspective other than your own. At least that's what I'm getting from this conversation.

I smoke herb everyday.

Because of backwards-ass law, I can be arrested if caught in possession of said herb. If that were to happen, I could lose my job, which would be a pretty shitty circumstance financially.

In spite of that, I choose to do this cause I feel it improves my quality of life. It helps me decompress after writing code all fucking day, and staves off the depressing thought of having to do it again tomorrow.

I would personally probably feel wronged by a bullshit law, but still I knew full well of the consequences.

When you sleep in the bed you yourself make, you shouldnt bitch about it being messy, no?

Maybe when you're doing things that don't have anything to do with ya know... Human Emotion. Engineering and social circumstances are 2 very different things. Engineering is all pretty much math, right? Human behavior is not.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I smoke herb everyday.

Because of backwards-ass law, I can be arrested if caught in possession of said herb. If that were to happen, I could lose my job, which would be a pretty shitty circumstance financially.

In spite of that, I choose to do this cause I feel it improves my quality of life. It helps me decompress after writing code all fucking day, and staves off the depressing thought of having to do it again tomorrow.

I would personally probably feel wronged by a bullshit law, but still I knew full well of the consequences.

When you sleep in the bed you yourself make, you shouldnt bitch about it being messy, no?

Well, cheers sir... I've got a packed bong right here and am willing to share! :p

I appreciate your point, but I think those circumstances are quite different. Trying to move away from an area torn apart by cartel violence and trying to stay high everyday aren't exactly the same thing. The risks are still there in both situations, but the Mota-vations behind them are completely different. I'd say being busted for smoking pot and getting detained and deported aren't really comparable.

The whole messy bed metaphor, doesn't really stick either. Like I said, the motivation for messing up the sheets in the first place plays a role in ones reaction to getting caught up in it. I love my weed, OK... I LOVE IT. I fight for legalization like a motherfucker. But, I wouldn't compare what I consider my right to smoke it to the way someone fleeing their home country feels and when they get caught are just treated like criminals (or worse).

I also want to state, I'm not advocating for a free-for-all and just opening up the borders for any and everyone to come in all willy-nilly. I'm just saying I see this as a much more complicated situation than "They broke rules, they shouldn't bitch about it".